Old 27-01-2014, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vitamin C rooting magic

Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

--
Sue

Old 27-01-2014, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/01/2014 14:00, Indigo wrote:
Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

I've also heard of using soluble Aspirin.
Old 27-01-2014, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Indigo wrote:
Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

I've also heard of using soluble Aspirin.

That's for when the whole lot fail and you get a headache! :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-01-2014, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Indigo" wrote

Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

As I usually only take cuttings from Pelagonium Doris Moore I never use
rooting powder.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-01-2014, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/01/2014 15:18, David Hill wrote:
On 27/01/2014 14:00, Indigo wrote:
Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

I've also heard of using soluble Aspirin.

Soluble aspirin has good reason to work the active ingredient is an
analogue of a plant growth hormone found in willow bark. Although it
tends to mediate the flowering stem elongation response which might not
be all that helpful for rooting a cutting.

I can't see ascorbic acid being any more effective for striking cuttings
than any other randomly chosen weak fruit acid.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 28-01-2014, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:35:13 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I can't see ascorbic acid being any more effective for striking cuttings
than any other randomly chosen weak fruit acid.

It's a good antioxidant. Does taking cuttings produce free radicals? If so
it may prevent damage to the cutting. Probably.
Old 28-01-2014, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/01/2014 18:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Indigo" wrote

Christine Walkden was demonstrating taking cuttings on a recent 'Great
Garden Revival' episode and said she tends to use vitamin C tablets
dissolved in water instead of hormone rooting powder when it was
necessary.

I don't generally use any hormone powder for the relatively small number
of cuttings I do, as it goes off and I end up throwing most away and
regretting the purchase. I wondered if anyone here had tried the vit C
method and if you'd recommend it to increase 'strike' rate?

As I usually only take cuttings from Pelagonium Doris Moore I never use
rooting powder.

Years ago, when the Co-op used to give gardening lectures I went to one
all about cuttings. The talker swore by pushing a corn seed into the
stem. He had a scientific explanation for it. Considering that the Co-op
(at that time) sold rooting compound I guess he was very brave, or foolish.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I was watching a Youtube tutorial some time ago and the guy was using honey as rooting compound, I think it was on Geranium cuttings.

I have never bothered doing Geraniums before, so thought I would give it a go. I did two with rooting powder and two with honey, only one took and that was one of the I ones I did with honey, may have just been luck or my bad skills for not getting the other three to take.

Can any one shed more light on using honey as rooting compound ???????

If there is any foundation in this theory and being a beekeeper myself I was wondering if raw honey would work best, i.e. has not had all the goodness filtered out of it.

Thanks.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 01:21:03 -0800 (PST), Shudderdun
wrote:

I was watching a Youtube tutorial some time ago and the guy was using honey as rooting compound, I think it was on Geranium cuttings.

I have never bothered doing Geraniums before, so thought I would give it a go. I did two with rooting powder and two with honey, only one took and that was one of the I ones I did with honey, may have just been luck or my bad skills for not getting the other three to take.

Can any one shed more light on using honey as rooting compound ???????

If there is any foundation in this theory and being a beekeeper myself I was wondering if raw honey would work best, i.e. has not had all the goodness filtered out of it.

Thanks.

My immediate thoughts are that a) honey might attract ants and b)
geraniums are very easy to root with no treatment at all.
Does anyone know what rooting hormone powder or liquid is composed of?

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-01-2014, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was watching a Youtube tutorial some time ago and the guy was using honey as rooting compound, I think it was on Geranium cuttings.

I have never bothered doing Geraniums before, so thought I would give it a go. I did two with rooting powder and two with honey, only one took and that was one of the I ones I did with honey, may have just been luck or my bad skills for not getting the other three to take.

Can any one shed more light on using honey as rooting compound ???????

If there is any foundation in this theory and being a beekeeper myself I was wondering if raw honey would work best, i.e. has not had all the goodness filtered out of it.

My immediate thoughts are that a) honey might attract ants and b)
geraniums are very easy to root with no treatment at all.

Sugars are supposed to help, in some cases.

Does anyone know what rooting hormone powder or liquid is composed of?

Not in detail, but the active ingredients are gibberellins (whatever
they are, beyond being 'plant hormones').

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-01-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/01/2014 12:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:43:49 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Does anyone know what rooting hormone powder or liquid is composed of?

Pam in Bristol

AIUI there are several different compounds that can be used in hormone
rooting powders/liquids although naphthalene acetic acid is quite
common. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Naphthaleneacetic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_compound

They say willow tea works well.
Old 31-01-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me Me is offline

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 00:01:12 +0100, Martin wrote:

I've also heard of using soluble Aspirin.

That's for when the whole lot fail and you get a headache! :-)

Christine Walden HRT :-)

Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me Me is offline

Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/01/14 16:43, me wrote:

--
Rusty Hinge