Old 16-07-2014, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Loops: way of hanging hosepipe

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:53:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

At the Theatre we now have a very long hose to water all of the flower
plants which have been provided, complete with troughs, by a local
nursery/garden centre. This hose can just lay out on the flat roof of the
foyer because nobody can see it :-)

Mike

Typical ,somebody donates something and the item is then ill treated.
Lying on the flat roof it will have it's life shortened by the heat
of the Sun and the Ultra violet degrading the material.
But it was free so who cares. And presumably this flat roof needs to
drain rainfall freely ,a lying hose will form a nice little dam that
will cause pooling and ultimately leaks through the roof . Then the
begging bowl will be rattled again or money demanded from the council.

G.Harman

Thank you for your comments G.Harman, especially the bit about the Sun and
Ultra Violet and your comments about the dam and pools of water. These will
now take everything into consideration and see what can be done to avoid any
damage or deterioration.

However the sun doesn't get round to the balcony until mid day 'ish' so
there is quite a bit of shade we can consider.

With regards to the 'leaky roof' and going begging bowl in hand to the
Council, that would be a waste of time because they didn't look after it
when they owned it, it is since April 23rd 2010 when we took it over that a
vast amount of improvements were made. It is therefore in 'OUR' interest to
make sure damage isn't done, after all we have only just redecorated the
foyer and stairs to the balcony!!! (and that included a very big repair to
the ornate coving on the stairs)

The operation of Shanklin Theatre since it was taken over by Shanklin
Theatre Trust, Shanklin Theatre Ltd and The Friends of Shanklin Theatre has
been such a success that other Theatres in the UK who have been struggling
or suffering a slow melt down have contacted or visited us to learn from us.

So you see G.Harmen, your comments disguising an 'Easy Come : Easy Go',
doesn't quite fit. You might be interested in
http://www.shanklintheatre.com/friends.aspx

Mike

Old 16-07-2014, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/2014 11:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:03:24 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I think I tried that and found it too difficult to get right.

It does take practice but once learnt is well worth that litle bit of
effort. I use that methd to hand coil a 10 to 15 m hose, the longer
one (30 m 50 m?) is kept in a figure of eight. Figure of eights are
easy to move drag from one end, or stick an arm through each hole to
carry.

IME a good quality hose is always easier to coil.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/2014 08:37, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I've tried a new (to me) way of hanging a hose on a hook, so that it's
not twisted/snagged when it's unwound for use. I call it "Loops".

1. Run the hose out preferably on a long stretch of garden, so that all
the kinks etc can be removed.

2. Take the nozzle-end back to the tap-end and hang it over the hook.

3. You'll see you've made your first loop. Bring the loop up to the hook
and hang it there.

4. Now you have 2 new loops, so bring them up and hang them together on
the hook.

5. Now bring the 4 new loops and hang them together on the hook, and the
job's done.

When you want to use the hose again, lift all the loops together off the
hook, take the nozzle and drag as much hose away as you need to spray
whatever you need to.

It never seems to tangle/kink/snag.

Perhaps everyone here does this anyway!

HTH

Hugh

Why coil it?
I leave my hoses out where they are used.
Out the field I use a 120 ft hose for watering the dahlias and every
thing else out there.
If I coil it after use then it's harder to move machines over unless I
disconnect it and house it some where.
If it takes me 5 minutes a time to coil it and it's used every day for
16 weeks that's 35 minutes a week, X 16 is 7 hours and 20 min a year,
(the present hose is in it's 4th year) so 3 years is 22 hours say at
just £6.00 an hour that's £132.
A lot more than a new hose would cost.
If I had to disconnect and carry the hose somewhere out of the way then
take it out again and reconnect it would more than double the cost.
And that's just one of the hoses I use.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay but wishing I didn't have to use the
hose each day.
Old 16-07-2014, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
No it's Live Mail that is rubbish. Windows works fine for me using
Agent. It's worked for a few decades so I'm not changing now.

Steve

I use WLM and fine it perfectly OK for email and for newsgroups. OK I do use
the add ons AutoHotkey and WlmQuoteFix which I have to also start up when I
start my computer but they sort out the s and the sig when replying to a
post.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-07-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-16 19:57:56 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

But aren't yours the heavy duty type with a lance, David? They probably
take a generation to rot away!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-07-2014, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:36:16 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:03:24 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I think I tried that and found it too difficult to get right.

It does take practice but once learnt is well worth that litle bit of
effort. I use that methd to hand coil a 10 to 15 m hose, the longer
one (30 m 50 m?) is kept in a figure of eight. Figure of eights are
easy to move drag from one end, or stick an arm through each hole to
carry.

Has anyone else come across the X-Hose? I've just bought one for my
very small garden and it actually does what the ad says it does. It is
crinkled, short and takes up little space, When the water is turned on
it extends, and drains off when water is turned off again.
I have a plastic arch-thing on my wall which my pld hose hangs over
but I've noticed that as the hose gets older it is less flexible. For
me this new one seems to be ideal and when shrunk one loop is enough
and it takes up hardly any space. (Google x-hose)
I'm not sure how long it will last!
Old 18-07-2014, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

How long is it when it is stretched out? We too only have a small garden,
maximum hose length required from front to back is about 100 ft and the hose
has to be 'stored', at present on a Hozelock reel, but when that gives up
the ghost .................. ;-)

Mike

For ex Royal Navy?
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 23rd July 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 18-07-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I've had two. The first one started to leak after a month so I got a
replacement. It failed after a few days. The inflating part burst. I
won't be buying another.

Steve
--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 18-07-2014, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thank you Steve. You have answered my question ;-)

Something like the Solar Trickle Charger I had for my Triumph Bonneville I
bought four/five years back ........................................
rubbish. Even the replacement charger was rubbish .............

Hosepipe Maart United Kingdom 5 17-06-2005 06:00 PM
Hosepipe Question Robin McInnes United Kingdom 2 22-05-2005 11:12 AM
Attaching a hosepipe to a tap without it leaking Andy Coleman United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 12:09 PM
Good quality, reinforced hosepipe? Nath United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 06:12 PM