Old 22-04-2014, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs and seedlings

I don't have anywhere convenient and slug-resistant to start
seedlings, and some don't do well if started indoors. Most of
them are reasonably resistant, and I lose only some, but I have
just had one complete pot wiped out. Has anyone experience
with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground from slugs?
And how did you do it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2014, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2014 13:09, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I don't have anywhere convenient and slug-resistant to start
seedlings, and some don't do well if started indoors. Most of
them are reasonably resistant, and I lose only some, but I have
just had one complete pot wiped out. Has anyone experience
with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground from slugs?
And how did you do it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I germinate sweet peas indoors on a sheet of kitchen roll, then put them
outside in Pound Shop polystyrene cups. Not saying the polystyrene
surface is a deterrent but I don't recall seeing a slug/snail on or in
the cups. The carnage comes later when I plant them out
Old 22-04-2014, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good afternoon,

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:09:46 +0100 (BST),
Nick Maclaren wrote:
Has anyone experience with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground
from slugs? And how did you do it?

I am not sure to be completely on-topic, as we put some seeds under
glass in the garden (and also *in pots* and *under glass*). As the rain
cannot get in, we use wood ash to protect the young offsprings and it
appears to be quite effective. On the outside, we have to renew the ash
frequently (18 month rain per year, the rest is drizzle).

If you promise to not shoot me, I will tell you that I also use Feramol
and am still of the opinion, that it is not as dangerous as some critics
try to establish. In the German and French gardening forums, you get
away with it. I am testing...

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Cheerio,

Michael

--
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 22-04-2014, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-22 12:09:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

I don't have anywhere convenient and slug-resistant to start
seedlings, and some don't do well if started indoors. Most of
them are reasonably resistant, and I lose only some, but I have
just had one complete pot wiped out. Has anyone experience
with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground from slugs?
And how did you do it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In the middle of a dish of water with the seedling pot raised above it
on a brick?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-04-2014, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-22 12:09:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

I don't have anywhere convenient and slug-resistant to start
seedlings, and some don't do well if started indoors. Most of
them are reasonably resistant, and I lose only some, but I have
just had one complete pot wiped out. Has anyone experience
with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground from slugs?
And how did you do it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In the middle of a dish of water with the seedling pot raised above it
on a brick?

In the middle of a pie plate of _beer_.

Old 22-04-2014, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ki.eu...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

Interesting that you find wood ash successful because we are just about to
start an experiment. We have a massive amount of wood ash from where we
burnt the smaller branches etc of a massive Copper Beech which was diseased
and in the way. We actually have about a dozen sacks of this ash which we
have started to sieve through an old kitchen sieve. Long job I know but what
doesn't go through is going on the garden and to neighbours. We propose to
use a squeezy bottle, such as Heinz Tomato Sauce bottle to put a ring of
this wood ash around each seeding as they come up on the theory that the
slugs and snails cannot get across this wall of dry ash, so we have been
informed on this and other garden forums. The Runner Beans are our first
target just as soon as they pop their heads above the ground.

We have also remade all of the raised beds and we propose to put a copious
wall of ash just inside the raised bit. Trouble is, we know, that it will
become un effective once it rains, but we have stacks of wood ash.

We will report on our actions and experiment.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 22-04-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2014 13:09, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I don't have anywhere convenient and slug-resistant to start
seedlings, and some don't do well if started indoors. Most of
them are reasonably resistant, and I lose only some, but I have
just had one complete pot wiped out. Has anyone experience
with protecting seedlings in posts on the ground from slugs?
And how did you do it?

I have tried putting seed trays on top of several bricks. Although it
has some effect, slugs seem to have no difficulty moving upside-down,
and given delicacies like delphinium seedlings, are only too happy to
get there any way they can. The only way to stop them was to keep the
plastic seed tray cover on all the time. I also put in half-a-dozen
slug pellets as insurance.

--

Jeff
Old 23-04-2014, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/23/2014 5:20 AM, Martin wrote:

or in the middle of a dish of Heineken for a very painful death. :-)

I would have thought they'd be happily drunk, before being tossed onto
the drive for the birds to feast on.