Old 15-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered User

Default Eucalyptus

I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14 foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut the trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep them trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a bush than tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's for which I would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they please, hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see cages animals).
Many thanks.
Old 16-09-2014, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:11:19 +0200, Charlie2
wrote:

I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14
foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there
are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut the
trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep them
trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a bush than
tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's for which I
would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they please,
hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see cages
animals).
Many thanks.

Beware
I had a eucalyptus which grew to about the same size as yours and with
no branches low down. I cut it back to 6 ft and it died. I cannot
remember now, but I think maybe I did it in the Autumn and maybe
Spring would be better. Sorry to be vague.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I don't know this but it may be better to do it in stages? I planted a
young Eucalyptus hedge and when I wasn't looking, an overenthusiastic
gardener took the top 6" off each one and they very nearly died. I
remember David Poole saying later that we should have let them get
going for at least 2 years first. It's possible they prefer little at
a time, maybe.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-09-2014, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Charlie2 wrote:

I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14
foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there
are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut
the trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep
them trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a
bush than tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's
for which I would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they
please, hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see
cages animals).
Many thanks.

I've got a eucalyptus behind the shed - it was there when we bought the
house. Every year I cut it back as low as I possibly can, and end up
with a stump about 3' high. I'd go lower but it's difficult getting
the saw between the shed & the fence at that point.

I reckon it's currently about 15' high.

--
Chris
Old 16-09-2014, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/09/2014 19:11, Charlie2 wrote:
I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14
foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there
are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut the
trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep them
trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a bush than
tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's for which I
would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they please,
hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see cages
animals).
Many thanks.

I can't understand why if you want to make it into a coppiced plant you
cut off all the growth to 10 ft instead of taking the top out.
It reminds me of many many years ago when I visited Addis Ababa, on the
hills outside the capitol they had planted hundred of acres of
Eucalyptus this was then being coppiced for use for everything from
scaffold poles to the leaves being bundled and sold as fuel for cooking,
nothing was wasted.
Have a look at
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ptus&FORM=AWIR
You don't say what sort of Eucalyptus you have.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 16-09-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14
foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there
are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut the
trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep them
trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a bush than
tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's for which I
would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they please,
hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see cages
animals).
Many thanks.

I have one of the eucalyptus with nearly round leaves. It was in the
garden when we moved here. It's about 30' high and 15' across. I
needed to trim its overhanging branches last year. The whole branch
seemed to give up supporting leaf growth when only trimmed a few feet.
The leaf growth recovered the following year but I don't think I will
risk trimming it again.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Should I bring in eucalyptus plant in zone 6b for winter??????? NAearthMOM Gardening 6 24-10-2003 01:02 AM
What to do with Eucalyptus tree Andrew Jackson United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:56 PM
eucalyptus Audrey Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Repairing a young eucalyptus Wingnut Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
eucalyptus Audrey Australia 2 23-02-2003 06:53 AM