Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New neighbours

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to get so
territorial I don't know.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day up at
the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to say keep your
dog in the back of the house. Now I might.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to get so
territorial I don't know.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day up at
the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to say keep your
dog in the back of the house. Now I might.

If they have just cut your trees back on their side of the dividing fence
then that is their right, I do the same to the end of my neighbours
Leylandii hedge as I don't want it overhanging my garden. However if they
have damaged your trees on your side of the fence without asking and getting
your permission then that is wrong and they should be told so. Of course
they could have cut back the trees so they could erect a fence to keep their
dog in but it would have been neighbourly to tell you first.
--
Regards.
Bob Hobden.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-08 23:01:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

Keep a diary of the dog's noise but firstly, do try the softly softly approach.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops
and hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to
get so territorial I don't know.

They can legally trim your trees to the fence-line without your permission
and they have to hand (or offer) the cuttings back to you - and if the
situation was anything like my neighbours trees they were a damned nuisance.

The trees were overhanging the garden causing damage to a shed roof and
fence, created a heavy shade in a part of the garden that I was trying to
cultivate and the roots of his silver birch were causing damage to a patio
and lawn - as luck happened, he wasn't to bothered about me trimming them
back and disposing of the cuttings (including the large birch branch that
had damaged the shed).

Towards the end of last year though, all the major problems were resolved
as he employed a tree-surgeon to cut the birch down and kill the stump
because of the damage it was causing to my property and other neighbouring
ones.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day
up at the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to
say keep your dog in the back of the house. Now I might.

You are legally entitled to report the dog nuisance to the Environmental
Health Department of your Local Authority.

My advice is to do as I did, keep things friendly and calm whilst explaining
your concerns to your new neighbour about the tree trimming and ask if their
was a particular reason for doing so - as a matter of interest, what was the
height and spread of your trees?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-08 23:01:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

I will do both. I will try hard not to say "you got a saw to my damson trees
and now you have ruined them"
FG sake, we have a 150 yd long garden and its never been a problem if
someone tree sticks out over it a few inches or feet.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Sacha" wrote
, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

I understand what you are saying but some people have a problem with trees
overhanging into their space.
I had one new neighbour and the very first thing she said to me when I tried
to introduce myself was, "So it's your tree overhanging my garden, get it
cut back", no please or nice to meet you or anything. Yet another moved
into a mature garden with fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they needed some
pruning, and the first and only thing they did in the garden was cut
everything off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set fire to
it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until they moved
on.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops
and hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to
get so territorial I don't know.

Regardless of all these legal factors Christina has my every sympathy
especially over the Damson trees.
One can only hope that the neighbours did not realise the species of tree
being chopped
and are a damson lovers themselves and will allow the trees to regrow and
that all other matters
of concern to you can be resolved amicably.
Certainly the worse aspect of neighbours, is disputes and the best solution
is consultation.

Pete

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

Regardless of all these legal factors Christina has my every sympathy
especially over the Damson trees.
One can only hope that the neighbours did not realise the species of tree
being chopped
and are a damson lovers themselves and will allow the trees to regrow and
that all other matters
of concern to you can be resolved amicably.

Well, yes, but actually damsons are pretty resilient to being cut
back, and can even be cut down to the ground and regrown (if not
grafted or not cut below that). I let mine get out of hand, and
have taken 50% out of one and am taking 30% out of the other for
a few years. I agree that crude hacking at the wrong time of
year does increase the chances of disease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

Regardless of all these legal factors Christina has my every sympathy
especially over the Damson trees.
One can only hope that the neighbours did not realise the species of tree
being chopped
and are a damson lovers themselves and will allow the trees to regrow and
that all other matters
of concern to you can be resolved amicably.

Well, yes, but actually damsons are pretty resilient to being cut
back, and can even be cut down to the ground and regrown (if not
grafted or not cut below that). I let mine get out of hand, and
have taken 50% out of one and am taking 30% out of the other for
a few years. I agree that crude hacking at the wrong time of
year does increase the chances of disease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Their approach is pretty heavy-handed, however. It would have been
neighbourly and polite to talk to Christina first.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

[...]

Except, that 2 years ago urg saw a previous ugly history of
Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. Tina's trees caused
damage to their property, their insurers required the trees to be felled
but C posted how she stubbornly "held out" against the request, delayed,
refused to answer the door or phone to discuss it etc and "hated" the
neighbours. Imagine what that was like for people desperately worried
about their home.

If these are the same neighbours, no doubt they learnt a lesson on
what response to expect this time if they asked permission to touch her
trees. If they are new neighbours, they will know all about the
previous conflict over trees because nowadays such insurance claims and
conflicts with neighbours have to be flagged up by vendors to new
owners. Either way, with such a past history it's not surprising next
door did not involve her in any discussion but just went ahead and did
what the law allows.

Janet.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

[...]

==============================

Oh Dear Janet.

You will come in for some flak now, just you watch!!!

Who will be the first to start the affray? It's the sort of thing urglers
love!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-09 16:38:41 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

[...]

Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. snip
Janet.

Nothing like inflaming the situation, Janet. You really don't do
'subtle suggestion', unfortunately.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Except, that 2 years ago urg saw a previous ugly history of
Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. snip
Janet.

Nothing like inflaming the situation, Janet. You really don't do
'subtle suggestion', unfortunately.

--

Sacha

True Sacha - especially as Christina clearly stated "new" neighbours in
the current situation.

Pete

Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops and
hacked my damson trees. Without asking FGS. ...

Well obviously they should have asked first -- "May we discuss your
trees with you?" would have been my approach.

But I'm at a loss to see how they could have reduced your conifers to
lollipops? This implies that they've cut the tops off: how could they do
that, without entering your garden to do so?!

Try not to get annoyed with the dog; try to get used to it, so that it
becomes part of your "audio landscape". Difficult, but there's nothing
else you can do, and the alternative is too awful to contemplate.

J.

p.s. 150 yards? That's a hell of a garden! Lucky you!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Christina Websell" wrote

"Sacha" wrote
, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

We had new neighbours bit like that. They had 2 trees on the large front
garden been there 35 years and were actually covered by covenants but
they cut one off at ground level. We managed to save the other one.
First time in 35 years we have conflict with a neighbour, fortunately
not next door but opposite.
--
bert

My New allotment ( and neighbours) Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 3 19-12-2006 10:23 PM
Camellia and neighbours extension SarahH United Kingdom 16 25-11-2003 10:22 PM
My neighbours big plum tree. dommy United Kingdom 4 03-05-2003 11:56 PM
Neighbours Mike United Kingdom 29 15-04-2003 10:57 PM
Neighbours Help Ophelia United Kingdom 55 11-04-2003 10:32 AM