Old 21-02-2014, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating Pieris

When the big Leylandii came down it broke a sizeable piece off my
favourite Pieris
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps36802d78.jpg

I've tried several times to propagate it but have always failed.
Mow with this large chunk I have a lot of material to try again with.
Anybody got any good methods to get some of it to root?
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay, for a few minutes.
Old 21-02-2014, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
When the big Leylandii came down it broke a sizeable piece off my
favourite Pieris
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps36802d78.jpg
I've tried several times to propagate it but have always failed.
Mow with this large chunk I have a lot of material to try again with.
Anybody got any good methods to get some of it to root?
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay, for a few minutes.

I used to have some luck with basal cuttings in July, but its been years
since I did them. I fear you may struggle at this time of year but as you
have the material may as well try!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 21-02-2014, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/02/2014 09:36, David Hill wrote:
When the big Leylandii came down it broke a sizeable piece off my
favourite Pieris
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps36802d78.jpg

I've tried several times to propagate it but have always failed.
Mow with this large chunk I have a lot of material to try again with.
Anybody got any good methods to get some of it to root?
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay, for a few minutes.

The RHS Prop Guide suggests greenwood or semi-ripe cuttings from late
spring to autumn, so this is not really the ideal time. Alas, you have
no choice.

Given that you're going to attempt it, the guide advocates 3" nodal
greenwood cuttings. Remove the tips and keep 4-5 leaves (reduce larger
leaves). Use hormone rooting compound and free-draining, low-nutrient
compost. Offering bottom heat at 12-15*C helps. It should take 6-8 weeks.

If using semi-ripe cuttings, make a 1/2" to 3/4" wound. It doesn't say
where exactly, but I would have thought near the bottom the the cutting
where it comes into contact with the soil.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 09-03-2004 02:41 AM
[IBC] Pieris japonica Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 16-01-2004 11:12 PM
Pieris Janice United Kingdom 10 24-10-2003 06:13 PM
Pieris japonica leaves going yellow - problem? TobyB United Kingdom 1 02-05-2003 08:33 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM