Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New neighbours

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Sacha" wrote
, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to get
so territorial I don't know.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day up
at the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to say
keep your dog in the back of the house. Now I might.
If they have just cut your trees back on their side of the dividing
fence then that is their right, I do the same to the end of my
neighbours Leylandii hedge as I don't want it overhanging my garden.
However if they have damaged your trees on your side of the fence
without asking and getting your permission then that is wrong and they
should be told so. Of course they could have cut back the trees so they
could erect a fence to keep their dog in but it would have been
neighbourly to tell you first.

Keep a diary of the dog's noise but firstly, do try the softly softly
approach.

I will do both. I will try hard not to say "you got a saw to my damson
trees and now you have ruined them"
FG sake, we have a 150 yd long garden and its never been a problem if
someone tree sticks out over it a few inches or feet.

I understand what you are saying but some people have a problem with trees
overhanging into their space.
I had one new neighbour and the very first thing she said to me when I tried
to introduce myself was, "So it's your tree overhanging my garden, get it
cut back", no please or nice to meet you or anything. Yet another moved
into a mature garden with fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they needed some
pruning, and the first and only thing they did in the garden was cut
everything off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set fire to
it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until they moved
on.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

My New allotment ( and neighbours) Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 3 19-12-2006 10:23 PM
Camellia and neighbours extension SarahH United Kingdom 16 25-11-2003 10:22 PM
My neighbours big plum tree. dommy United Kingdom 4 03-05-2003 11:56 PM
Neighbours Mike United Kingdom 29 15-04-2003 10:57 PM
Neighbours Help Ophelia United Kingdom 55 11-04-2003 10:32 AM