Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing moss etc on galvanized fence

On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:02, john t west wrote:
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment.

Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there
any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to blend in more?

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/09/2014 20:48, David Hill wrote:
On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:02, john t west wrote:
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment.

Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there
any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to blend in more?

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.

As others have said, I don't think either will work on zinc.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:02, john t west wrote:
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment.

Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there
any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to blend in more?

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.

I use a mixture of moss ground up in the food processor, added to a
bucket of sheep dung, out of date plain yoghurt, and water. Steep
overnight, mix well then slap it on with a wet rag. Speedily promotes
the growth of lichens and mosses (depending on aspect) and an aged look
on raw stone (walls) or clay pots.

Janet.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:08:59 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:00:53 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

but on zinc coated fencing it will just wash off when it rains.

I'm sure I could concoct some mix that will stick to zinc but I
haven't got a suitable galvanised fence to test it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2014 11:16, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
[...]

If you are going to paint with slurry or yoghurt then why not mix in
some PVA glue to help it bond to the zinc?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

Hey, why ot add some grey green paint...

Janet
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:17:17 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:00:53 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.

I use a mixture of moss ground up in the food processor, added to a
bucket of sheep dung, out of date plain yoghurt, and water. Steep
overnight, mix well then slap it on with a wet rag. Speedily promotes
the growth of lichens and mosses (depending on aspect) and an aged look
on raw stone (walls) or clay pots.

but on zinc coated fencing it will just wash off when it rains.

I agree, but the thread had drifted; I was talking about stone, as
were david and ncook.

Janet.

You may have drifted but the thread title says "galvanized fence" so
that's what most of us are still talking about.

Steve

Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Yes, that's what is meant by thread drift, when the discussion veers
away from the OP

so
that's what most of us are still talking about.

You're not paying attention.. most of us are talking about dung,
sprayers,yoghurt flavours, paint, slurry, hops, camouflage netting,
blackberries and Alan Titchmarsh.

Janet

Old 12-09-2014, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2014 16:10, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:17:17 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

[...]

I grant I did drift when I said that in times past they used liquid cow
dung, but I was back with the galv netting when I suggested adding PVA
to it to help it stick to the metal.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay

Old 13-09-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
newshound writes
On 10/09/2014 20:48, David Hill wrote:
On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:02, john t west wrote:
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment.

Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there
any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to blend in more?

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.

As others have said, I don't think either will work on zinc.

It's not the zinc that's the problem: the common mosses Bryum dichotomum
and Bryum argenteum will happily grow on galvanised steel. The problem
is they can't cling to vertical surfaces. You'll probably find them on
the horizontal parts of the fence once they've had time to grow large
enough to notice.
Lichens do better on smooth vertical because they weigh less but they
grow at a rate of millimetres a year. Any growth would be happier once
the zinc has oxidised to a rougher surface, or if you paint it and let
the paint film get a bit flaky.
--
Sue ]

Question about galvanized steel? Lori Walker Ponds 1 25-05-2013 07:29 PM
Q about galvanized metal pond? Sue Solomon Ponds 14 18-06-2005 11:28 PM
Galvanized Pond For Temporary Safekeeping JB Ponds 7 26-05-2004 09:13 PM
Galvanized & Fish T Ponds 17 15-03-2004 11:45 PM
Galvanized trough ok for quarantine Don Ponds 7 30-06-2003 02:32 PM