Old 15-03-2014, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nice tree ---- wrong place

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org
Old 15-03-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As the tree is a lot older than the dwelling then it's not the tree in
the wrong place.

Old 15-03-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

Part of it yes David, but it was a barn conversion which was very old, but
the other side of that wall is a public path and the tree had already
started to drop branches through it being rotten. It did have a TPO on it,
but examination showed a disease in the lower trunk and roots and in the
interest of public safety, it was recommended for removal. Some of the
pictures show the rot in the middle of the trunk.

Mike

Old 15-03-2014, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

You took the words right out of my mouth.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

snipped the usual irrelevant rubbish

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The word that came to my mind was vandal.
Is it legal to fell a mature tree without planning permission. We need planning
permission here to fell trees if the diameter is greater than a fraction of that
of the tree in the photos.

It's fairly easy to check registered TPO and local amenity trees online,
I believe through the councils' website. RG did so recently. We also
have to ask permission of a local conservation body, too.

Anyhow, a tree that big would need a bona fide tree surgeon who, if he's
a genuine professional, will check with Council guidelines.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-03-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

snipped the usual irrelevant rubbish

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The word that came to my mind was vandal.
Is it legal to fell a mature tree without planning permission. We need planning
permission here to fell trees if the diameter is greater than a fraction of that
of the tree in the photos.

It's fairly easy to check registered TPO and local amenity trees online,
I believe through the councils' website. RG did so recently. We also
have to ask permission of a local conservation body, too.

Anyhow, a tree that big would need a bona fide tree surgeon who, if he's
a genuine professional, will check with Council guidelines.

Hope you aren't suggesting that the job was done on the quiet, no names no pack
drill, by a tree cowboy called Tarzan? :-)

With his horse tied up outside the forest :~).

The council in Leiden has being ignoring the rules. They recently felled 200
trees without going through the formalities. That has triggered eight legal
actions against the council.

Oops! That's naughty on a big scale. I have known minor 'accidents'
occur, but 200 trees is unforgiveable. Presumably the land was wanted
for development? Very sad, though.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-03-2014, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2014 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-YZPFO...-of-Other.html

snipped the usual irrelevant rubbish

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The word that came to my mind was vandal.
Is it legal to fell a mature tree without planning permission. We need planning
permission here to fell trees if the diameter is greater than a fraction of that
of the tree in the photos.

It's fairly easy to check registered TPO and local amenity trees online,
I believe through the councils' website. RG did so recently. We also
have to ask permission of a local conservation body, too.

Anyhow, a tree that big would need a bona fide tree surgeon who, if he's
a genuine professional, will check with Council guidelines.

Hope you aren't suggesting that the job was done on the quiet, no names no pack
drill, by a tree cowboy called Tarzan? :-)

With his horse tied up outside the forest :~).

Tonto was borrowing Trigger at the time.

LOL!

The council in Leiden has being ignoring the rules. They recently felled 200
trees without going through the formalities. That has triggered eight legal
actions against the council.

Oops! That's naughty on a big scale. I have known minor 'accidents'
occur, but 200 trees is unforgiveable. Presumably the land was wanted
for development? Very sad, though.

It wasn't done in one place in one incident, hence the eight legal actions. One
newspaper has a theory that councils are making money selling felled trees to
power stations that burn wood chips.

Appalling. I'd rather pay higher taxes - not that I expect anyone to
agree with me.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-03-2014, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2014 12:10, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:07:32 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 16/03/2014 09:49, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:55:35 +0000, Spider wrote:

snip

The council in Leiden has being ignoring the rules. They recently felled 200
trees without going through the formalities. That has triggered eight legal
actions against the council.

Oops! That's naughty on a big scale. I have known minor 'accidents'
occur, but 200 trees is unforgiveable. Presumably the land was wanted
for development? Very sad, though.

It wasn't done in one place in one incident, hence the eight legal actions. One
newspaper has a theory that councils are making money selling felled trees to
power stations that burn wood chips.

Appalling. I'd rather pay higher taxes - not that I expect anyone to
agree with me.

We already do pay higher taxes :-(

Told ya! ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
One newspaper has a theory that councils are making money selling felled trees to power stations that burn wood chips.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland
I doubt it would be profitable to fell individual isolated trees to sell for bulk fuel. If you wanted to fell the tree anyway so its felling and removal cost fell on another budget, then maybe.
Old 20-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
"It did have a TPO on it,
but examination showed a disease in the lower trunk and roots and in the
interest of public safety, it was recommended for removal. Some of the
pictures show the rot in the middle of the trunk.
It is a common misunderstanding that rot in the middle of a trunk makes a tree dangerous, in fact it often makes it more stable. Very old trees in forests are often hollow in the centre, and it is precisely that hollowness that has allowed them so stand so long. It is rot in the outer parts of a trunk, if sufficiently extensive, that makes a tree unstable.