Old 22-04-2014, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Spider.

You were right when you said that this is Ribies speciosum
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps94687668.jpg
I was wondering how many here had come across it.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 22-04-2014, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2014 20:01, David Hill wrote:
You were right when you said that this is Ribies speciosum
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps94687668.jpg

I was wondering how many here had come across it.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay

I've been aware of this shrub for many years, though I've never owned
it. I have a close local friend who has one, so I 'met' it for the
first time about 12yrs ago. It is very attractive, isn't it?

It is easy to confuse it with a Fuchsia, as my friend did, but the
currant leaves give it away, and the thorns offer a clue.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else on urg recognises it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 23-04-2014, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 22/04/2014 20:01, David Hill wrote:
You were right when you said that this is Ribies speciosum
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps94687668.jpg

I was wondering how many here had come across it.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay

I've been aware of this shrub for many years, though I've never owned it.
I have a close local friend who has one, so I 'met' it for the first time
about 12yrs ago. It is very attractive, isn't it?

It is easy to confuse it with a Fuchsia, as my friend did, but the currant
leaves give it away, and the thorns offer a clue.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else on urg recognises it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

I have a biggish one of these on a wall, nice thing, tough as they come,
poor fruit crops but hey you can't have everything!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-04-2014, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-22 19:01:04 +0000, David Hill said:

You were right when you said that this is Ribies speciosum
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps94687668.jpg

I was wondering how many here had come across it.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay

I think we had that in the garden several years ago and lost it in a
cold wet winter. But I'll check that with Ray. I can't remember
exactly where we got it from (if I've got the right plant) but maybe
Trevena Cross. It's a very handsome plant, imo.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-04-2014, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-23 16:12:50 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Ray confirms we did have that one but can't remember exactly when. We
think - but it's only a notion - that we might have lost it in 2001
when it was very wet.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-04-2014, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/04/2014 17:12, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

They do make large attractive shrubs in time. I didn't know they
produce a crop at all, much less one worth worrying about. Are they
edible, or effectively just bird food?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-04-2014, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-22 19:01:04 +0000, David Hill said:

You were right when you said that this is Ribies speciosum
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps94687668.jpg

I was wondering how many here had come across it.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay

I think we had that in the garden several years ago and lost it in a
cold wet winter. But I'll check that with Ray. I can't remember exactly
where we got it from (if I've got the right plant) but maybe Trevena
Cross. It's a very handsome plant, imo.

They are most handsome. Mind you, if you mistake it for a Fuchsia and
handle it unwarned, you may get an unpleasant surprise.
I would like to grow one, but most of my suitable sites are already
occupied. I believe it enjoys a little bit of shelter.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London