Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Wedding flowers!

One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church
and marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give
to wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2013 19:16, sacha wrote:
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church and
marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give to
wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"

Nice bit of fun Sacha,
Any idea what part of the year it will be?
I'd forget about tubs and troughs, and just go for pots that could then
be used plunged into troughs and tubs so that you are using the best,
I'd top the pots off when they are in the troughs with moss, if in the
church then it wont make a mess like peat or bark etc could, also it can
be raised if a pot is taller than the container.
Remember black pots don't show up as much as terracotta ones.
I'd be treating it like some of the displays I've done for flower shows.
By using pots you can also use smaller shrubs etc
Have fun
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-03 20:40:01 +0000, David Hill said:

On 03/12/2013 19:16, sacha wrote:
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church and
marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give to
wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"

Nice bit of fun Sacha,
Any idea what part of the year it will be?

Late summer/early autumn, I think.

I'd forget about tubs and troughs, and just go for pots that could then
be used plunged into troughs and tubs so that you are using the best,
I'd top the pots off when they are in the troughs with moss, if in the
church then it wont make a mess like peat or bark etc could, also it
can be raised if a pot is taller than the container.
Remember black pots don't show up as much as terracotta ones.
I'd be treating it like some of the displays I've done for flower shows.
By using pots you can also use smaller shrubs etc
Have fun
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay

Yes, sounds a good idea, David. I'll make sure we have some extra moss
from the hanging baskets! We may well be having a marquee on the lawn
and what you suggest woud look lovely there. I'll do some cut flowers
in church but depending on how much help I have, your idea would work
well for the porch and perhaps, the window sills. At present, the my
daughter and the groom's mother want to help too, but I do think the
bride may find she's got other things on her mind by then! We quite
often get panicky brides or their mothers in here about a month before
a wedding, suddenly realising they haven't given any thought to how to
decorate the house or marquee, or have the garden looking wonderful!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2013 19:16, sacha wrote:
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church and
marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give to
wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"

Congratulations, Sacha! That's excellent news. I'm sure it will all go
well and I'm sure Ray's tickled pink, despite the laid back appearance!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under starter's
orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc. for next
year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church and marquee.
I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give to wedding
plans - "what are you worrying about?"
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Well, some mothers /do/ go into orbit don't they...:-)

Bill

Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-05 22:17:49 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church
and marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give
to wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Well, some mothers /do/ go into orbit don't they...:-)

Bill

Well, I thought it was a bit unfair, considering he can become a tad
irritated with brides or mums who turn up two weeks before the wedding
and expect us to find burgeoning containers and large mature plants for
them! The main thing is to set the date and book the church and that
has been done! The rest is just a big party afterwards and a 'what
shall we wear?' thing for the girls!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-05 22:17:49 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
One of my daughters has just become engaged and Raymond is under
starter's orders to plant up some *beautiful* tubs/pots/containers etc.
for next year, in the hope/expectation we'll need to decorate church
and marquee. I've had that slightly baffled response men seem to give
to wedding plans - "what are you worrying about?"

Well, some mothers /do/ go into orbit don't they...:-)

Well, I thought it was a bit unfair, considering he can become a tad
irritated with brides or mums who turn up two weeks before the wedding
and expect us to find burgeoning containers and large mature plants for
them! The main thing is to set the date and book the church and that
has been done! The rest is just a big party afterwards and a 'what
shall we wear?' thing for the girls!

As a clergywoman I know says. "For a wedding all you need are a
couple, a minister and two witnesses. Everything else is extras."
--
Phil Cook
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-05 22:17:49 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

That's absolutely true but it's nice not to upset the friends and rellies, too!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/7/2013 5:59 AM, Phil Cook wrote:

As a clergywoman I know says. "For a wedding all you need are a couple,
a minister and two witnesses. Everything else is extras."

We had a slightly larger wedding - us, the minister, our siblings, and
our parents.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-05 22:17:49 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I remember when I used to do wedding flowers how often the poor bride
had no say, it was Mum who said what the bride wanted and no argument.
but I remember one poor girl coming in on a Friday morning , about 10
months pregnant wanting to know if I could do any sort of bouquet for
her wedding the next morning,
She was a real slip of a girl and I reckon that the pregnancy must have
increased her weight by almost 50%.
I did an orchid bouquet of just cymbidium orchids and gyp, The orchids
had been in flower for almost 3 months, so she had it for £10.00, she
was over the moon.
Ah ! Those were the days.
David
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-05 22:17:49 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's far too easy to slip into Bridesmumzilla etc. Not only
would I never be permitted to do that by my daughter, I am simply not
interested in that myself. I just want them to have what makes their
day as easygoing as it can be. Whatever any wedding turns out to be,
imo, it has to suit the personalities of the bride and groom. These
two are relaxed, casual, not into 'show'.

Yes, there are certain obligations to be met but there are also ways
round those! The flower thing - just for future reference - is very
personal to me and my daughter. She has often helped me 'do' flowers in
the church she'll be married in, so she wants to help me do flowers for
her own wedding and she'd like her future mother in law to be involved,
too. Of course, we could just turn the whole thing over to a florist
and I know one who would make it perfection, but what my daughter and
her future husband want is something personal and country, relaxed and
easy. And there'll be hell to pay if they don't have it, dammit! ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com