Old 27-05-2014, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug and Snail infestation

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?
Old 27-05-2014, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:12:08 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 27-05-2014, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

Steve

--

Rats eat loads over winter!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 27-05-2014, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

They used to be a minor nuisance here, because of (relatively) cold
spells in winter and (relatively) hot, dry ones in summer, but were
ghastly last year and far worse this year. My wife started picking
and salting them last year, because she got tired of treading on them,
and this year I have 23 home-made slug and have used Slugclear several
times.

I had to unplant my Hydrangea paniculata to get it to survive, and I
have lost ALL my tarragon, in addition to extensive other damage.
I am about to resow carrots for the FOURTH time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2014, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2014 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

We've always had lots of them, but the last two years have reached
almost plague proportions. I'm always treading on them, too, especially
at night. I've also lost so many seedlings and other plants this year,
so you have my sympathy. I want to reapply the liquid slug clear, but
it's been raining so hard, the amount in dilution will soon be
negligible. First dryish spell we get I shall be taking action.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-05-2014, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

Slow worms?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-05-2014, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:12:08 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

They are a pestilence, and they crunch under foot when walking along the
paths (snails that is). I've only seen a few slugs, the big orange kind,
but no doubt they're there.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-05-2014, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2014 12:50, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

Do you have toads in the garden? They're quite partial to slugs and snails.

--
Sue

Old 30-05-2014, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 May 2014 02:04:47 +0100, Indigo
wrote:

On 27/05/2014 12:50, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Something eats the slugs and snails in my garden because there are
hardly any to be seen. I've never used anything to kill them and I've
only seen one thrush other than blackbirds. If I find out what is
controlling the slugs and snails I will packet it!

Do you have toads in the garden? They're quite partial to slugs and snails.

I've never seen or heard any toads. The latest theory by a friend is
the Jays in my garden are eating the slugs and snails.

Steve

Old 30-05-2014, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2014 17:12, Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:12:08 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I have never know them so prolific, many of my seedlings are being
"mowed" as soon as they can be reached. I cannot walk along any garden
path without treading on the blighters. Ugh! I assume I am not alone in
this, normally I rarely see a snail. Where are the thrushes when I need
them?

They are a pestilence, and they crunch under foot when walking along the
paths (snails that is). I've only seen a few slugs, the big orange kind,
but no doubt they're there.

The problem I'm getting with slugs is them coming into the kitchen
through the sink, they come up through the waste pipe, and it's only
Leopard slugs that make the journey.
2 nights ago there were 6 of them ranging in size from just half an inch
to the biggest at over 2 inches.
Has anyone else had this problem?
David @ a sunny but windy side of Swansea Bay

Old 30-05-2014, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 May 2014 10:12:12 +0100, David Hill wrote:

The problem I'm getting with slugs is them coming into the kitchen
through the sink, they come up through the waste pipe, and it's only
Leopard slugs that make the journey.
2 nights ago there were 6 of them ranging in size from just half an inch
to the biggest at over 2 inches.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, I picked one off the side of the sink yesterday. It's a stone sink
and the house is cold, around 14C, so it probably felt right at home.
Just regular gray snail though and pretty small at that.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-05-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

The problem I'm getting with slugs is them coming into the kitchen
through the sink, they come up through the waste pipe,

Don't you have a waterfilled U-trap in the sink waste pipe? I wouldn't
have thought slugs would submerge themselves

Janet
Old 31-05-2014, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2014 09:29:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

I never found out how an orange monster slug got in and out of our
kitchen, but I suspected that it was using a waste pipe too. It didn't
return after I flushed it down the toilet.

Still I see the makings of a good B-film in this... call in the NATO
strike force!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy