Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Request for plant ids

Sorry the threading's broken - I do not have the original to reply to
since change of USENET provider.

Anyway - a good while back you guys kindly gave me some plant ID advice.

This one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...718469/sizes/l

looked dead. But someone kindly suggested it needed some nitrates.

So I got some blood,fish & bone pellets and using an iron bar, made a
series (about 6) of 6" deep 2" wide holes at various locations ina 1
foot radius around the main stem.

I filled each hole with BFB pellets and covered over, then watered (it
get's watered when I put the lawn sprinkler on (new grass nearby had to
do that).

Anyway - this is the plant now:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...133018/sizes/l

I don't think I've seen it flower before. So I reckon the fertiliser worked.

Next year, when it's regained some strenght I will see about
transplanting it to the other side of the lawn.

Thanks folks
Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/14 11:14, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just one comment: that's a massive overdose of fertiliser. You only
need a light scattering of fertiliser, BFB or whatever, around the
base of the plant (whatever it is), possibly followed by lightly
raking it in and watering. Too much fertiliser has a greater chance of
killing a plant that too little. You probably got away with it this
time because it was a slow release fertiliser, but you might not be so
lucky next time.

Hi Chris,

I really wasn't sure of the dosage - and I was counting on BFB being a
slow release all rounder which is why I chose it I couldn't rake it
in as the soil is solid roots near the surface.

Certainly if I'd done this with pure sodium/potassium nitrate I expect
the plant would be one fire by now :-o But granted I might have been a
bit heavy handed with the BFB!

On an aside - the grass in the immediate area seems to like it - is BFB
good *lightly* scattered on lawns? Soil here is poor and I sometimes
spray on a lawn fertiliser but that's fast and short lived.

Cheers

Tim
Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 10:44:47 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

[...]

If I were you, meanwhile I'd layer a stem or two into a pot of compost.
They root very easily and you have a standby if the transplant doesn't
take, or a spare plant if it does. Spares are always useful for swaps
:-)

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/hon...e-propagation-
methods#.U7kzj0CM6So

you don't need the rooting hormone IME

Janet
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/14 12:32, Janet wrote:

If I were you, meanwhile I'd layer a stem or two into a pot of compost.
They root very easily and you have a standby if the transplant doesn't
take, or a spare plant if it does. Spares are always useful for swaps
:-)

That's a great idea - I could transplant several then and fill out a gap
next to the hedge.

Thanks Janet!

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/hon...e-propagation-
methods#.U7kzj0CM6So

you don't need the rooting hormone IME

I did not know you could do that - bookmarked

Request for plant ids Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 28 15-06-2014 04:33 PM
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Tropical Plant IDs James Gardening 8 13-05-2004 02:02 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 02:29 AM