Old 29-12-2014, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The birds dont care

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Mine is a catch dead one- but he ain't stupid

Get a man in - best road - we did several years back and no more moley
since.
He left his trap here with us for about a week -then his son was sent round
retrieve trap and contents - £40 iirc (:-)
Pete

Old 29-12-2014, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 00:21:56 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

If you like to see a predator killing the birds you've attracted, well, it
must be a man thing is all I can say.
Actually, I won't be kind to you, it's sick if you deliberately do it and
it's why I've stopped feeding on the birdtable when I know the sparrowhawk
will come. I'm setting up the small birds to be killed.

When a predatory or larger bird perches on the top of the feeder in my
garden the smaller birds stay away. That's apart from some tits that
seem to be suicidal.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 31-12-2014, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2014 10:35, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...
do you have sparrowhawks in your garden Roger?

Yes I do, and as Malcolm says, there sucess rate is very
limited. I do have a picture of one in the garden, enjoying a
snack, but I'll not upset you by posting it!

Taken to extreme, you arguements could be construed as any
carnivore, including man should not exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been watching this thread develop over time and have to laugh.
My feeder has plenty pf shelter near it for the birds anything from 2 ft
away to 20 ft depending on the direction of flight.
Our resident sparrowhawk patrols about once an hour and I have yet to
see it get a bird from the feeder, my other feeding station is along the
track where I have the feed hanging inside Hanging baskets hung as a
pair on end.
I have seen the Sparrow Hawk holding on to the baskets and trying to
catch a small bird inside the baskets (well we like Chicken in the basket).
I have also seen him diving through the hawthorn hedge after a bird;
which got away.
He has also at times perched on top of the feeder to get his breath
back, or on a nearby branch
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psf1839bc9.jpg
Normally after his visits everything is back to normal within about 3
minutes.
I should add that any mice I trap go onto the track for him and vanish
in very quick time.
David @ a frost free side of Swansea Bay

Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Mine is a catch dead one- but he ain't stupid

Get a man in - best road - we did several years back and no more moley
since.
He left his trap here with us for about a week -then his son was sent
round to
retrieve trap and contents - £40 iirc (:-)
Pete

Might be worth it. I cannot stand in any part of my garden any more, it
sinks because of the mole. so anyone that can get him is very welcome. I
don't like to kill anything but sometimes you have to do what you have to
do.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Tina is clearly one of those who have divided wildlife up into "good" and
"bad". This is a not uncommon stance, but one which is actually quite hard
to defend, as she has found. She now says that she is stopping feeding the
small birds, yet obviously did this for the best of reasons, improving
their survival chances throught the winter and setting them up for
successful breeding in the next season. This good work has now been
abandoned all because another species of birds comes to her bird table and
kills a few of them.

Now that we've got on to the mole, there's a very easy method for her to
get rid of it, adopted by those who look after golf courses and sports
fields. You poison all the nasty slimy worms and the mole, deprived of its
food, goes elsewhere :-)

well, that's not going to happen. I used to poison rats, until I saw one
dying for a few days from it and then killed it myself to prevent further
suffering. which I didn't like to do, so poison is a no no here. After that
I got terriers in. It's much kinder - either the rats get away unscathed or
they don't. If they don't they are dead in a second which is much better
than days of dying of poison, I think you will agree.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Regular visitor to our feeders is a sparrowhawk.
Not after the nuts either !

All is peaceful sharing with the regular woodies though (:-)

Pete

I stopped feeding the birds due to this very thing - a very persistant
sparrowhawk who saw my bird table and hanging feeders as an ideal
opportunity. It felt like I was just setting up a trap for the small
bird's demise.
Unfortunately, the sparrowhawk nested in my garden hatching 6 chicks so
it
will be quite a while before I can feed the birds again.
Feeding the birds used to give me a lot of pleasure.

Then carry on doing so. Sparrowhawks deserve to feed, too, and each will
be satisfied by the equivalent of one starling per day. By having them
nest in your garden, they were taking up to 8 times that.during the
rearing period, so there's no logic in a different attitude during the
winter!

I don't care what you say, I'm not going to feed birds in my garden while
I have sparrowhawks here that will pick them off the birdtable.
I so wish they were not protected.

Oh dearie me.
Would you really kill them, as that is what you are insinuating?

--
David

Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David B" wrote in message

[...]

No, of course not. They are protected. Pity.