Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default J. Parker Bulbs

Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2013 22:08, Frank Booth wrote:
Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

I've used them many times. They've never failed to deliver, but I trust
the quality of their bulbs more than I do of their plants. However, it
was their herbaceous plants, rather than woody material, I had problems
with. Woody material is less likely to collapse in transit.

It may be that they will only send out roses when they are dormant and,
since we've not really had a lasting cold snap to induce dormancy, I
suspect they may be waiting for the right moment. Be patient a while
longer. You may yet receive them in November.

If it makes you feel better, prepare the planting hole in readiness.
I've done this in the past. I then put a large pot or bucket in the
hole to stop soil and detritus falling in. It makes the job so much
easier when the rose comes and bad weather comes with it.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2013 22:08, Frank Booth wrote:
Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

there are still 20 days left of November. Remember the conditions have
to be right for lifting the roses, though Parkers don't grow any of the
things they sell, they are dependant on their suppliers.
They have been around for quite a time, I've dealt with them and found
them OK.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...
Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

Very reputable, quality is what you would expect for the price, if there are
ever any problems they are willing and quick to rectify.

PS I wouldn't expect Roses for another couple of weeks yet its been far too
mild

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...
Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

Thamks for replies. Probably worrying about nothing but I never know with
internet companies who seem to take their time fulfilling orders whom
I havem't dealt with before. Had a few bad experiences before.

Interesting comment that the exceptional mild spell may have delayed lifting
of roses this year. I've noticed that roses are still not dormant yet.

Old 13-11-2013, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:34:18 +0000, Frank Booth said:

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...
Has anyome had any dealings with this company?

I ordered a fair quantity of bare rooted roses from them in early October.
They say in their blurb that plants will be delivered Oct/Nov, but so far
there's been a diquietening silence from them despite them happily taking
my money.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...rose-korresia/

Thamks for replies. Probably worrying about nothing but I never know with
internet companies who seem to take their time fulfilling orders whom
I havem't dealt with before. Had a few bad experiences before.

Interesting comment that the exceptional mild spell may have delayed lifting
of roses this year. I've noticed that roses are still not dormant yet.

It happens a lot with all sorts of things. People are keen to get hold
of a bare root something but nothing will be ready until the leaves are
gone. You have nothing to worry about with Parkers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2013, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:34:18 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

Thanks for that. It is about six weeks now since I submitted my order to
them. I will get concerned if they don't arrive by late November. I'll
contact them then if that nothing arrives by then..

Old 13-11-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:34:18 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

Its also perhaps worth pointing out that they lift and dispatch in strict
order of orders received, 6 weeks ago is relatively late so yours won't be
in the first batch to go out, but as Sacha says you can relax,
--
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk you will get your roses.

Old 30-11-2013, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 11 November 2013 22:37:54 UTC, Spider wrote:
[...]

Well the roses finally arrived today - last day of November. Had they arrived any later they would have been in breach of contract of their own terms. However 3 of the 9 roses delivered were either damaged or of very poor quality. Not good at all. They are going back. Not sure whether to ask for a part refund and buy the remaining 3 elsewhere, or have the damaged roses replaced (and no doubt I'll have a long wait again). I guess my early misgivings of this company turned out to be well founded and I won't be using them again.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-30 23:11:05 +0000, said:

[...]

I'm really sorry to hear this, especially as some of us were reassuring
as to their usual standards. They, like anyone who sells anything
online, are at the mercy of couriers/post office though, so damage may
not be their fault. Poor quality is another matter.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/2013 23:11, wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, Frank, how disappointing! I'm very sorry to be proven right in
this case, but I've had similar experience so I'm not that surprised.
If I were you, I'd cut my losses and ask for my money back rather than
replacements. Hope you can make a go of the better ones.

As I said before, Parkers bulbs are not bad, especially if you order
early. I still use them for bulbs because their prices are reasonable,
but I would understand if you wanted no more to do with them.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-30 23:11:05 +0000, said:

[...]

I ordered some bulbs from their cheapie sale leaflet. All arrived OK
apart from 5 cyclamen hederifolium corms which were so shrivelled I
doubt they'll do anything. The bulbs, mini-daffs, iris and tulips,
seemed healthy enough.
I also ordered some astrantia and echinacea from them. These arrived
last week, all bare-rooted in poly-bags. Time will tell.....
I also ordered 5 "free" cyclamen plants from a firm in Guernsey. These
also arrived on Saturday, each in a 2 1/2 inch square pot, in
poly-bags. All growth had been cut to less than 1 inch above soil
level. Somewhat of a challenge for me!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-30 23:11:05 +0000, said:

[...]

Hi Pam,

I don't know how well you know Cyclmen but, if you see no growth on
them, don't throw them out until you've checked that the bulb is firm
and healthy, as they show no signs of life above soil level in the
dormant season. Many people have thrown out cyclmen (esp. outdoor
types) because the tuber is very hard and looks somewhat like a pebble.
A rotten tuber is very clearly that, so there should be no mistake!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

I don't know how well you know Cyclmen but, if you see no growth on
them, don't throw them out until you've checked that the bulb is firm
and healthy, as they show no signs of life above soil level in the
dormant season. Many people have thrown out cyclmen (esp. outdoor
types) because the tuber is very hard and looks somewhat like a pebble.
A rotten tuber is very clearly that, so there should be no mistake!

And remember that they have TWO dormant seasons, in nature and in
many conditions! Where they come from, winters are damn cold and
summers are hot and waterless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/11/2013 23:11, wrote:
[...]

Phone them tomorrow, explain the problem and say you are not happy with
the quality and condition of 3 of the roses,
Offer to send them back (I'd take a couple of pictures of the said
plants so you can email them to Parkers.)
Chances are they will offer replacements and not want the damaged ones back.
I've had replacements of dahlia tubers from them and never a quibble.
Remember that most plants you buy from large mail order firms are
probably grown in Ho;;and, shipped to some packing station where they
are packed by someone who knows next to nothing about plants and who
just packs what ever is in front of them, then they are put together as
an order and shipped out possibly by some carrier that doesn't care how
they handle packs as they just want to get them sent through asap.
If you want the best quality roses then get them from a British rose grower.