Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower of the moment

People ask "What's your favourite flower?"
Well if you're like me, it depends what is in flower at the time.
At present it's Alstromeria.
How one flower can have such a variety in it is almost unbelievable.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps81471370.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps4fbf6853.jpg
The dwarf one you gave me Sacha is now at around 3ft tall, lovely colour
but it's a shame it doesn't open as much as the others.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9031273e.jpg
I wonder what my next favourite will be.
David @ a warm and dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-02 20:48:29 +0000, David Hill said:

People ask "What's your favourite flower?"
Well if you're like me, it depends what is in flower at the time.
At present it's Alstromeria.
How one flower can have such a variety in it is almost unbelievable.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps81471370.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps4fbf6853.jpg

The dwarf one you gave me Sacha is now at around 3ft tall, lovely
colour but it's a shame it doesn't open as much as the others.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9031273e.jpg

I wonder what my next favourite will be.
David @ a warm and dry side of Swansea Bay

They're lovely and I particularly like 6583, those colours are
luscious. Bu A. pulchella is my particular favourite. I find the
colours particularly rich and almost mediaeval in some way. We've also
got its cousin Bomaria hirtella in flower at the moment and that is a
really attractive climber though with much smaller flowers. Have you
got it, David? If not, next time you're here.... ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ...

People ask "What's your favourite flower?"
Well if you're like me, it depends what is in flower at the time.
At present it's Alstromeria.
How one flower can have such a variety in it is almost unbelievable.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps81471370.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps4fbf6853.jpg
The dwarf one you gave me Sacha is now at around 3ft tall, lovely colour
but it's a shame it doesn't open as much as the others.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9031273e.jpg
I wonder what my next favourite will be.

Ours are over now, just the last few flowers. We have a tall yellow and a
shorter red. They tend to look a bit sad from now on, do you pull/cut all
the old flower stalks off and tidy up or just leave them looking sad until
new growth takes over.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2014 23:12, Sacha wrote:
On 2014-07-02 20:48:29 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

If you like alstros, you might like to browse he
http://www.chileflora.com/Florachile...emeriaceae.php

The whole chileflora website is worth looking through. There is a lot
of useful information, and some fine pictures. The seedlist is pretty
comprehensive, but it's not cheap. Fortunately, the minimum order size
does not appear to exist any more - it used to be $200!!!

--

Jeff
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

People ask "What's your favourite flower?"
Well if you're like me, it depends what is in flower at the time.
At present it's Alstromeria.

Ditto! Last week I saw pots of "Summer Breeze" and "Indian Summer"
on sale locally and bought the first. Of course I should have snapped up
both on the spot. Yesterday I went back for the other and they'd all
gone :-(

Also bought a wonderful bunch of the cut flowers at a village fete..
no idea what but its a wonderful colour combination of red, apricot,
and clear yellow, with dark stripes, against purplish foliage. (Must
have come from some local garden....hmmm)

My other "flower of the moment" is the huge blowsy ensata irises with
flowers the size of a teaplate.

Janet

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-02 20:48:29 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Lovely! Thanks, Jeff. I had no idea there are so many.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote
Lovely! Thanks, Jeff. I had no idea there are so many.

This UK site has an excellent selection....

http://www.alstroemeriaselect.co.uk/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-03 16:04:57 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
Lovely! Thanks, Jeff. I had no idea there are so many.

This UK site has an excellent selection....

http://www.alstroemeriaselect.co.uk/

Thanks, Bob. I'll peruse that at leisure. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com