Old 17-06-2013, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help identify this plant

Good morning fellow gardeners.

Could you please help identify this plant I seem to recall I got from
the muppets at Thompsons. I suspect it might be a triffid about to
take over the world. It was meant to be a sweet smelling flowery thing
for a cottage wall, like jasmine I recall. The memory is vague, so is
my knowledge of plants. Anyway it took off like a shot but appears to
be liable to throttle everything in site, but as you can see I have
been lazy anyway in not training the darn thing. The flowers are very,
very small and a complete waste of space. Though the bees absolutely
adore it, but I cant smell anything. You can see it here
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

What have I done, and is it worth keeping if I trim it a little and
get it to behave?

TIA
Old 17-06-2013, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger wrote:
Could you please help identify this plant I seem to recall I got from
the muppets at Thompsons. I suspect it might be a triffid about to
take over the world. It was meant to be a sweet smelling flowery thing
for a cottage wall, like jasmine I recall.

Heh, when you said triffid I thought of amaryllis!

It's quite pretty. Is it some kind of honeysuckle?
Old 17-06-2013, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2013 07:40, Roger wrote:
Good morning fellow gardeners.

Could you please help identify this plant I seem to recall I got from
the muppets at Thompsons. I suspect it might be a triffid about to
take over the world. It was meant to be a sweet smelling flowery thing
for a cottage wall, like jasmine I recall. The memory is vague, so is
my knowledge of plants. Anyway it took off like a shot but appears to
be liable to throttle everything in site, but as you can see I have
been lazy anyway in not training the darn thing. The flowers are very,
very small and a complete waste of space. Though the bees absolutely
adore it, but I cant smell anything. You can see it here
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

What have I done, and is it worth keeping if I trim it a little and
get it to behave?

TIA

Could it be simply Pink Jasmine, Jasminum polyanthum

When the flower buds are not yet opened, they look like yours, as on
this pictu

http://0.tqn.com/d/treesandshrubs/1/...rbriweldon.jpg

The leaves look like jasmine too...

Old 17-06-2013, 10:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 17/06/2013 07:40, Roger wrote:
Good morning fellow gardeners.

Could you please help identify this plant I seem to recall I got from
the muppets at Thompsons. I suspect it might be a triffid about to
take over the world. It was meant to be a sweet smelling flowery thing
for a cottage wall, like jasmine I recall. The memory is vague, so is
my knowledge of plants. Anyway it took off like a shot but appears to
be liable to throttle everything in site, but as you can see I have
been lazy anyway in not training the darn thing. The flowers are very,
very small and a complete waste of space. Though the bees absolutely
adore it, but I cant smell anything. You can see it here
Flowers Photos by abbaservices12 | Photobucket

What have I done, and is it worth keeping if I trim it a little and
get it to behave?

TIA

Jasminum beesianum
Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have noticeable scent.
__________________

Old 17-06-2013, 10:08 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have noticeable scent.
But there again ... having looked again at the third photo and zoomed in almost to the point of fuzziness - I agree with David - Jasminium beesianum.
Shouldn't make snap decisions!
__________________
Old 17-06-2013, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/mqwq5qn)

-
Jasminum beesianum

Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular
petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have
leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent.

Oh ye of little faith
2 pics of Jasminum beesianum taken a few mins ago
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd7a6daeb.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps1cee834f.jpg

Incidental a lot of my J beesianum have 6 petals.
Look at the stems in the original picture, you never have honeysuckle
stems like that.
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 17-06-2013, 09:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post

Oh ye of little faith
But you didn't read my second post, did you? ;-)
__________________
Old 17-06-2013, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger" wrote in message
Good morning fellow gardeners.

Could you please help identify this plant I seem to recall I got from
the muppets at Thompsons. I suspect it might be a triffid about to
take over the world. It was meant to be a sweet smelling flowery thing
for a cottage wall, like jasmine I recall. The memory is vague, so is
my knowledge of plants. Anyway it took off like a shot but appears to
be liable to throttle everything in site, but as you can see I have
been lazy anyway in not training the darn thing. The flowers are very,
very small and a complete waste of space. Though the bees absolutely
adore it, but I cant smell anything. You can see it here
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

What have I done, and is it worth keeping if I trim it a little and
get it to behave?

TIA

I think its Jasminum beesianum, rampant thug, pretty flowers but not
scented, its hybrid is better Jasminum x stephanense

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-06-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

David Hill;985275 Wrote:
[...]

Well I think its J beesianum!

Old 18-06-2013, 04:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular
petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have
leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent.

Well I think its J beesianum!

Quite right too! Not all Jasmines have leaves divided into leaflets
and you wouldn't see the 5 typical petals because those flowers in the
pic have yet to open fully. In Lonicera, the pedicels are typically
very short, tight into the leaf base with the calyx reduced to very
short triangular bracts. In Jasminum, the pedicel is elongated and
the calyx is significantly more developed as in the pic.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:16 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
"

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent.

kay[/i][/color]

Well I think its J beesianum!
I've been had by gb, haven't I? Sometimes I think it's personal, the way it deletes my posts (even though I can see them here)
Either that or both of you have simply ignored my post which read

Old 18-06-2013, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2013 23:07, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

That is if you like its washed out pink colour
Old 18-06-2013, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-18 08:16:18 +0100, kay said:

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;985344']"

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent.

kay

Well I think its J beesianum!

I've been had by gb, haven't I? Sometimes I think it's personal, the way
it deletes my posts (even though I can see them here)
Either that or both of you have simply ignored my post which read

"But there again ... having looked again at the third photo and zoomed
in almost to the point of fuzziness - I agree with David - Jasminium
beesianum.
Shouldn't make snap decisions!"[/i][/color]

I didn't see that bit, Kay. Unless you have a particular reason for
going through gb, you might want to research other avenues!! ;-) What
I read from you was only this
"Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular
petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have
leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent."

--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 18-06-2013, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

(
http://tinyurl.com/mqwq5qn)

What have I done, and is it worth keeping if I trim it a little and
get it to behave?

TIA
-
Jasminum beesianum

Definitely not jasmine. There's no indication at all of the five regular
petals of the jasmine flower, the leaves are simple and don't have
leaflets like the jasmine.

One of the honeysuckles is far more likely. Not all of them have
noticeable scent.

--
kay

Well I think its J beesianum!

So do I. Jb is a dismal little runty plant IMO, nothing like the
voluptuous white and cream flowered jasmines. Even its foliage is
boring.

It was one of the first plants I ever bought when I started gardening
and ranks high on the list of nominees for "never again, waste of space,
what a disappointment", etc.

Janet