Old 17-06-2014, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT spatula

The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.
Old 17-06-2014, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

Get some thin hardwood, and cut and sand it to shape. I used
utile, because it was easy to get. Avoid iroko, because it
taints.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-06-2014, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 21:27, David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 17-06-2014, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

Get some thin hardwood, and cut and sand it to shape. I used
utile, because it was easy to get. Avoid iroko, because it
taints.

You can find bamboo spatula at Chinese and oriental stores and elsewhere.

On Nicks theme of DIY..........
http://jeffpeachey.com/tag/bamboo-spatulas/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-06-2014, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 22:53, Spider wrote:
On 17/06/2014 21:27, David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

Old 17-06-2014, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/17/2014 5:53 PM, Spider wrote:

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

I still have my first bamboo spatulas - they have gone through the
dishwasher thousands of times, with no damage at all.
Old 18-06-2014, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2014, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2014 08:14, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up
the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.
Old 18-06-2014, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2014 09:21, David Hill wrote:

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.

Another alternative is olive wood (I've got a set of them and they look
great as well as working well).

--
regards andy
Old 18-06-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/17/2014 6:20 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 17/06/2014 22:53, Spider wrote:
On 17/06/2014 21:27, David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

Would this one do? It has a _very_ thin leading edge.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=62804&cat=4,104,53214&ap=6

They ship internationally.

Old 18-06-2014, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up
the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.

Have a Google on "flexible metal spatula". It will have to be fairly
thin to be flexible. Good luck.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-06-2014, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up
the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.

Have a Google on "flexible metal spatula". It will have to be fairly
thin to be flexible. Good luck.

I did spend an hour or two on-line last night looking the best seem to
be on Amazon but in the US of A and I'm not paying around £15.00 +
almost £10 postage.
Found one I really liked in UK but it was tangled up on the web page
with a summer frock so I couldn't find the price, but I have ordered a
stainless steel one for around £5.00 inc postage so I will see what it's
like, It's already been sent.
Thanks for all the ideas folks.
By the way Martin I tried your link but it didn't open for me.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 18-06-2014, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up
the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking about, especially the cranked one.

http://thecookskitchen.com/12745+Palette+Knives

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
David Hill wrote:
The old spatula I've used for years when frying has at last given up
the
ghost.
Trying to find a new one on line all I could find was a picture on
Google with the caption "Antique cooking implement"
Makes me feel old.
David @ a warm and bright side of Swansea Bay
PS I don't like the "plastic things.

There are a number of good bamboo spatulas on the market and I suggest
you have a look. They are very strong and also wash well in a
dishwasher, which some of the older thinish wood ones didn't. I use
them all the time now.

My old one was a very thin metal one, and I do mean thin.

That sounds more like a Palette Knife.

The nearest I can find is a fish slice.

Have a Google on "flexible metal spatula". It will have to be fairly
thin to be flexible. Good luck.

or even look at the Amazon links I provided :-)

Even those ;~). Sorry, Martin, the links didn't work for me earlier.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London