Old 14-08-2014, 10:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Lighting

I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 14-08-2014, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

It will depend in part whether the lighting is just to look pretty or do any
illumination?

The very cheap solar lights I find have poor batteries which normally fail
after a short time, and low power lights look very pretty around the pond or
such but actually produce nearly zero light for illuminating steps say.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 14-08-2014, 11:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

My main gripe on the plastic ones is that the UV and frost seems to get at
those frosty globe things made of plastic almost on a yearly basis, and also
the insulation displacement connections on the lamps and psu tend to go
intermittent as no attempt seems to be made to stop the weather getting
inside them.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old 14-08-2014, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

It will depend in part whether the lighting is just to look pretty or do any
illumination?

The very cheap solar lights I find have poor batteries which normally fail
after a short time, and low power lights look very pretty around the pond or
such but actually produce nearly zero light for illuminating steps say.

I want to light the trees and shrubs, but don't need access
lights.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 14-08-2014, 01:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative
lighting in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered
devices, and imagine that a low voltage distribution
system would be the way to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but
wonder if anyone has any experience of particularly good
value equipment, or kit with which they have been
particularly pleased or disappointed.

Chris

For decorative purposes we use the solar lights and treat
them as disposables. Most last for over a year, while some
have lasted up to 3 or 4 years. I agree with Philip's
comments and most of ours cost a pound or so.

For lighting paths, they're fine, but for lighting eg steps
not usually up to it unless you use the larger panelled
lights.

For garden interest, try to have some little spotlights to
gave a bit more light to particular plants/ corners, our
few spots were inexpensive but good value.

(our nearest street lamp is about a mile away and we get a
decent amount of sun here)

John

--
John Mulrooney

She's still got the figure she had as a bride . . . in fact she's added to it

Old 14-08-2014, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

The very cheap solar lights I find have poor batteries which normally fail
after a short time, and low power lights look very pretty around the pond
or
such but actually produce nearly zero light for illuminating steps say.

Surely low-voltage LED lights can be bright enough?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 14-08-2014, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:27:01 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have two trees with hidden strings of solar powered led lights. They
are the very cheap ones from my local £1 shop which are said to only
last a year or two but one of the sets is in it's third year now. My
complaints are that the wire is difficult to hide totally and they
only light for about three hours of darkness. I also have a set of ten
wireless solar powered lights that could be hidden in the trees with a
bit of creative positioning. The batteries only last for a year or two
but they are less expensive to buy the whole set of lights than their
replacement batteries. It can't last!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 14-08-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris J Dixon writes:
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

I would make my own LED lamps.
LED lights are stupid prices, so the options are to make your own
(probably starting with a fitting you like which is suitable for
adapting) or to find an outside light which takes MR16's, and
use retrofit MR16 LEDs in it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old 14-08-2014, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 09:06:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

Chris

Sorry to be a killjoy but except for special occasions, I'm not keen on
garden lighting at all. Better to see the night sky and not confuse the
moths!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-08-2014, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 09:06:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

Chris

Sorry to be a killjoy but except for special occasions, I'm not keen on
garden lighting at all. Better to see the night sky and not confuse the
moths!

I wish I could see the night sky. Most people under 60 have never seen
a bright sky at night because of the street and "safety" lighting. If
it was up to me I would impose a night time blackout on everything
after midnight.

Steve

Old 14-08-2014, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sacha wrote:

Sorry to be a killjoy but except for special occasions, I'm not keen on
garden lighting at all. Better to see the night sky and not confuse the
moths!

Drinks on the patio after the evening meal?
I admit I'm in Italy at the moment ...

Old 14-08-2014, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:08:01 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

Sorry to be a killjoy but except for special occasions, I'm not keen on
garden lighting at all. Better to see the night sky and not confuse the
moths!

I wish I could see the night sky. Most people under 60 have never seen
a bright sky at night because of the street and "safety" lighting. If
it was up to me I would impose a night time blackout on everything
after midnight.

Steve

With the way the power stations have been run down to a minimum
reserve you'll probably get your wish this Winter a long time before
midnight.

G.Harman
Old 14-08-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No No No. With all the carbuncle windmills generating electricity even when
there is no wind, all of the lights will stay on.

Tree Huggers, don't you just love them .... not !!

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 20th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 14-08-2014, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-14 15:19:54 +0000, Timothy Murphy said:

sacha wrote:

Sorry to be a killjoy but except for special occasions, I'm not keen on
garden lighting at all. Better to see the night sky and not confuse the
moths!

Drinks on the patio after the evening meal?
I admit I'm in Italy at the moment ...

Candles at most for me, if that were the case. I have never seen the
virtue in lighting up bits of the garden unless people are walking up a
path which might lead them to fall into a pond or other hazard! You
can see the garden in daylight, as nature intended, surely? Why do you
need to see it at night, too when it belongs to other creatures? I'm
speaking very generally, of course but truly, I see no joy in lighting
a tree here or a shrub there. To me it's so unnatural that it's
unattractive. Personal choice, as always, of course.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-08-2014, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM