Old 24-06-2014, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Effective bird scarers

Scenario:

Living in the middle of a small estate and where at least half a dozen other
owners have decided to supply food to the local bird population all year
around by fixing bird feeders in their gardens.

That constant flock of birds to the feeders has now caused the rather
annoying problem of bird crap being dropped everywhere in my garden causing
quite a mess and nuisance (and possibly a health hazard to my
grandchildren).

The biggest problem though is with the constant coming and going of fairly
large numbers of jackdaws, magpies, starlings and blackbirds with the odd
crow showing up.

What I can't do:

Get rid of the feeders, the neighbours have politely told me that.
I don't wish to get banged up for using a shotgun!
I have a small calibre air-rifle that can 'tickle' the bigger birds to move
them (I don't wish to invest in a high velocity .22 as dead birds lying
around in various gardens etc.

Now the question:

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird scarer
that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars off?

Many thanks

Old 24-06-2014, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:14:46 +0100, Woodworm wrote:

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird
scarer that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars off?

Take up falconry.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-06-2014, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Scenario:

[...]

try uk.rec.birdwatching
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-06-2014, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Woodworm" wrote ...

[...]

Makes a change from cats.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-06-2014, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2014 22:14, Woodworm wrote:
[...]

Have a look at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...4eckwlgz c_bb

Old 25-06-2014, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-25 08:51:52 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Or have a look at the other 'sock' this person uses when forgetting to
change the address he or she is posting from!! Yet another pest trying
to stir up urg. Perhaps we should develop a troll spray! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-06-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

David Hill wrote:

Have a look at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...4eckwlgz c_bb

I've also seen CDs strung up, although whether they actually work or
not...

--
Chris
Old 25-06-2014, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 10:09, CT wrote:
David Hill wrote:

Have a look at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...4eckwlgz c_bb

I've also seen CDs strung up, although whether they actually work or
not...

A neighbour who got fed up with magpies pulling the babies out of the
local robins' nests and eating them, took to scaring off the predatory
birds with a .177 airgun.

These birds are not daft and would not hang around if his back door or
window was open. He carved some Balsa wood and glued one of these
inexpensive reflex red dot sights which makes for very accurate shooting.

Firing over their heads is enough for them to go elsewhere permanently.
These birds you mention are classed as *vermin* and can be legally
shot at, to scare them away.
Old 25-06-2014, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Or have a look at the other 'sock' this person uses when forgetting to
change the address he or she is posting from!! Yet another pest trying
to stir up urg. Perhaps we should develop a troll spray! ;-)

As I said above!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-06-2014, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Scenario:

snipped
Get rid of the feeders, the neighbours have politely told me that.
I don't wish to get banged up for using a shotgun!
I have a small calibre air-rifle that can 'tickle' the bigger birds
to move them (I don't wish to invest in a high velocity .22 as dead
birds lying around in various gardens etc.

Now the question:

Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making bird
scarer that would go a very long way to scaring the little beggars
off? Many thanks

try uk.rec.birdwatching

Sorry sacha, you're too bloody ugly!

Old 25-06-2014, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-25 08:51:52 +0000, David Hill said:

On 24/06/2014 22:14, Woodworm wrote:
Scenario:

Snipped

Have a look at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...4eckwlgz c_bb

Or have a look at the other 'sock' this person uses when forgetting to
change the address he or she is posting from!! Yet another pest
trying to stir up urg. Perhaps we should develop a troll spray! ;-)

This particular "sock" is actually asking a serious question - but yet
again, you have taken it upon yourself to be judge, jury and executioner for
no particular reason.

As for "troll spray" I'm afraid all your bullshit won't work and as for
being a garden centre owner - you know about as much about the subject as a
dead carrot!

Old 25-06-2014, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:04:31 +0100, john t west wrote:

These birds you mention are classed as *vermin* and can be legally
shot at, to scare them away.

Careful there is no real legal definition of "vermin". Some
animals/birds/plants are considered "pests" and can be legally
shot/trapped etc, provided the death is still humane.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-06-2014, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , sacha
writes
On 2014-06-24 21:14:46 +0000, Woodworm said:

Snipped.
Now the question:
Can anyone therefore suggest a good, effective, non-noise making
bird scarer that would go a very long way to scaring the little
beggars off?
Many thanks

try uk.rec.birdwatching

Except that contributors to that newsgroup are more into encouraging
birds than getting rid of them!

And there's enough of the little beggars now!

If there is a serious health hazard, as opposed to a possible one,
then approach the local council's environmental health department.

EH are not interested until I can bag enough of the stuff to sell as guano
to sacha! Apparently there isn't enough EH Officers to tackle such mundane
problems due to the lack of funds.

I hope you are not being serious when suggesting using a high velocity
.22, which has a range of 45â?"50 yards, among houses, while firing a
small calibre air-rifle at birds to deliberately wound them would be
regarded with disfavour by, e.g., the RSPCA.

1) If I wished to do that, then it's no problem getting hold of a .22 - but
there would be a problem in collecting around 50-100 bodies of jackdaws etc
without the bird-loving neighbours complaining! Besides, it is unlawful to
fire over my garden fence onto their property to shoot the beggars at the
optimum time - when they've got their beaks into the various feeding
troughs!

2) Not interested in what the RSPCA/RSPB have to say - as contrary to
general belief, they cannot simply knock my door and start throwing their
(biased) weight around and expect a result - they have to get the evidence
to obtain a warrant first.

3) And if I wanted to actually 'knock the buggers off', why would I enquire
here for the advice of any contributor who could recommend and *effective*
bird scarer?

And thank for you response - and accept my apologies for brutally snipping
the post.

That's because aioe has a limit on their post size,

Old 25-06-2014, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Now you really shouldn't talk about sacha like that - naughty boy, she'll
have to spank you now.

BTW, this really was a post asking a genuine question with no attempt at
sacha's favourite word [trolling] - of which from the O/T tone of many of
her posts, sacha could rightly be accused of.

As for this group, it's so damned insular that it's not worth the time
asking for any information here *UNLESS* sacha decrees that a poster with
can be admitted into her hand-'plucked' cabal of sycophants!

Old 25-06-2014, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-25 08:51:52 +0000, David Hill said:

On 24/06/2014 22:14, Woodworm wrote:
Scenario:

Snipped

Have a look at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...4eckwlgz c_bb

Or have a look at the other 'sock' this person uses when forgetting to
change the address he or she is posting from!! Yet another pest
trying to stir up urg. Perhaps we should develop a troll spray! ;-)

This particular "sock" is actually asking a serious question - but yet
again, you have taken it upon yourself to be judge, jury and executioner for
no particular reason.

As for "troll spray" I'm afraid all your bullshit won't work and as for
being a garden centre owner - you know about as much about the subject as a
dead carrot!

Pity you spend all your time attacking others and don't bother to read
the advice I posted, or is it you don't really want an answer?
Just an excuse?

Effective bird scarers - Update Woodworm United Kingdom 12 15-07-2014 12:27 PM
Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM