Old 17-07-2014, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ugh

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2014, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2014, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

And how come once it's on your fingers the slime turns to superglue? I hate
that.

Steve

Old 17-07-2014, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:34:09 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 17-07-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a
13-amp plug", and wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I
reckon the shock from grabbing that would be far less than what you'd
experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

--

Jeff

Old 17-07-2014, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?
Old 17-07-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

You'd probably have to starve them for a while, as they do snails - or
you'll end up ingesting the last toxic plat they ate...
Old 17-07-2014, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

What with this and the woodlice I'll have to stop reading URG just before
lunch. :-(
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-07-2014, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

Years ago, when I was a young man of about 23 I was a keen coarse
fisherman, and I used to fish the River Kennett , for amongst other
fish, Chubb. And one of the really good baits for Chubb are those
delightful looking keel slugs, the big black ones, with the revolting
looking orange ones a good second.

Collecting them from the nearby park after dark in torchlight was one
thing, but putting them on the hook was an absolute abomination. I will
draw a blank about the "squishyness" of the horrid things. But they did
catch Chubb! So at the time it seemed a worthwhile price to pay.

I'm sure I couldn't do it now!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 17-07-2014, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a 13-amp plug", and
wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I reckon the shock from grabbing that
would be far less than what you'd experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

It's all a matter of perception really, and I share the revulsion of others.
But I do wonder what our reaction would be if slugs could sing!

Ardmhor

Old 17-07-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

And how come once it's on your fingers the slime turns to superglue? I
hate that.

Steve

That is so true! I've started wiping the slime off on the brick of the
house wall. It seems to help, but there's always some slime left
behind. Yuk! Worse when you wash your hands. Double yuk!!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 17-07-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 17-07-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 19:44:51 +0000, philgurr said:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a
13-amp plug", and wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I
reckon the shock from grabbing that would be far less than what you'd
experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

It's all a matter of perception really, and I share the revulsion of others.
But I do wonder what our reaction would be if slugs could sing!

Ardmhor

Sheer terror. It's bad enough that they're slithering round creating
silent havoc. Noisy havoc would be beyond reason.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-07-2014, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

A friend of a former Swedish Navy officer who claimed that the best Swedish meat
balls were made by ships's cooks wearing shorts in hot climates rolling the meat
on their thighs. That put me off Swedish meat balls fir life.

Now I shall never enjoy Ikea meatballs again!

Ugh, I am a backlogged idiot Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2004 05:30 PM
UGH! Snails! Troy Bruder Freshwater Aquaria Plants 38 18-02-2004 08:54 AM
UGH! Snails! Troy Bruder Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2004 04:42 PM
Stinking Fungus-UGH KPDOBES Gardening 2 03-06-2003 04:08 AM
ugh - all my roses are yellow torgo Roses 0 16-04-2003 05:08 PM