Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eyes and plants

Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it is
scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught under
my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding. This is the
second time that similar has happened and the first time I was within 48
hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That time my right eye
was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere near
plants.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2014 22:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it
is scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere
near plants.

Near euphorbias it would be a very sensible idea. The sap is seriously
damaging to the eye and not so great on skin either in sunlight.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-07 21:52:53 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it
is scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere
near plants.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Ouch Bob and 'yes' to the eye wear! Hope it's better very soon.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it is
scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere
near plants.

Ouch Bob and 'yes' to the eye wear! Hope it's better very soon.

Thanks.
People always talk about canes etc but both times it's happened to me it's
been plants themselves.
I think the problem is wearing glasses, you would think they would provide
protection but both times it's been my glasses that the leaf/twig has caught
under and then been directed into my eye.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2014 22:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it
is scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere
near plants.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

That sounds nasty, Bob! I hope it heals soon. I assume they gave you
drops to help with healing? It does sound as if you need eye
protection, especially for the close work. My glasses are almost
protection enough, having large frames, but I'm very careful all the
same. I dread such an accident happening though, fortunately, we are
within panicking distance of Moorfields Eye Hospital.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2014 22:12, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 17:29:55 +0100, Spider wrote:

[...]

I've worn hard contact lenses since the early 1960s. I've scratched a cornea
several times, in amongst other places Corsica, Carcassonne and in a fairly
remote place in Greece. Treatment has always been antibiotics. The scratch heals
within a few days. It is extremely painful at the time it happens.

I can imagine. Even the slightest irritation is painful enough. I
don't think I'd make a very good patient.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2014 22:51, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:31:53 +0100, Spider wrote:

[...]

The solution?
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Ima...Space_eye-wash

I'm sure it's very efficient, but it gives me 'the squeams'. Might be
an idea for Bob, though ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2014 13:08, Spider wrote:
[...]

Bob,
Have a word with you Optician about side shields for your glasses,
something like these
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/17356...for?ref=market
He/she should have a choice to offer you and they may well start at
around £3.00 or so.
Well worth it, and they can help prevent eyes watering when you get a
strong wind blowing in from the side.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote
Bob,
Have a word with you Optician about side shields for your glasses,
something like these
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/17356...for?ref=market
He/she should have a choice to offer you and they may well start at around
£3.00 or so.
Well worth it, and they can help prevent eyes watering when you get a
strong wind blowing in from the side.

Thanks for that David.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 13:08:45 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 08/04/2014 22:51, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:31:53 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 08/04/2014 22:12, Martin wrote:

I can imagine. Even the slightest irritation is painful enough. I
don't think I'd make a very good patient.

The solution?
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Ima...Space_eye-wash

I'm sure it's very efficient, but it gives me 'the squeams'. Might be
an idea for Bob, though ;~)

Reckon I've got enough bits in the shed to knock something like that
up, two relatively recent deaths of elderly relatives has left a pile
of unused catheter bags and tubing. loathe to throw them away,
occasionally one is put into use to drip feed a plant or two if we go
away for a few days.
Now where have I put those safety goggles and special solvent plastic
glues.

G.Harman
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 14:28, wrote:
[...]

Oh yuk! Double yuk! You're welcome to it. Hope the plants enjoy it. I
don't fancy it at all.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 22:47, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 22:20:33 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 10/04/2014 14:28, wrote:
[...]

Ideal for DIY crocodile tears.

And the real sort, too! (Makes me feel sorry for crocodiles).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 14:28, wrote:
[...]

No eye problems wearing this
http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/i...?1397248152188

Tis true, but I'm not sure we all want to go out into the garden looking
like Michael Jackson. Safe I like, but that's a safeness too far. Not
sure I liked the greenhosue in that link, either ;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London