Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default incredible!

Walking through town here I saw a pretty black hellebore, 'Lucy Black',
for sale, blooming in small 1 liter pots outside the florist. (They also
do plants in pots like pansies, etc.) The slate was illegible in the
rain, it looked like 2 or 4 EU, what a deal thought I!

Upon inquiry, the price for these little plants turned out to be 24 EU!
Goodness me, who would buy at that price?

Needless to say I continued, wallet safely tucked away...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 19:48:17 +0000, Emery Davis said:

Walking through town here I saw a pretty black hellebore, 'Lucy Black',
for sale, blooming in small 1 liter pots outside the florist. (They also
do plants in pots like pansies, etc.) The slate was illegible in the
rain, it looked like 2 or 4 EU, what a deal thought I!

Upon inquiry, the price for these little plants turned out to be 24 EU!
Goodness me, who would buy at that price?

Needless to say I continued, wallet safely tucked away...

-E

Don't know that one but perhaps it's a new introduction? If so, it may
be expensive to the nursery but even so, I do agree that is one heck of
a price! I saw a photo of a rather nice lime green one I'm coveting -
Harrington or Harvington Lime Green, something like that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 19:48:17 +0000, Emery Davis said:

Walking through town here I saw a pretty black hellebore, 'Lucy Black',
for sale, blooming in small 1 liter pots outside the florist. (They also
do plants in pots like pansies, etc.) The slate was illegible in the
rain, it looked like 2 or 4 EU, what a deal thought I!

Upon inquiry, the price for these little plants turned out to be 24 EU!
Goodness me, who would buy at that price?

Needless to say I continued, wallet safely tucked away...

-E

Don't know that one but perhaps it's a new introduction? If so, it may
be expensive to the nursery but even so, I do agree that is one heck of
a price! I saw a photo of a rather nice lime green one I'm coveting -
Harrington or Harvington Lime Green, something like that.

Way over the top, I just googled Hellebore Lucy Black and found
http://www.grasslands.co.uk/hellebor...litre-pot.html
Amongst many others
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 19:48:17 +0000, Emery Davis said:

Upon inquiry, the price for these little plants turned out to be 24
EU! Goodness me, who would buy at that price?

Needless to say I continued, wallet safely tucked away...

-E

Don't know that one but perhaps it's a new introduction? If so, it may
be expensive to the nursery but even so, I do agree that is one heck of
a price! I saw a photo of a rather nice lime green one I'm coveting -
Harrington or Harvington Lime Green, something like that.

Way over the top, I just googled Hellebore Lucy Black and found
http://www.grasslands.co.uk/hellebor...black-2-litre-

pot.html

Indeed, I found it available for 9 or 10 EU, still expensive but 2.5 X
cheaper none the less! Really a showy hellebore though, I might well
spring for it at 10, but at 24... well as P.T. Barnum said...

'Harvington Lime' is very pretty, I'm guessing that's the one. There's a
double also. I do like the simple green hellebores though. We had one
that seems to have turned pink, I wonder if that happens often?

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 19:48:17 +0000, Emery Davis said:

[...]

Yes, that's the one. I don't usually like doubles because they get too
fussy but the colour of that redems it, imo. I'm told that Hellebores
are rather promiscuous, so hybridising occurs easily.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 21:32:59 +0000, Emery Davis said:
'Harvington Lime' is very pretty, I'm guessing that's the one.
There's a double also. I do like the simple green hellebores though.
We had one that seems to have turned pink, I wonder if that happens
often?

Yes, that's the one. I don't usually like doubles because they get too
fussy but the colour of that redems it, imo. I'm told that Hellebores
are rather promiscuous, so hybridising occurs easily.

There's a good H. foetidus with bronzey foliage and reddish stems called
Harvington Pewter which I think is rather handsome, but all the
hellebores are looking wonderful at the moment.

--
Sue

Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-01 21:32:59 +0000, Emery Davis said:
'Harvington Lime' is very pretty, I'm guessing that's the one.
There's a double also. I do like the simple green hellebores though.
We had one that seems to have turned pink, I wonder if that happens
often?

Yes, that's the one. I don't usually like doubles because they get too
fussy but the colour of that redems it, imo. I'm told that Hellebores
are rather promiscuous, so hybridising occurs easily.

There's a good H. foetidus with bronzey foliage and reddish stems called
Harvington Pewter which I think is rather handsome, but all the
hellebores are looking wonderful at the moment.

They are. This seems to be a particularly good year.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Walking through town here I saw a pretty black hellebore, 'Lucy Black',
for sale, blooming in small 1 liter pots outside the florist. (They also
do plants in pots like pansies, etc.) The slate was illegible in the
rain, it looked like 2 or 4 EU, what a deal thought I!

Upon inquiry, the price for these little plants turned out to be 24 EU!
Goodness me, who would buy at that price?

That would be the well-heeled lady and her daughter I saw just two
days ago. The Mummy and I were ogling the fabulous display of
hellebores at a nursery where I was boggling at the prices, well over
£20 quid (but knew I would succumb to one of the cheapest, hah).I was
just in time to snag the last Harvington Dusky at £12 (single purple
with a hint of a pale edge).Lots were over £20.

I noticed that this pair were rifling through the display stands like a
dose of salts but putting nothing back. I made some sociable comment
about "so hard to choose, isn't it" until it dawned on me..they weren't
"choosing", or putting any back, because they were going to buy
whatever caught their eye. Mummy was obviously a hellebore enthusiast
trying to get her not-very-interested daughter hooked. They both had a
hand-basket but the baskets were too small; they had to fetch a trolley
to carry all their hellebores. Mummy was oblivious to price and ahead
of me at the till... where she paid for her selection of hellebores,
over £300 worth, without batting an eye.

Janet.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:28:18 +0000, Janet wrote:

hellebores. Mummy was oblivious to price and ahead of me at the till...
where she paid for her selection of hellebores, over £300 worth, without
batting an eye.

Gah! Breeding (or lack of it) will out!

Harvington Dusky looks very pretty, well done. Except for the
price... Sometimes very hard to resist as I well know.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Incredible! nospam Lawns 0 19-05-2006 03:37 PM
Create an incredible lawn with a guide [email protected] Australia 0 01-05-2006 06:45 AM
Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible Mick Fournier Orchids 15 15-05-2003 03:20 AM
Identify this Schomburgkia and win a colossal amazing super duper once-in-a-lifetime incredible Mick Fournier Orchids 0 15-05-2003 01:44 AM
Playstation 2, XBox, GameCube Incredible Prices!! [email protected] Lawns 0 02-04-2003 06:32 AM