Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default little conifer

"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to
grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I can't name it off the top of my head, but my immediate neighbour had
one exactly like that. It eventually grew until it was interfering with
the telephone cables. It had to be removed.

If you decide to get rid of yours, make sure there isn't a TPO (Tree
Preservation Order) on it, or you could be fined for chopping it down
without permission.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Can I just point out to urglers, that a TPO does not have to be only "A"
specific tree, it can be applied to an 'area' as I found when I was a local
Councillor resurrecting an area which had been a football ground and fallen
into being a dump and a 'Traveller's Squat Camp'. Once they were removed and
we took possession, clearance started and we were struck with a "Blanket
TPO", even on small saplings!!! . Bit of a fuss but we won :-)

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2014 17:18, David Hill wrote:
On 10/02/2014 16:59, Spider wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going
to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I can't name it off the top of my head, but my immediate neighbour had
one exactly like that. It eventually grew until it was interfering with
the telephone cables. It had to be removed.

If you decide to get rid of yours, make sure there isn't a TPO (Tree
Preservation Order) on it, or you could be fined for chopping it down
without permission.

It annoys me when you see packs of 6 "Miniature" conifers all about 8 to
9 inches tall, but all of which will grow to 10 to 20 ft in the next 10
years.

I know exactly what you mean, David, it drives me mad, too.
Of course, they're meant to be used for 'bedding statement' planting,
but when they grow past that usage, gardeners put them in their borders
without appreciating the consequences. These mini conifers should at
least be labeled so gardeners can research the ultimate height before
choosing to plant.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
[...]

I thought they'd gone out of fashion back in the 70s when those and
heather beds were all the thing. I hated both!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
[...]

Quite so. I didn't hate it exactly, but there were many poor examples
of that kind of planting which, I'm sure put a lot of people off. I've
seen it done well and it can be quite attractive, but I wouldn't want an
entire garden of conifers and heathers.

We're having three Lawson's Cypress lopped very soon. I've held on to
them for a long time because they offer good shelter to very small
birds. However, They are now casting so much shade that a couple of
paths have thick moss on them all year round. Both paths have an
incline, so they've become very dangerous. They will be lopped at
roughly 6-8ft (I've given the tree surgeon aesthetic licence) so that
their trunks remain as part of a mixed hedge.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-02-2014, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
[...]

I'm not a great conifer fan, though there are a few I like very much,
Pinus patula being one of them and cedars. What I particularly disliked
back in the day, was the fashion for stubby little conifers, often in a
vile (to me) golden colour, dotted around among tracts of heather in
lots of different colours. It just goes to show that is 'fashion' in
garden terms. I know of few people who would plant up a garden in that
way now unless they're particularly fond of heathers, of course!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
Quite so. I didn't hate it exactly, but there were many poor examples
of that kind of planting which, I'm sure put a lot of people off. I've
seen it done well and it can be quite attractive, but I wouldn't want an
entire garden of conifers and heathers.
When I moved into my house there were a lot of conifers in the garden, and some were crowded in together. I chopped down a few that were obviously wrong immediately, and they all had the same number of rings, so it was obviously an "arrangement" done which probably looked nice for a couple of years but soon became ridiculous because of the differing growth rates. As I've watched them grow over the years I've removed more and more of them, though I've kept a few that aren't too big... yet.

There are some conifers that will still be less than a couple of feet high after 50 years. So maybe they will be too big one day, but that one day is a very long time away. My neighbour clearly knew his plants because he has a miniature conifer arrangement and they are still all small plants and they have been in at least 20 years. He's a retired professional gardener, but he reckons he has to ask his wife to choose the plants.

Incidentally there do appear to be a few more conifers than just yew which can be clipped back like a hardwood bush and will regrow, because some of the ones that used to be in my garden behaved like that when I tried clipping them back, they just regrew even faster. But on the whole they aren't so common.