Old 14-12-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I've been thinking....

I've been thinking, Newsgroups are slowly dying as less and less people seem
able to get to them. Most new computer users use web based mail which means
they cannot get to the wealth of Newsgroups, indeed they have no way of
knowing about them. What is needed is an App for phones, tablets and modern
computers that allows them to get to Usenet and it's Newsgroups, allows them
to read and post and that deals with Ngs in the conventional way. A
"killfile" would be nice too.
Anyone out there capable of writing such an App?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 15-12-2013, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 23:16:30 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

What is needed is an App for phones, tablets and modern
computers that allows them to get to Usenet and it's Newsgroups,

http://www.ngrblog.com/best-usenet-apps/ :-)

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)
Old 15-12-2013, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/12/2013 23:16, Bob Hobden wrote:
I've been thinking, Newsgroups are slowly dying as less and less people seem
able to get to them. Most new computer users use web based mail which means
they cannot get to the wealth of Newsgroups, indeed they have no way of
knowing about them. What is needed is an App for phones, tablets and modern
computers that allows them to get to Usenet and it's Newsgroups, allows them
to read and post and that deals with Ngs in the conventional way. A
"killfile" would be nice too.
Anyone out there capable of writing such an App?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I believe that the newsreader considered most suitable for use with
android is Piaohong. See
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ewsgroup&hl=en
or
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wsReader&hl=en
for free version. Or just do a web search on "Piaohong".
Unfortunately it seems to be available only from the Google store, so I
haven't tried it.
There are quite a few other Newsreaders which are just that - you can
read posts but can't make them!

--

Jeff
Old 15-12-2013, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've been thinking, Newsgroups are slowly dying as less and less people seem
able to get to them. Most new computer users use web based mail which means
they cannot get to the wealth of Newsgroups, indeed they have no way of
knowing about them. What is needed is an App for phones, tablets and modern
computers that allows them to get to Usenet and it's Newsgroups, allows them
to read and post and that deals with Ngs in the conventional way. A
"killfile" would be nice too.
Anyone out there capable of writing such an App?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I.ve been wishing that too. I use my iPad much more than my PC and
would like to be able to acces URG on the iPad.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-12-2013, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I've been thinking, Newsgroups are slowly dying as less and less people
seem
able to get to them. Most new computer users use web based mail which
means
they cannot get to the wealth of Newsgroups, indeed they have no way of
knowing about them. What is needed is an App for phones, tablets and
modern
computers that allows them to get to Usenet and it's Newsgroups, allows
them
to read and post and that deals with Ngs in the conventional way. A
"killfile" would be nice too.
Anyone out there capable of writing such an App?

I.ve been wishing that too. I use my iPad much more than my PC and
would like to be able to acces URG on the iPad.

I mentioned this on another Ng and they say there are already suitable apps
available for Apple and Android, the Newsreader for Apple products is News
Tap. Let us know how you get on Pam if you use it.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-12-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:12:13 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

[]

I mentioned this on another Ng and they say there are already suitable
apps available for Apple and Android, the Newsreader for Apple products
is News Tap. Let us know how you get on Pam if you use it.

I installed a free app called "newstap lite" ('lite' drives me bats),
although I still have it on the phone it was unusable and I haven't
opened it for over a year.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 16-12-2013, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote:

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:12:13 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

[]

I mentioned this on another Ng and they say there are already suitable
apps available for Apple and Android, the Newsreader for Apple products
is News Tap. Let us know how you get on Pam if you use it.

I installed a free app called "newstap lite" ('lite' drives me bats),
although I still have it on the phone it was unusable and I haven't
opened it for over a year.

I've got newstap lite on my iPad. It's not the greatest piece of
software in the world, but it will do the job. It won't stand
comparison with other good Newsreaders but alas it's the only one I've
found that will do a half way decent job.
Be patient because someone, somewhere will write a piece of software to
do the job better than it does.

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 16-12-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:12:13 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

I downloaded the app but it needs configuring and I don't want to mess
up so that I can't use Agent on the PC, so I'm not going to use it
until anyone else has tried it!

Pam in Bristol

I been thinking harry United Kingdom 5 19-11-2010 09:13 AM
Thinking about seeking a landscape designer - need advice Sarah Mould United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 06:56 PM
Thinking about a worm bin Bill Tschumy Texas 6 04-03-2003 09:41 AM
[IBC] Thinking to the Shuttle crew Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 04:27 PM
Thinking to the Shuttle crew Chiara Padrini Bonsai 1 02-02-2003 07:21 PM