Old 16-06-2014, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato plants in soil or pots ?

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry type)
in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the tomatoes
be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would they be
happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse? Thanks
Old 16-06-2014, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , planet1919
@mail.invalid says...

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry type)
in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the tomatoes
be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would they be
happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse? Thanks

At that size, given that they've probably got flowers
developing, I would leave them in their pots - assuming they
are good size 12"+ pots.

Using the border in the greenhouse can be a problem, depending
on the state of the soil. I usually use growbags - 3 plants per
bag, in the greenhouse. But careful you do not overwater!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 16-06-2014, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/2014 13:35, john west wrote:
Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry type)
in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the tomatoes
be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would they be
happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse? Thanks

I grow toms on my plot.....heavy clay soil...and also in 12" pots at
home. Pot grown always give a better crop. Those in pots get a drowning
every day with no ill effects. Compost drys out V quickly.

--
Pete C
adventure before dementia
Old 16-06-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john west" wrote

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry type) in
pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the tomatoes be
*happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would they be happier
actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse? Thanks

We grow our out on out allotment in the normal soil, the only problem with
that is the blight that arrives July time. With a greenhouse it is often
said that the border soil gets depleted and infected over time so it is
advisable to grow in pots. In your case it's the first year so by all means
grow in the soil. That also means if you forget to water for a day or so it
won't matter like it would if they were in pots.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-06-2014, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/2014 19:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
"john west" wrote

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry
type) in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the
tomatoes be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would
they be happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse?
Thanks

We grow our out on out allotment in the normal soil, the only problem
with that is the blight that arrives July time. With a greenhouse it is
often said that the border soil gets depleted and infected over time so
it is advisable to grow in pots. In your case it's the first year so by
all means grow in the soil. That also means if you forget to water for a
day or so it won't matter like it would if they were in pots.

I used to grow mine in the famous 2 pot system. The top one contains the
plant and the feed, and has its bottom removed. The larger one sits
underneath, and is only used for watering. Worked pretty well as I recall

Old 16-06-2014, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/2014 20:23, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/06/2014 19:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
"john west" wrote

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry
type) in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the
tomatoes be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would
they be happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse?
Thanks

I'm surprised that no one has said to do both.
By that I mean plunge the pots half their depth into the soil so that
the roots can grow out of the bottom of the pots and into the soil.
Keep watering the pots well so that the water will soak into the soil
below, in time the roots will follow.

Old 21-06-2014, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:17:07 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 16/06/2014 20:23, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/06/2014 19:07, Bob Hobden wrote:
"john west" wrote

Novice has some tomato plants about 18 inches high (not the cherry
type) in pots.

We have just bought one of those plastic greenhouses. Would the
tomatoes be *happier* in the pots placed in the greenhouse or would
they be happier actually planted in the soil inside the greenhouse?
Thanks

I'm surprised that no one has said to do both.
By that I mean plunge the pots half their depth into the soil so that
the roots can grow out of the bottom of the pots and into the soil.
Keep watering the pots well so that the water will soak into the soil
below, in time the roots will follow.

A friend of mine does that with bottomless pots placed in grow bags and swears
by it.