Old 26-06-2014, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Effective bird scarers - Poroporoaki a Sasa o

On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Po atarau

Po atarau
E moea iho nei
E haere ana
Koe ki pamamao
Haere ra
Ka hoki mai ano
Ki i te tau
E tangi atu nei

Old 26-06-2014, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Effective bird scarers

We don't get much mess made by birds.

It's the vermin attracted by the bird food that make the mess.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 30-06-2014, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:14:46 +0100, "Woodworm"
wrote:
snip

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird scarer
that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars off?

Many thanks

A cat

Old 30-06-2014, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Scenario:

Living in the middle of a small estate and where at least half a dozen
other owners have decided to supply food to the local bird population
all year around by fixing bird feeders in their gardens.

That constant flock of birds to the feeders has now caused the rather
annoying problem of bird crap being dropped everywhere in my garden
causing quite a mess and nuisance (and possibly a health hazard to my
grandchildren).

The biggest problem though is with the constant coming and going of
fairly large numbers of jackdaws, magpies, starlings and blackbirds
with the odd crow showing up.

What I can't do:

Get rid of the feeders, the neighbours have politely told me that.
I don't wish to get banged up for using a shotgun!
I have a small calibre air-rifle that can 'tickle' the bigger birds to
move them (I don't wish to invest in a high velocity .22 as dead birds
lying around in various gardens etc.

Now the question:

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird
scarer that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars off?

Many thanks

try uk.rec.birdwatching

Eeer - they are really the people who are going to tell you how to scare birds
away from being fed aren't they.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 7:14 AM, Woodworm wrote:

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird scarer
that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars off?

A plastic snake in the branches of trees,
a DVD hung on fishing line so it can turn and catch the light (only
works for a short time),
tuppenny firecrackers let off as you point a long metal, gun like stick
at the birds (after a while they become conditioned to taking off every
time you walk out of the house with the long metal gun like stick).

We use the latter but using a real gun. The big predatory birds eat the
tiny birds in our garden and large parrots eat all our fruit even
through the nets.

The birds are very clever and know that they need to move off quickly
and they go about a km away and stay away for several hours. We don't
have any neighbours within at least a km.

Effective bird scarers - Update Woodworm United Kingdom 12 15-07-2014 12:27 PM
Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM