Old 25-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Which Lawnmower Engine???

Help !........I have an Atco Commoder B17 mower....which has had 4 or 5 engines on !.

I've just realized what I think has caused my many engine failures...

I live close to a river and cut the river bank outside the bottom of our garden...to make it look nicer and be more pleasant for walkers.

When I cut the "slope" up to the bank top, I think this is harming the engines lubrication capabilities and causes damage to the engine thro lack of oil lubrication.

My neighbor cuts his part of the bank....slope and all....and never has any bother !

Am I right in my theory on why the engines are seizing?....and if so what kind of engine do I need?

Can I get a different engine for my Atco Commodor which will stop this problem or do I need to buy a different make lawnmower?

If so....which????

Many thanks !
Old 25-04-2014, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which Lawnmower Engine???

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:16:15 +0200, kanewesley wrote:

When I cut the "slope" up to the bank top, I think this is harming the
engines lubrication capabilities and causes damage to the engine thro
lack of oil lubrication.

Could be, the lubrication system for these sort of engines is just
crude "splash". There is a driven paddle wheel (slinger) that dips
into the oil and slings it about. If the orientation of the engine
means that the paddle wheel is no longer in the oil...

What engine is fitted? Can you find a parts manual online and thus
see from the exploded diagram where the paddle is and thus where you
need to keep the oil?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-04-2014, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2014 22:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:16:15 +0200, kanewesley wrote:

When I cut the "slope" up to the bank top, I think this is harming the
engines lubrication capabilities and causes damage to the engine thro
lack of oil lubrication.

Could be, the lubrication system for these sort of engines is just
crude "splash". There is a driven paddle wheel (slinger) that dips
into the oil and slings it about. If the orientation of the engine
means that the paddle wheel is no longer in the oil...

What engine is fitted? Can you find a parts manual online and thus
see from the exploded diagram where the paddle is and thus where you
need to keep the oil?

Basically you need a 2 stroke engine
Old 26-04-2014, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Dave Liquorice wrote:
, kanewesley wrote:

When I cut the "slope" up to the bank top, I think this is harming the
engines lubrication capabilities and causes damage to the engine thro
lack of oil lubrication.

Could be, the lubrication system for these sort of engines is just
crude "splash". There is a driven paddle wheel (slinger) that dips
into the oil and slings it about. If the orientation of the engine
means that the paddle wheel is no longer in the oil...

What engine is fitted? Can you find a parts manual online and thus
see from the exploded diagram where the paddle is and thus where you
need to keep the oil?

Basically you need a 2 stroke engine

I didn't think they sold such things these days due to emission problems but
I was wrong.
They do look professional so probably professional prices too.
http://www.southernmachinery.ie/as-motor.htm

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-04-2014, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, April 25, 2014 5:16:15 PM UTC+1, kanewesley wrote:
Help !........I have an Atco Commoder B17 mower....which has had 4 or 5

engines on !.

I've just realized what I think has caused my many engine failures...

I live close to a river and cut the river bank outside the bottom of our

garden...to make it look nicer and be more pleasant for walkers.

At work I used to buy machines with 2 stroke engines for this type of work but in recent years some of the better Japanese makers have been making engines with a forced lubrication system and these are fine IME - just check with your dealer which ones have this system.
(Oh and modern 2 strokes and oils are much cleaner and can run on a 50:1 petrolil mix)

Rod

Old 28-04-2014, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Help !........I have an Atco Commoder B17 mower....which has had 4 or 5
engines on !.

I've just realized what I think has caused my many engine failures...

I live close to a river and cut the river bank outside the bottom of our
garden...to make it look nicer and be more pleasant for walkers.

When I cut the "slope" up to the bank top, I think this is harming the
engines lubrication capabilities and causes damage to the engine thro
lack of oil lubrication.

My neighbor cuts his part of the bank....slope and all....and never has
any bother !

Am I right in my theory on why the engines are seizing?....and if so
what kind of engine do I need?

Can I get a different engine for my Atco Commodor which will stop this
problem or do I need to buy a different make lawnmower?

If so....which????

The same as your neighbour?

Mike