Old 15-08-2014, 08:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Lighting

Sacha wrote:

I have never seen the
virtue in lighting up bits of the garden unless people are walking up a
path which might lead them to fall into a pond or other hazard! You
can see the garden in daylight, as nature intended, surely? Why do you
need to see it at night, too when it belongs to other creatures? I'm
speaking very generally, of course but truly, I see no joy in lighting
a tree here or a shrub there. To me it's so unnatural that it's
unattractive. Personal choice, as always, of course.

Well, I have the good fortune to be retired, and can spend as
much time looking at the garden as I wish.

My partner still works. For much of the year, by the time we sit
down to eat, with patio doors overlooking the garden, it is dark
outside. This being the case, she only sees the garden in
daylight at weekends.

It occurred to me that it might be pleasant to install a few
discreetly located lights so that the evening prospect was a
little more interesting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2014 10:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

Obviously enough, don't do what the previous owner of my house did: run
a spur out the back of a wall socket through the outside wall and into
the garden.
Old 15-08-2014, 09:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jon Connell wrote:
On 14/08/2014 10:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

Obviously enough, don't do what the previous owner of my house did: run
a spur out the back of a wall socket through the outside wall and into
the garden.

provided it's RCD protected, what's the problem?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old 15-08-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:31:15 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

My partner still works. For much of the year, by the time we sit
down to eat, with patio doors overlooking the garden, it is dark
outside. This being the case, she only sees the garden in
daylight at weekends.

It occurred to me that it might be pleasant to install a few
discreetly located lights so that the evening prospect was a
little more interesting.

If UK was to change to CET in summer you would have long evenings that are
still light at 11 p.m. I can see reasons why CET causes problems up north in
winter.

Whilst true, it wouldn't make enough difference in spring and
autumn.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 15-08-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 22:15:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been
replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That helped keep mosquitoes away - the paraffin, I mean.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2014, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been
replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

That helped keep mosquitoes away - the paraffin, I mean.

No way - tropical mosquitoes aren't the wimpish things that we
get in the far north! We used netting and DMP.

Paraffin was used against white ants - table and chair legs stood
in tin cans with an inch of it in the bottom.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2014, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2014 11:20, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:43:38 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:29:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:15:11 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

When I was a lad too, and water had to be hand pumped from a well.

When I was a lad I helped to dig the well!

LOL

In my formative years most of our water was rainwater collected either
in a very large galvanised corrugated rainwater but; probably about 500
gallons; or from firstly a hand pump from a well and latterly from a
bore hole.
In the late 40's and early 50's we lived towards the extremities of the
Llyn peninsular; North Wales; there we had a rain water but and a hand
pump outside my bedroom window at the side of the lane which was shared
with the house next door.
when we moved to outside Hastings we had a large underground tank under
the garage which held all our rainwater and we also had a bore hole
which pumped water into the same tank, this was then pumped into a tank
in the roof, either by an electric pump, or if that wasn't working then
by hand.
I hate to think what Health and safety would make of it today, but it
did us no harm.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 15-08-2014, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

Paraffin was used against white ants - table and chair legs stood
in tin cans with an inch of it in the bottom.

Cured piles too? :-)

Er, white paraffin and paraffin aren't the same thing at all!

Did you have Aladdin lamps with mantles too?

I still have, and you can still get new mantles.

And me.

Regards,
Nick.
Old 15-08-2014, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steve you dug a hole and lined it with bricks as opposed to 'sinking a well'
whereby you put a ring of bricks on the ground and out all of the earth from
under them and putting more rounds of bricks on the original thus you lay
those which will be at the bottom of the well, when you have dug it all out,
thus sinking the well.

I think I have that right, perhaps someone can confirm that I have the right
method.

Would love to do one ;-)

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 20th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:29:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:15:11 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open
air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin
lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been
replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

When I was a lad too, and water had to be hand pumped from a well.

When I was a lad I helped to dig the well!

LOL

It's true. My uncle had a farm with a stream running below ground. My
brother and I helped to dig an hole to the stream. The hole was
eventually lined with bricks to make a well. It was bit of a novelty
really.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software
http://www.npsnn.com

Old 15-08-2014, 01:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2014 09:22, charles wrote:
provided it's RCD protected, what's the problem?

It wasn't.

Oh, and the hole wasn't sealed either so there was a lot of water
seeping through into the socket.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:29:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:15:11 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

My aunt still has a reservoir under her lawn in Jersey. Water is
delivered by tanker and comes into the house through a filter. Neither
she nor any of her neighbours wants mains water because they think it
would bring building in their quiet area! In 3 houses in the CIs we had
only borehole water. Only in my last house there did I have mains water.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM