Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cornus hongkongensis

I just noticed that this evergreen Cornus is still blooming! It comes
out a bit after the other large-bract dogwoods (we seem to get florida
first, followed by kousa) but even still that's an outstandingly long
flowering period.

This is it's first flowers here, it was planted a few years ago as a 5l
and has been growing enthusiastically, very pretty waxy leaves all year.
Seems to be quite hardy.

I would definitely recommend this in a small garden looking for a
flowering evergreen.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2014 11:14, Emery Davis wrote:
I just noticed that this evergreen Cornus is still blooming! It comes
out a bit after the other large-bract dogwoods (we seem to get florida
first, followed by kousa) but even still that's an outstandingly long
flowering period.

This is it's first flowers here, it was planted a few years ago as a 5l
and has been growing enthusiastically, very pretty waxy leaves all year.
Seems to be quite hardy.

I would definitely recommend this in a small garden looking for a
flowering evergreen.

Any idea how it compares with Cornus capitata for hardiness?

--

Jeff
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 21:06:53 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 05/08/2014 11:14, Emery Davis wrote:

I would definitely recommend this in a small garden looking for a
flowering evergreen.

Any idea how it compares with Cornus capitata for hardiness?

Maybe a little hardier, but I'm not sure. Said to be good well below
-12C but I think experience in the west is probably limited. Mine has
probably not dealt with anything colder that -6 or so, but I've only had
it a couple of years.

They seem to be a related anyway, Flora of China refs:

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.as...n_id=242314443
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.as...n_id=242314424

No idea which subspecies I've got, though I doubt it will get much more,
if even, 3m tall.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 24-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
I just noticed that this evergreen Cornus is still blooming! It comes
out a bit after the other large-bract dogwoods (we seem to get florida
first, followed by kousa) but even still that's an outstandingly long
flowering period.

This is it's first flowers here, it was planted a few years ago as a 5l
and has been growing enthusiastically, very pretty waxy leaves all year.
Seems to be quite hardy.

I would definitely recommend this in a small garden looking for a
flowering evergreen.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Thank you for posting this. Saw honkongensis in a nursery yesterday and just trying to find out if it will be happy with us here in Vire, Lower Normandy. Google led me to you and by the sounds of it this Cornus is a winner. I wondered if you growing this in UK or Normandy, but in any case our weather here is similar to southern UK although we lack shelter and I think we are in a slight frost pocket.