Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bronze tools

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Nick impulse-bought some hand implement thingy from them, which I have
to admit, has hung on the back of the shed door looking unloved. :-(
It was a bit of an expensive impulse-buy, but probably not his worst ...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

What's this, a return to the bronze age?
What next round barrows?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

At that price and with biodynamic connections you have to be joking. You
could get a complete set of tools for the price of one item!

I did have a stainless steel fork once but it snapped whilst digging up
nettles and was immediately put beyond economic repair. It failed
because of poor welding practices by the manufacturer. That convinced me
to buy budget or mid range garden tools that looked and felt right.

Mild steel tools are a lot easier to make and last perfectly well
provided that you look after them properly.

I make an exception for hedge trimmers since I can burn out the ones
they sell in sheds in a single session. I cut a lot of hedges.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

At that price and with biodynamic connections you have to be joking.

I've known them (and their garden) 20 years; they are fulltime, highly
skilled gardeners feeding a sizeable community. I often worked in their
garden when it was run organically. I've seen for myself the
inexplicable transformation in productivity that took place after the
property owner insisted the (somewhat unwilling and cynical) gardeners
to change to biodynamics.

You
could get a complete set of tools for the price of one item!

True. But that hoe is not just perfectly balanced in weight, it has a
subtly shaped wooden handle that fits perfectly in the hands.

The last time I found new tools with such ergonomically comfortable
handles, was a set of hand tools from the Design Centre over 40 years
ago. They were "an extravagance" at the time but have been in daily use
ever since.

Janet.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c1a56e91096bccf989707
@news.individual.net:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

Are you having a laugh?
Impractical, expensive and worthless to a practical gardener.
I wonder why these tools are made from steel now.
A bronze tool would be good in the stone age.
Bronze is a useless alloy today for tools. Soft and blunted easily.
Why? On earth? would somebody re-create these useless tools? And try to
sell them?

My, oh my
Baz
Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/13 09:34, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

At that price and with biodynamic connections you have to be joking. You
could get a complete set of tools for the price of one item!

I did have a stainless steel fork once but it snapped whilst digging up
nettles and was immediately put beyond economic repair. It failed
because of poor welding practices by the manufacturer. That convinced me
to buy budget or mid range garden tools that looked and felt right.

Or better- second^h^h^pre-loved.If they've lasted long enough to *be*
secondhand, they're probably good.

Mild steel tools are a lot easier to make and last perfectly well
provided that you look after them properly.

Mild steeland 'tools' make an oxymoron. Toold like spades, forks and
saws are generally forged cast steel, with a high carbon content.

A mild stel fork would just bend.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/13 12:16, Baz wrote:
Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c1a56e91096bccf989707
@news.individual.net:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

Are you having a laugh?
Impractical, expensive and worthless to a practical gardener.
I wonder why these tools are made from steel now.
A bronze tool would be good in the stone age.
Bronze is a useless alloy today for tools. Soft and blunted easily.
Why? On earth? would somebody re-create these useless tools? And try to
sell them?

*That* depends on the bronze. A small proportion of nickel, silver or
zirconium would make them armour piercing.

I wanted to inlay a piece of steel with low-grade silver, so I melted
some silver in a block of charcoal and added a similar quantity of lead
solder. I then tinned the bits (engraved characters) and melted the
silver/solder mix. When cool, I went to draw-file it to flat, and a good
sharp file just skated over the raised run.

It works for bronze too - but silver isn't 7/6d an ounce like it were
when I were alad.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c1a56e91096bccf989707
@news.individual.net:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

Are you having a laugh?
Impractical, expensive and worthless to a practical gardener.

Are you having another comprehension breakdown? The fulltime paid veg
gardeners who recommended them to me following personal trials. could
hardly be more "practical".

As for the "expense".. I'm sure we all vary in what we consider an
expensive waste of money.

I would not buy spray and waste Provado bug killer at non-bug problems,
for example; or BUY plastic fibre bags to plant up,or commercially
produced plug plants. Or drink myself stupid.

Janet.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-06, David Hill wrote:

On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

What's this, a return to the bronze age?
What next round barrows?

Bring back the digging stick!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-06, David Hill wrote:

On 06/06/2013 09:21, Janet wrote:

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

What's this, a return to the bronze age?
What next round barrows?

Bring back the digging stick!

What do you mean "Bring back"?
I didn't know they were supposed to be gone.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Professional gardener friends run an amazing biodynamic veg garden and
have been using these tools for a few years. They swear by them, and
brought a couple to the last meeting of our local garden club to show
us.. I am smitten by the Sirius hoe :-)
Anybody else tried them?

http://www.implementations.co.uk/site/home

Janet

I have a hoe, spade, trowel and hand fork. One day I hope to buy their
rake.

I find them well made, not too heavy and very usable. Do they increase my
productivity or that of my garden? Don't know. Do I get pleasure from
owning and using them? Yes!.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 2013-06-06, David Hill wrote:

#
Bring back the digging stick!

What do you mean "Bring back"?
I didn't know they were supposed to be gone.

We have one;-) we've often used it to pry out large stones or roots,
loosen holes for fence posts etc.

Janet

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2013 22:57, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 2013-06-06, David Hill wrote:

#
Bring back the digging stick!

What do you mean "Bring back"?
I didn't know they were supposed to be gone.

We have one;-) we've often used it to pry out large stones or roots,
loosen holes for fence posts etc.

Janet

I have a scaffold pole for that sort of thing. Brutal but effective.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
Bronze Star anyone? JimS. Roses 0 30-03-2003 04:20 AM
Bronze leaved buxus sempervirens info wanted Annabel United Kingdom 2 24-02-2003 10:34 AM