Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Floods?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How are you all doing regarding flooding?
Here we are just a couple of hundred yards from the Thames, luckily on a
raised bit of ground, but I noticed today the river is over it's banks and
lapping against the walls of the Swan pub in The Hythe opposite Staines.
Around Chertsey Bridge this afternoon the roads there were virtual

gridlock
(took me over 30 mins instead of 5 to negotiate) as the B375 on the
Middlesex side was flooded for over 200 yards to the roundabout and

drivers
were rightly taking their time driving through it, didn't help that a

large
caravan was parked at the side of the road (the driver was having a chat)
forcing everyone over to the other, deeper, side of the road! (and they
wonder why they get disliked!) Thorpe Park lake has risen over it's bank

and
is now flooding onto/across the Staines Road A320. Fields are flooded, not
just wet, all around.

I live in NW London, and here one of the lawns surrounding our block of
flats is waterlogged. The nearby rose bed is under water too. Not sure what
effect that will have on the roses. But up the road from me is a large park,
and a small part of that is waterlogged resembling a pond with trees arising
from ot. A bit like the Florida everglades in there. I'll put up a photo in
a few days.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 10:53, David Rance wrote:
Sonning Bridge over the Thames near Reading has been closed for a couple
of days and the road from Playhatch to Sonning (B478) is flooded. I got
through ok on Sunday though the water wasn't far off the level of the
road, but now it's impassable. I have to go that way (to Easthampstead
Park Crematorium to play for a funeral) on Thursday and it looks as
though I shall have to go across Reading Bridge. But with flooding here
and there, and consequent traffic chaos, I think I shall allow a couple
of hours where the journey would normally take me half an hour. Road
drains are not taking the water away and so there are many places around
here where the water is across the roads.

Mentioning Playhatch, there is a garden centre there by the roundabout.
On Sunday it was ok, but now the car park is completely flooded so
they've had to close. There is a pub nearby called the Flowing Spring.
Never was a pub so aptly named!

David

All, round Reading the ditches are very very full. I went from Camberely
cross country to Swallowfield the other night and the ditches were at
least the level of the roads with water spilling out all along the route.

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 14-01-2014, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

[...]

The Environment Agency have now removed the flood warning for our area, it
isn't getting any worse for the foreseeable future. Just got to go back into
the river now so the roads can reopen.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-01-2014, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

[...]

I gave an illustrated talk to a group in Ryde this afternoon and had to get
their via a road which has been closed, on and off according to the rainfall
and tide situation, and wondered how I was going to get on. The road was
well clear both there and back. I think that problem is over.

My next talk is in the opposite direction, Ventnor on Saturday to quite a
large society so I hope they, and I, can make it.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk