Old 29-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Torquay
Default Jasmine bare underneath

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and need a little help...
I have a jasmine that I inherited when I moved in, it previously was a huge clump that trailed down a wall which was in shade so I have dragged the heavy clump in the opposite direction to where it will get more sun.
Does that make sense?
Anyway, it has now exposed all the lower stems which are completely bare, I wouldn't mind but it's about 2 foot long and looks awful, the top 2 foot is fine and bursting with flowers.
My question is, now I have exposed the lower part to more light will this part naturally now grow new leaves?
Should I give it a good feed to encourage more growth?
I have tried searching Google and have had no luck with this type of question so I am hoping someone may be able to guide me on this.
Thank you all for any help you can give
Old 29-04-2014, 10:45 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellyjay View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and need a little help...
I have a jasmine that I inherited when I moved in, it previously was a huge clump that trailed down a wall which was in shade so I have dragged the heavy clump in the opposite direction to where it will get more sun.
Does that make sense?
Anyway, it has now exposed all the lower stems which are completely bare, I wouldn't mind but it's about 2 foot long and looks awful, the top 2 foot is fine and bursting with flowers.
My question is, now I have exposed the lower part to more light will this part naturally now grow new leaves?
Should I give it a good feed to encourage more growth?
I have tried searching Google and have had no luck with this type of question so I am hoping someone may be able to guide me on this.
Thank you all for any help you can give
What species of jasmine? Does it flower in winter or summer? White/pink or yellow flowers?

If it's the yellow winter flowering one (which is the only one I grow) I would expect it in due course to produce new green branches on top, and the green branches that are now buried under all the old stuff will die off.

Mine is on the north wall of the house, where it flowers from October through to April, and I'm delighted to have something that will tolerate shade so well.
__________________
Old 29-04-2014, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Hellyjay wrote:

I'm new to this site and need a little help...
I have a jasmine that I inherited when I moved in, it previously was a
huge clump that trailed down a wall which was in shade so I have dragged
the heavy clump in the opposite direction to where it will get more
sun.
Does that make sense?
Anyway, it has now exposed all the lower stems which are completely
bare, I wouldn't mind but it's about 2 foot long and looks awful, the
top 2 foot is fine and bursting with flowers.
My question is, now I have exposed the lower part to more light will
this part naturally now grow new leaves?
Should I give it a good feed to encourage more growth?

Yes, give it a feed, but I would recommend cutting out 1/3 of its
oldest stems each year until it has regenerated (and perhaps after
that). If it is the yellow, scentless one that flowers in winter,
do it after flowering. If it is a summer-flowering one, do it in
winter or early spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2014 15:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Hellyjay wrote:

[...]

If it's Summer flowering or the red Jasminum beesianum, then I'd cut it
all down after flowering, it should start to re-sprout in a few weeks
and give you ripe enough material to go through the winter, depending
where in the UK you are.
But if in doubt then cut out half this year, and the rest next year.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Torquay

Sorry for the delay in the replies but internet has been playing up...
Thanks for all the replies it has really helped.
It has white and pink flowers so think it is the summer variety so if I give it a good hair cut and a feed hopefully the brown lower stems will start to get new buds?
I just hope it doesn't sulk as the first and last time I give it a trim the leaves turned brown! Is this supposed to happen?
Thanks once again for all your swift replies.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Hellyjay wrote:

It has white and pink flowers so think it is the summer variety so if I
give it a good hair cut and a feed hopefully the brown lower stems will
start to get new buds?

Probably J. officinale. And, no, they probably won't. The solution
is to cut out half of the older stems, as David Hill says, and look
for new shoots from near the base.

I just hope it doesn't sulk as the first and last time I give it a trim
the leaves turned brown! Is this supposed to happen?

That's probably because you cut off the new growth, and the older
leaves were about to go brown, anyway. But there are other possible
reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What will we have underneath? mike crowe Edible Gardening 6 02-09-2015 11:46 AM
quincy shouts the conservative underneath hers and solemnly determines Norris Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:26 AM
flood underneath my liner kc Ponds 4 22-04-2005 03:48 PM
elevated deck - gravel underneath? tim Gardening 1 07-10-2003 01:22 PM
Water underneath liner Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 31-03-2003 03:20 PM