Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dodecatheon (ping Spider)

The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

--

Jeff
Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

Hi Jeff,
No it hasn't, but it has two good basal clusters of magenta buds, so I
can hardly wait, especially now that yours is flowering. Mine is
Dodecatheon 'Red Wings'. You should take a photo of yours as it opens
and matures, just in case it helps with id. Someone here might know it.
I confess I'm not an expert (though I love them), but I'd be glad to
take a peek at it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-04-2014, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 14:11, Spider wrote:
On 12/04/2014 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

Hi Jeff,
No it hasn't, but it has two good basal clusters of magenta buds, so I
can hardly wait, especially now that yours is flowering. Mine is
Dodecatheon 'Red Wings'. You should take a photo of yours as it opens
and matures, just in case it helps with id. Someone here might know it.
I confess I'm not an expert (though I love them), but I'd be glad to
take a peek at it.

Oh no!
We're starting "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours"
Old 12-04-2014, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 14:11, Spider wrote:
On 12/04/2014 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

Hi Jeff,
No it hasn't, but it has two good basal clusters of magenta buds, so I
can hardly wait, especially now that yours is flowering. Mine is
Dodecatheon 'Red Wings'. You should take a photo of yours as it opens
and matures, just in case it helps with id. Someone here might know it.
I confess I'm not an expert (though I love them), but I'd be glad to
take a peek at it.

They all look the same to me :-)

I just checked the label more closely, and all it says is "Dodecatheon
species ex BC". It was sown in 2008, and flowered for the first time
last year.

As to identification, there is far too much information he
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.as...axon_id=110733

I find it interesting, though, that it omits to mention in the
description of Dodecatheon that some (at least those I have come across)
are scented. Have a sniff when yours flowers.

--

Jeff
Old 12-04-2014, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 14:11, Spider wrote:
On 12/04/2014 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

Hi Jeff,
No it hasn't, but it has two good basal clusters of magenta buds, so I
can hardly wait, especially now that yours is flowering. Mine is
Dodecatheon 'Red Wings'. You should take a photo of yours as it opens
and matures, just in case it helps with id. Someone here might know it.
I confess I'm not an expert (though I love them), but I'd be glad to
take a peek at it.

Forgive me talking to myself, but today I notice that there are three
bud clusters *and* and stems are about 1" tall now, so hoping it won't
be long before I see the flowers.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 14:24, David Hill wrote:
On 12/04/2014 14:11, Spider wrote:
On 12/04/2014 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
The first flower opened yesterday. I still don't know which one it is
as it came from an AGS seed list several years ago. It only had a
collection number on it, and unfortunately part of that is missing.

Has your flowered yet?

Hi Jeff,
No it hasn't, but it has two good basal clusters of magenta buds, so I
can hardly wait, especially now that yours is flowering. Mine is
Dodecatheon 'Red Wings'. You should take a photo of yours as it opens
and matures, just in case it helps with id. Someone here might know it.
I confess I'm not an expert (though I love them), but I'd be glad to
take a peek at it.

Oh no!
We're starting "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours"

You shy, then?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 17:46, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Quite. I see what you mean. I will read through it tomorrow, though,
when my visitors have gone.

I find it interesting, though, that it omits to mention in the
description of Dodecatheon that some (at least those I have come across)
are scented. Have a sniff when yours flowers.

I will! That is interesting. Mine is still in its pot and knowing if
it's scented or not will alter whether or not I plant it in a raised
bed. Thanks for the tip off.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-04-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 22:42, Spider wrote:
[...]

Mine is now planted in a raised bed, although the flowers are not open
yet; maybe later today. It certainly bears close inspection when in
flower, so worth having it where I can see it.

I have printed off the detailed text in that link as it is very
interesting, and I find it easier to read a hard copy anyway. Having
read through it, I am reminded that the most readily available
Dodecatheons, ime, are D.meadia, D.jeffreyi and D.pulchellem so, if
you're looking to name yours, you might start with cultivars raised from
those species.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-04-2014, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 22:31, Spider wrote:
[...]

Here's a photo of the flower (complete with greenfly!):
http://tinypic.com/r/2rpbln9/8

The flower is about 15mm long, on a 70 - 80mm stem. It's probably one
of the many forms of D. pulchellum.

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2014, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 09:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Jeff, but I'm not seeing your photo, just advertising. Also the
link seems to be a bit unstable - it flashes red as I click on it then,
when tinypic comes up, my cursor arrow flickers on the right-hand
top/bottom scroll arrows. Wonder if you could send it again. Thanks.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-04-2014, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 12:35, Spider wrote:
[...]

No problem with the pic here.
Old 18-04-2014, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 13:33, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I tried again, David, and got tiny pic but the little blue circle just
twirled without locking on for about 10 mins. I gave up after that.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-04-2014, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 14:28, Spider wrote:

Here's a photo of the flower (complete with greenfly!):
http://tinypic.com/r/2rpbln9/8

The flower is about 15mm long, on a 70 - 80mm stem. It's probably one
of the many forms of D. pulchellum.

Sorry, Jeff, but I'm not seeing your photo, just advertising. Also the
link seems to be a bit unstable - it flashes red as I click on it then,
when tinypic comes up, my cursor arrow flickers on the right-hand
top/bottom scroll arrows. Wonder if you could send it again. Thanks.

No problem with the pic here.

I tried again, David, and got tiny pic but the little blue circle just
twirled without locking on for about 10 mins. I gave up after that.

What browser are you using, Spider? Do you have a script or pop-up
blocker in use? That may interfere with the site. Try these URLs first:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rpb...8#.U1E_T1f9xJ0

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2rpbln9.jpg

Can you view anything else on tinypic if the above don't work?

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 16:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I've taken the liberty to copy it to Photobucket.
Try it on this link Spider
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbb5c3ca1.jpg

Ping Spider. David Hill United Kingdom 6 24-04-2014 12:17 PM
Dodecatheon Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 2 22-03-2014 05:53 PM
Garden spider (warning: contains spider) Mad Cow Garden Photos 1 28-09-2012 11:45 AM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ah! Spider! BIG Spider! The Ranger Edible Gardening 9 01-09-2005 03:20 AM