Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Worms

I never have trouble getting a good supply of compost worms into my bins so
it has raised a question. Why are compost worms for sale?

I believe that all of the Dalek type bins are open bottomed so even if they
are standing on concrete, worms will find the bin, look at when you lift a
wet paving slab or pot, there are worms underneath.

OR; and this is the second question. Are the compost type worms which I find
plentiful naturally, an element or characteristic of of the area 'South of
the Watford Gap' for example?

Mike

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2013 08:00, 'Mike' wrote:
I never have trouble getting a good supply of compost worms into my bins
so it has raised a question. Why are compost worms for sale?

I believe that all of the Dalek type bins are open bottomed so even if
they are standing on concrete, worms will find the bin, look at when you
lift a wet paving slab or pot, there are worms underneath.

OR; and this is the second question. Are the compost type worms which I
find plentiful naturally, an element or characteristic of of the area
'South of the Watford Gap' for example?

Mike

Hi Mike,
I am South/West Durham and always have plenty of compost worms in the bins.

--
Bill P.
Shildon
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I never have trouble getting a good supply of compost worms into my bins so
it has raised a question. Why are compost worms for sale?

I believe that all of the Dalek type bins are open bottomed so even if
they are standing on concrete, worms will find the bin, look at when you
lift a wet paving slab or pot, there are worms underneath.

OR; and this is the second question. Are the compost type worms which I
find plentiful naturally, an element or characteristic of of the area
'South of the Watford Gap' for example?

Mike

The ordinary worm you dig up in the garden processes only soil.
The ones you want process vegetable material.
So if you plonk a compost bin on soil, only the "wrong" worms are likely to
be there,
So you have to get some in. They are small red oness, you find them in
woodland in the leafmould.
Or in piles of rotting horse shit.
Or buy some.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Harry, this is the point. I and others are getting the right ones, not
Garden Worms. I have had emails from North Wales, Kent, (which is still
South of the Watford Gap .............. honest), a lady who has read my
letters in the local papers on another matter in Norfolk, and one person
from the outskirts of Glasgow which "IS" North of the Watford Gap

Why buy them if they are so prolific?

Mike
Way down a long way south of the Watford Gap

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Not so, the proper worms find their way into my compost heap themselves.
all these sites are directed at town people who want to do the best for
wildlife and are not sure how and to make a whole load of money from them.
It's just same with birdfood.
I attract a lot of birds with canary seed/sunflower hearts mixed 50/50. From
Wilkinson, and not expensive.
You can spend a whole load of money online for birdfood which is not
necessary IMO.
Try my recipe, and if you want to feed blackbirds and thrushes, get some
cheap raisins from Asda.
If you want to feed woodpigeons and collared doves, buy a cheap bird mix
that has a load of wheat in.
I actually like woodpigeons, and I am happy to say that after the
sparrowhawk wiped out the collared doves some time ago, I saw a pair on my
TV aeriel today.
Whether that means she is gone I don't know.
I can claim that I might have been the only person that, when I saw her
plucking prey, I thought it was one of my chickens and I knocked her off
with a stick, she flew into a nearby tree.
It was a collared dove, half plucked. I wanted to save it so I picked it
up.
The sparrowhawk swooped and took it out of my hand.
It was an amazing experience.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina, please send the Sparrowhawk towards me. I am plagued by collared doves and wood pigeons, unlike you I have no time for the flying rats!
Tell the Sparrowhawk that he/she is welcome to nest anywhere on my property and is cordially invited to bring a friend or two ;-)
John

In rural Lincolnshire (well north of Watford Gap)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryagain[_2_] View Post
The ordinary worm you dig up in the garden processes only soil.
The ones you want process vegetable material.
So if you plonk a compost bin on soil, only the "wrong" worms are likely to
be there,
So you have to get some in. They are small red oness, you find them in
woodland in the leafmould.
Or in piles of rotting horse shit.
Or buy some.
The "right" worm is usually around in small quantities, but breeds rapidly in high humus conditions, so no need to buy in. Just let them multiply from the few starter individuals which come in from the ordinary garden soil.