Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Floods?

How are you all doing regarding flooding?
Here we are just a couple of hundred yards from the Thames, luckily on a
raised bit of ground, but I noticed today the river is over it's banks and
lapping against the walls of the Swan pub in The Hythe opposite Staines.
Around Chertsey Bridge this afternoon the roads there were virtual gridlock
(took me over 30 mins instead of 5 to negotiate) as the B375 on the
Middlesex side was flooded for over 200 yards to the roundabout and drivers
were rightly taking their time driving through it, didn't help that a large
caravan was parked at the side of the road (the driver was having a chat)
forcing everyone over to the other, deeper, side of the road! (and they
wonder why they get disliked!) Thorpe Park lake has risen over it's bank and
is now flooding onto/across the Staines Road A320. Fields are flooded, not
just wet, all around.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:09:12 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

How are you all doing regarding flooding?

Not problem at all but if we had flooding the rest you you would be
in serious trouble being at 1400' on the side of a steep sided
valley.

But with the gales and driving rain the water get im anyway. Damp
patches in the plaster at several windows and puddle in utilty room
where it drips from the inside edge of the outside doors reveal. I
think the rain must get blow up under the flashing and over the top
of the slates of the porch. The sarking looks as if it goes up the
wall behind the vertical flashing but how far ... Water with a gale
behind it can drive up quite a way.

Here we are just a couple of hundred yards from the Thames,

A "slow response" river ... Have you found the online guageing
stations on the EA's
website?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/136488.aspx?stationId=7268

Teddington Lock, I think the spikes are tidal influences, at least
they match those at Thames Tideway at
RIchmond:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/136488.aspx?stationId=7393

Compare the overall gentle rise in level (ignoring the tidal effects)
with our local
river:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/120691.aspx?stationId=8007

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-07 23:09:12 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

Amazingly wet and boggy land here but no flooding for us. Run off from
the fields is pouring down the lanes, sometimes at the sides, sometimes
gushing back up storm drains where others are blocked with leaves and
sometimes right down the middle of the lane but again, nothing deep or
hazardous.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Micker Brook flows by my garden and it is much higher than usual but
it is still draining into the River Mersey with no flooding. It will
take a lot more rain before there is any overflow.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus neural network software http://www.easynn.com

Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

Sonning Bridge over the Thames near Reading has been closed for a couple
of days and the road from Playhatch to Sonning (B478) is flooded. I got
through ok on Sunday though the water wasn't far off the level of the
road, but now it's impassable. I have to go that way (to Easthampstead
Park Crematorium to play for a funeral) on Thursday and it looks as
though I shall have to go across Reading Bridge. But with flooding here
and there, and consequent traffic chaos, I think I shall allow a couple
of hours where the journey would normally take me half an hour. Road
drains are not taking the water away and so there are many places around
here where the water is across the roads.

Mentioning Playhatch, there is a garden centre there by the roundabout.
On Sunday it was ok, but now the car park is completely flooded so
they've had to close. There is a pub nearby called the Flowing Spring.
Never was a pub so aptly named!

David

Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

We seem to be on the edge of their maps so nothing local there for us I can
find. The Thames does react slowly both ways, it takes a long time to come
up and a similar long time to go down. The River Mole I used to fish you
could actually see it rising after rain.

Just had a Flood warning by phone and email "Imminent warning of flooding,
get valuables and pets upstairs etc etc.expect flooding similar to 2003"
which means we should be OK here, friends won't though, pictures on Facebook
show their garden is already part of the river. I blame the Flood Relief
Channel upstream, we didn't have this problem previously, well not since the
pictures I have of 1947.

As well as Chertsey Bridge B375 being closed I understand the busy Windsor
Road A308 across Runnymede Meadow is now shut as is the huge Runnymede
Hotel. There are traffic problems already all around this area as people use
unusual routes to try to get across the river and around the flooded roads
and it will get worse as the school run and rush hour starts. Am I glad I'm
retired!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 Bob Hobden wrote:

We seem to be on the edge of their maps so nothing local there for us I
can find. The Thames does react slowly both ways, it takes a long time
to come up and a similar long time to go down. The River Mole I used to
fish you could actually see it rising after rain.

Whatever the Thames does in Oxford on one day it will do in Reading the
next. That's how long it takes for the water to flow down river. So I
guess that where you are will be another day later still. Purley on
Thames (just up river from Reading) is badly affected so it'll be on
it's way down to you soon - tomorrow or the next day!

David

Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

We seem to be on the edge of their maps so nothing local there for us I
can find. The Thames does react slowly both ways, it takes a long time
to come up and a similar long time to go down. The River Mole I used to
fish you could actually see it rising after rain.

Whatever the Thames does in Oxford on one day it will do in Reading the
next. That's how long it takes for the water to flow down river. So I
guess that where you are will be another day later still. Purley on
Thames (just up river from Reading) is badly affected so it'll be on
it's way down to you soon - tomorrow or the next day!

The warning said it would still be rising for the next three days.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-08 10:53:23 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

This is a bit spectacular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfZRh...ature=youtu.be
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-09 08:57:02 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:08:07 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

This is a bit spectacular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfZRh...ature=youtu.be

As is this, at Porthleven just down the coast from us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozU3TkpDWQ

Genuinely phenomenal. I read the other day that coastguards and police
somewhere in Cornwall received mouthfuls of abuse from people when
warned not to get too close to the raging sea. Apparently, these idiots
hadn't realised not only the power of the sea itself but that rocks,
pebbles and even small boulders were being hurled ashore. These are
probably the sort who would complain that a lifeboat or ambulance
hadn't arrived within 20 seconds of a call they'd had to make entirely
due to their own fault.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-08 10:53:23 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

When the Sennen lifeboat shed is flooded take to the hills. :-)

I was watching that and hoping they wouldn't get a 'shout'. Someone
surfing had to be rescued on another part of the coast and one can only
imagine he had suicidal tendencies!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Genuinely phenomenal. I read the other day that coastguards and police
somewhere in Cornwall received mouthfuls of abuse from people when
warned not to get too close to the raging sea. Apparently, these idiots
hadn't realised not only the power of the sea itself but that rocks,
pebbles and even small boulders were being hurled ashore. These are
probably the sort who would complain that a lifeboat or ambulance
hadn't arrived within 20 seconds of a call they'd had to make entirely
due to their own fault.

But nothing is ever their fault, ever, it's always someone else's fault.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-09 18:18:22 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
Genuinely phenomenal. I read the other day that coastguards and police
somewhere in Cornwall received mouthfuls of abuse from people when
warned not to get too close to the raging sea. Apparently, these idiots
hadn't realised not only the power of the sea itself but that rocks,
pebbles and even small boulders were being hurled ashore. These are
probably the sort who would complain that a lifeboat or ambulance
hadn't arrived within 20 seconds of a call they'd had to make entirely
due to their own fault.

But nothing is ever their fault, ever, it's always someone else's fault.

I'm afraid so. We seem to have too many growing up to know their right
but not their responsibilities.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:36:39 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Genuinely phenomenal. I read the other day that coastguards and police
somewhere in Cornwall received mouthfuls of abuse from people when
warned not to get too close to the raging sea.

Perhaps it's about time that there was a legal way to withdraw the
emergency services from such people. Some phrase like your rights
that have to be read to you when you are arrested. Once it has been
quoted to you, you are on your own, full stop.

Apparently, these idiots hadn't realised not only the power of the sea
itself but that rocks, pebbles and even small boulders were being hurled
ashore.

Aye, fast flowing water not much over 12" deep can have you off your
feet quite easily, 12" is more than enough to carry you along where
ever it wants to take you. As for getting in the way of a large wave
that is probably going to hit you with half a tonne of water...

And rock is remarkably bouyant in water. Several times I've been
watching the becks in flood around here and heard the clonk clonk
clonk of the small boulders (12 to 18") across that make up the beck
bed being shifted. Things that size are effectively glued to the
ground most of the time.

--
Cheers
Dave.