Old 25-03-2014, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leeks Again

My leeks are now coming through very slowly. I have a couple of questions:

Are they susceptible to damping off? What do people use now that Cheshunt
Compound is no longer sold?

When they sprout there appears to be two shoots from each seed. I can now see
that the shoot is in fact a loop as one of them has sprung apart. The part of
the shoot which has sprung apart seems slightly yellow. Does this become the
main growing point of the seedling - or does it fall away?

Should I feed the seedlings in any way?

Old 25-03-2014, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote

My leeks are now coming through very slowly. I have a couple of questions:

Are they susceptible to damping off? What do people use now that Cheshunt
Compound is no longer sold?

When they sprout there appears to be two shoots from each seed. I can now
see
that the shoot is in fact a loop as one of them has sprung apart. The part
of
the shoot which has sprung apart seems slightly yellow. Does this become
the
main growing point of the seedling - or does it fall away?

Should I feed the seedlings in any way?

We plant ours out on our plot in an old water tank filled with compost which
also is what we use for our carrots, needless to say they haven't been
planted yet.
I have had problems with onion seedlings damping off when grown under cover
so will be interested to hear what suggestions others make on that.
Yes it does become the main growing point of the leek or onion (it's a
family trait) and I don't feed until they are straight and grown on a bit.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.