Old 16-07-2014, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Loops: way of hanging hosepipe

I've tried a new (to me) way of hanging a hose on a hook, so that it's
not twisted/snagged when it's unwound for use. I call it "Loops".

1. Run the hose out preferably on a long stretch of garden, so that all
the kinks etc can be removed.

2. Take the nozzle-end back to the tap-end and hang it over the hook.

3. You'll see you've made your first loop. Bring the loop up to the hook
and hang it there.

4. Now you have 2 new loops, so bring them up and hang them together on
the hook.

5. Now bring the 4 new loops and hang them together on the hook, and the
job's done.

When you want to use the hose again, lift all the loops together off the
hook, take the nozzle and drag as much hose away as you need to spray
whatever you need to.

It never seems to tangle/kink/snag.

Perhaps everyone here does this anyway!

HTH

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 16-07-2014, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message ...

[...]

We have a Hozelock reel on the back of the house near the tap and under the
veranda with a very long hose on it which reaches right down the garden to
the road at the back where the garage is, HOWEVER, winding all of that in is
a long job because of its weight and drag, SO, we use your 'loop' method to
bring it up nearer the reel when we start to reel in.

At the Theatre we now have a very long hose to water all of the flower
plants which have been provided, complete with troughs, by a local
nursery/garden centre. This hose can just lay out on the flat roof of the
foyer because nobody can see it :-)

Mike

Old 16-07-2014, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Flowers at the Theatre

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-TL6I6...-of-Other.html

Mike

Old 16-07-2014, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/14 08:53, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Sounds interesting.

What about the figure-8 way that long TV camera cables are collected up?
Long established method to avoid twisting the cables. Wonder how well it
would work with hose...

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/07/begi...fessional-way/
Old 16-07-2014, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:37:26 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've tried a new (to me) way of hanging a hose on a hook, so that it's
not twisted/snagged when it's unwound for use. I call it "Loops".

1. Run the hose out preferably on a long stretch of garden, so that all
the kinks etc can be removed.

And even better if that can be down hill so the residual water can
drain out (stop connectors having a coupler put in to open them...).

3. You'll see you've made your first loop. Bring the loop up to the hook
and hang it there.

4. Now you have 2 new loops, so bring them up and hang them together on
the hook.

5. Now bring the 4 new loops and hang them together on the hook, and the
job's done.

I don't follow that at all, sorry. Doesn't hanginga hose on a hook
strees it at the point of contact. Old car wheel attached to wall
will provide btter support.

Day job involves handling cables up to 50 m in length and anything
from 1/4" dia and flexible to 3/4" dia and not very flexible.

The big stuff it either wound onto and pulled off drums, no twists
introduced. If not on a drum it will be laid on the ground in a
"figure of 8" pattern. Each loop end of the eight puts in a twist BUT
in opposite directions so when you pick up the top of the heap end
and walk away it just pulls off the heap, the twists cancelling out.

Small cables are hand coiled but with a technique that alternates the
direction of the twist between each loop. So again they cancel out
when you walk away from the coil lying on the ground with an end.

Various YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk - Clear demo of twist
free hand coiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg - How not to's and the
other hand position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEv9wm6gy0 - Alternative "ladder"
type

Be aware that if you take an end through the loops of coil, you can
end up with a series of knots. Don't panic they are all tied in the
same direction so just take and end and follow the cable back through
all the knots and pull, they'll all come undone, no need to do each
one individually.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 16-07-2014, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:34:01 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Flowers at the Theatre

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-TL6I6...-of-Other.html

Mike

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?
Old 16-07-2014, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?

Wonders will never cease! I am going to say a good word for Microsoft,
and even its poxious mailer :-)

No, it's not broken, that so-called signature separator mechanism is.
It always was a stupid idea, perpetrated by a few ignorant fanatics,
sneaked into an RFC on other matters, and has never worked. If it
had used a less cretinous set of characters, it might have been
accepted by the mailer communities but, as it is, it never has been.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2014, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:

Sounds interesting.

What about the figure-8 way that long TV camera cables are collected up?
Long established method to avoid twisting the cables. Wonder how well it
would work with hose...

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/07/begi...fessional-way/

I think I tried that and found it too difficult to get right.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 16-07-2014, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/14 09:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I don't follow that at all, sorry. Doesn't hanginga hose on a hook
strees it at the point of contact. Old car wheel attached to wall
will provide btter support.

Actually I have a double hook arrangement so that the hose is supported
on a length, not a single hook's worth.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 16-07-2014, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/14 10:35, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:34:01 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Flowers at the Theatre

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-TL6I6...-of-Other.html

Mike

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?

? Because it's Window$ that's broken?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 16-07-2014, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/14 10:46, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?

Wonders will never cease! I am going to say a good word for Microsoft,
and even its poxious mailer :-)

No, it's not broken, that so-called signature separator mechanism is.
It always was a stupid idea, perpetrated by a few ignorant fanatics,
sneaked into an RFC on other matters, and has never worked. If it
had used a less cretinous set of characters, it might have been
accepted by the mailer communities but, as it is, it never has been.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You could always use Linux.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 16-07-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:10:08 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

On 16/07/14 10:35, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:34:01 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Flowers at the Theatre

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album-TL6I6...-of-Other.html

Mike

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?

? Because it's Window$ that's broken?

Hugh

No it's Live Mail that is rubbish. Windows works fine for me using
Agent. It's worked for a few decades so I'm not changing now.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 16-07-2014, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:03:24 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I think I tried that and found it too difficult to get right.

It does take practice but once learnt is well worth that litle bit of
effort. I use that methd to hand coil a 10 to 15 m hose, the longer
one (30 m 50 m?) is kept in a figure of eight. Figure of eights are
easy to move drag from one end, or stick an arm through each hole to
carry.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 16-07-2014, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Hugh Newbury wrote:

It would appear that Windows Live Mail is broken and doesn't understand sig
separators. Why does that not surprise me?

Wonders will never cease! I am going to say a good word for Microsoft,
and even its poxious mailer :-)

No, it's not broken, that so-called signature separator mechanism is.
It always was a stupid idea, perpetrated by a few ignorant fanatics,
sneaked into an RFC on other matters, and has never worked. If it
had used a less cretinous set of characters, it might have been
accepted by the mailer communities but, as it is, it never has been.

You could always use Linux.

Eh? I do, of course. But the purpose of Email always has been to
communicate with OTHER people, and has been a cross-system facility
since the early 1970s (well before SMTP).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2014, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:53:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

At the Theatre we now have a very long hose to water all of the flower
plants which have been provided, complete with troughs, by a local
nursery/garden centre. This hose can just lay out on the flat roof of the
foyer because nobody can see it :-)

Mike

Typical ,somebody donates something and the item is then ill treated.
Lying on the flat roof it will have it's life shortened by the heat
of the Sun and the Ultra violet degrading the material.
But it was free so who cares. And presumably this flat roof needs to
drain rainfall freely ,a lying hose will form a nice little dam that
will cause pooling and ultimately leaks through the roof . Then the
begging bowl will be rattled again or money demanded from the council.

G.Harman

Hosepipe Maart United Kingdom 5 17-06-2005 06:00 PM
Hosepipe Question Robin McInnes United Kingdom 2 22-05-2005 11:12 AM
Attaching a hosepipe to a tap without it leaking Andy Coleman United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 12:09 PM
Good quality, reinforced hosepipe? Nath United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 06:12 PM