Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Request for plant ids

On 11/06/14 09:04, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote
The first is wigelia which doesn't flower on first season growth so
nothing till next year.
The fluffy bush looks to me like Spiraea X billiardii
The third, honeysuckle, just wants a good feed, something with fairly
high Nitrogen (that's the first number when you see what's in the feed.)
Tree or big bush is Lilac
The tree makes me think of a Pear tree, but I cant enlarge the picture
to have a closer look at parts of the tree.
Lastly a form of achillia, the flower will telll you if it's wild or a
cultivated form

Something about the tree suggests Cherry to me, possibly the sour one.
Morello. It actually almost looks like tree covered in ivy the growth is
so lush.

It is covered in ivy

Despite me having cut that ivy back a while back :-o
Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-11 08:04:53 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote
The first is wigelia which doesn't flower on first season growth so
nothing till next year.
The fluffy bush looks to me like Spiraea X billiardii
The third, honeysuckle, just wants a good feed, something with fairly
high Nitrogen (that's the first number when you see what's in the feed.)
Tree or big bush is Lilac
The tree makes me think of a Pear tree, but I cant enlarge the
picture to have a closer look at parts of the tree.
Lastly a form of achillia, the flower will telll you if it's wild or
a cultivated form

Something about the tree suggests Cherry to me, possibly the sour one.
Morello. It actually almost looks like tree covered in ivy the growth
is so lush.

You can actually see some cherry type fruits hanging from it in a couple
of places. But the leaves aren't what you'd expect from the normal
edible cherry. And the achillea/yarrow/millefeuille is exactly what I
was trying to think of!

I've got another tree that is a wild cherry - and produces fruit, though
they are horrible (poss OK for jam).

I'll have to compare them in more detail. Until I had the fence
replaces, this tree was buried in ivy and next doors roses that climbed
all over it.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2014 12:48, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 10/06/2014 20:24, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone would recognise any of the 6 plants in this
photoset please? All growing on heavy non alkaline clay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...7644693912260/

A couple of bushes I'm trying to decide whether to keep or not
("Boring shrub" and "Fluffy bush"). Not sure about "Tree" either. It's
green - that's all I can say about it. It's also over a sewer line so
I'm interested if its roots are likely to be evil and far reaching...

The others I am merely curious:

"Ground stuff" is quite nice and soft - wondering whether to encourage
it.

"Dead shrub" is very weird - looks like a dried twig half the year,
then does a Lazarus in about May.

"Nice tree" is really rather pretty. Slow growing, bendy twisty
branches.

I've uncovered all of these since hacking back the jungle that used to
be here...

Many many thanks if anyone has any ideas?

And HOW do you ID plants, apart from knowing what lots of them look
like? It's not something Google image matching helps with and I'm too
ill informed (though I'd like to improve).

Cheers

Tim

I agree the boring shrub may be weigelia but it ought to be in flower?
Fluffy shrub is maybe a Spiraea
Dead shrub is not dead its a honeysuckle, most likely one of the late
Dutch sorts (will be nice in August)
tree/shrub is a lilac
I don't know the nice tree

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

the ground stuff is a weed called milfoil I think its a sort of Achillea

For id purposes flowers always help as do leaves, each genus has
characteristics like leaves being in pairs or single, this helps narrow
down the area of brain to be rummaged in, but its often a case of "I
used to have that!"

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

A picture that can be enlarged might help.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/14 21:50, David Hill wrote:

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf
veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

A picture that can be enlarged might help.

How's this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...85632/sizes/o/

I agree - Flickr has made it harder with their "Lightbox" interface...
Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2014 21:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/06/14 21:50, David Hill wrote:

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf
veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

A picture that can be enlarged might help.

How's this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...85632/sizes/o/

I agree - Flickr has made it harder with their "Lightbox" interface...

Better thanks, definitely young fruit, did you see flowers on it?
The best I can come up with is weeping crab apple
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thehol...n/photostream/
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-11 17:19:41 +0000, Tim Watts said:

[...]

All the circumstances you relate will have caused the plants to look
scruffy or sickly and not to show flowers this year. First rule of
thumb with a new-to-you garden is wait one whole year to see what
things do, what bulbs or perennials emerge from the soil etc. Your
tidying up sounds absolutely fine but don't be tempted to rip
anythiing/everything out yet. You mqy have some pleasant surprises in
store for spring and next summer.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-11 22:29:51 +0000, David Hill said:

On 11/06/2014 21:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/06/14 21:50, David Hill wrote:

Some sort of cherry I think - you can see the fruits. But the leaf
veins
being relatively few and swept forwards is bothering me.

I thought this tree might be an apple, possibly crab apple. Does that
help, Stewart?

Maybe. The leaf venation does look rather like an apple. Maybe it's an
ornamental crab.

A picture that can be enlarged might help.

How's this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...85632/sizes/o/

I agree - Flickr has made it harder with their "Lightbox" interface...

Better thanks, definitely young fruit, did you see flowers on it?
The best I can come up with is weeping crab apple
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thehol...n/photostream/

I'm starting to wonder about lime (Tilia)?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-06-2014, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2014 13:31, sacha wrote:
On 2014-06-11 22:29:51 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Tilia leaves are palmately veined at the base.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 15-06-2014, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi folk,

On 2014-06-10 12:40:36 +0000, Tim Watts said:

I was wondering if anyone would recognise any of the 6 plants in this
photoset please? All growing on heavy non alkaline clay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...7644693912260/

"Ground stuff" looks like
something I can't remember the name of but it has a rather acrid smell,
I think.

I had a closer look at "ground stuff" - here's a super closeup:

https://flic.kr/p/nGgkKT

Now, it has a very strong smell when rubbed. Not acrid. But sweet and
herby. I've been through my kitchen herbs to compare.

I would say it melt like sage maybe (though I'm out of sage to do a side
by side comparison). It's pungent and sweet like rosemary or lavender
but does not have the characteristic compents that make those unique.

Doesn't look like any sage I know - but here's a sage with a similar
leaf structu

http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/wp-c...-of-nature.jpg

It's not blue russian sage:

http://theamberlight.wordpress.com/2...n-sage-sticks/

Are there any other herbs that it could be - perhaps one that's not
common in cookery, so I could be mistaking it?

I was wondering about oregano, but it has none of the bitter smell of
culinary oregano.
Old 15-06-2014, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2014 10:41, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi folk,

On 2014-06-10 12:40:36 +0000, Tim Watts said:

I was wondering if anyone would recognise any of the 6 plants in this
photoset please? All growing on heavy non alkaline clay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...7644693912260/

"Ground stuff" looks like
something I can't remember the name of but it has a rather acrid smell,
I think.

I had a closer look at "ground stuff" - here's a super closeup:

https://flic.kr/p/nGgkKT

Now, it has a very strong smell when rubbed. Not acrid. But sweet and
herby. I've been through my kitchen herbs to compare.

It is probably Matricaria (matricariodes) discoidea. It's common name
is something like Pineapple Plant. It does have a very pungent,
sweetish smell.

It's fairly common around waste ground and fields.

I would say it melt like sage maybe (though I'm out of sage to do a side
by side comparison). It's pungent and sweet like rosemary or lavender
but does not have the characteristic compents that make those unique.

Doesn't look like any sage I know - but here's a sage with a similar
leaf structu

http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/wp-c...-of-nature.jpg

It's not blue russian sage:

http://theamberlight.wordpress.com/2...n-sage-sticks/

Are there any other herbs that it could be - perhaps one that's not
common in cookery, so I could be mistaking it?

I was wondering about oregano, but it has none of the bitter smell of
culinary oregano.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Request for plant ids Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 5 06-07-2014 12:38 PM
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Tropical Plant IDs James Gardening 8 13-05-2004 02:02 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 02:29 AM