Old 07-05-2003, 11:32 PM
AllanJohnson

Default How do I grow a tree from a branch?

In message , MC Emily
writes
Hi

I have a Cherry tree with a branch (about 12" long) below the graft. If I
cut it off, how do I get it to grow into a tree? Does it need rooting
hormone or something? Do I do it indoors or outdoors? Is it the wrong time
of year? I'm not sure what to do with it but I hate letting things die and
have plenty of room for new trees, so I'd like to grow it on. Any advice
would be most welcome. Thanks.

Jaqy

Don't cut it, CRACK IT. Thumbs on top, press down so that underside
breaks open. Then either bury the break in the ground( layering) while
still attached to main tree or bind a bag/pot of soil/compost around the
break. Either way ,roots will generate from the break in the bark.
Leave for at least SIX MONTHS. Inspect root growth every other month(
carefully). Only detach from parent tree when roots well established and
leaf growth is healthy. Then treat as new tree.
--
AllanJohnson