Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Houseplant shrivelling

I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I did
this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under watering
it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It would be helpful if we knew what the plant was, how long you have had it
and it's size.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2015 23:54, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It is allergic to trolls.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

On 02/03/2015 23:54, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It is allergic to trolls.

Perhaps it doesn't get enough light under the bridge.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 08:23:00 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 06:53:49 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I did
this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under watering
it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It would be helpful if we knew what the plant was, how long you have had it
and it's size.

and a picture.

I don't know what it is, it was given to me a year ago, and has flourished in all that time and grown larger. Only changing pot made it do this.
Here's a pictu http://petersphotos.com/temp/Shrivelled.jpg
The leaves used to be flat. I was giving all my houseplants regular doses of Baby Bio fertiliser to get them going, and stopped a couple of months ago when they all looked very healthy and the bottle ran out, so I didn't bother buying another one, but the shrivelling was after that, when I changed the pot to a larger one.

--
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:18:51 -0000, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:07:10 -0000, "Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 08:23:00 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 06:53:49 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I did
this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under watering
it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It would be helpful if we knew what the plant was, how long you have had it
and it's size.

and a picture.

I don't know what it is, it was given to me a year ago, and has flourished in all that time and grown larger. Only changing pot made it do this.
Here's a pictu http://petersphotos.com/temp/Shrivelled.jpg

Was the photo taken in summer?

No, just now, in winter. The room is 18C, 45% humidity.

--
If god is so amazing, why did the dinosaurs die out?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was
consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did
this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering
it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

It would be helpful if we knew what the plant was, how long you have
had it
and it's size.

and a picture.

I don't know what it is, it was given to me a year ago, and has
flourished in all that time and grown larger. Only changing pot made it
do this.
Here's a pictu http://petersphotos.com/temp/Shrivelled.jpg

Was the photo taken in summer?

No, just now, in winter. The room is 18C, 45% humidity.

It looks to be suffering from lack of water but it could equally be too much
water which has rotted the roots, the symptoms are the same. Quite a dry
atmosphere for a tropical plant too, not near a radiator by any chance?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:58:55 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

[...]

I've got a meter on it so I know when to water it.

Quite a dry atmosphere for a tropical plant too, not near a radiator by any chance?

It is above a radiator. And 45% humidity is quite normal for a house in winter with the heating on. I wasn't aware it was a tropical plant. It's always been above that radiator. It only wilted when I increased the pot size.

--
Stupid laws, number 467: In America, it is illegal to put money in someone else's parking meter.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

[...]

Move it from above the radiator as it's getting too much heat, and with the
general low humidity, the even lower humidity above the radiator is doing
the damage. It's scorched. It's often the case in winter where most of the
windows also have radiators under them so plants get damaged in the way
yours has. Unfortunately most windows do have radiators under them (if you
have radiators) so it's a common problem in winter.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:13:41 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

[...]

Odd that it lasted this far then suddenly went. It seems to coincide with the change in pot. I guess that altered how much water it was taking in. I'll swap it with one that's on a windowledge with no radiator under it.

--
Interesting fact number 923:
Half the world's population has seen at least one Bond movie.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2015 23:54, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

Could you have over-potted it (to save potting it on next time, perhaps)
which would mean the excess compost would be holding too much moisture,
or failed to bring the new compost to room temperature so that the roots
had a thermal shock?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 12:43:54 -0000, Spider wrote:

On 02/03/2015 23:54, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

Could you have over-potted it (to save potting it on next time, perhaps)
which would mean the excess compost would be holding too much moisture,

I didn't know that was possible. Surely in the wild outside, plants have infinite pot size.

I increased the pot volume by probably double.

or failed to bring the new compost to room temperature so that the roots
had a thermal shock?

I didn't know they were as bad as goldfish! I did the repotting indoors, but I had brought the compost from outside shortly beforehand. Mind you the new compost is only on the edges, the roots are in the old compost which was at room temperature. Wouldn't it get just as much thermal shock when I put cold water in it to water it?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:29:48 -0000, "Tough Guy no. 1265"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:13:41 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

[...]

What compost did you use? Maybe it doesn't like the compost. If you
don't know what it is, does it need an acid compost and you've used
one with lime!
Just a thought!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 23:13:41 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" ...
Martin wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote

[...]

Uh.... the council's free compost. I thought all compost was pretty much the same, and only a few plants needed some additives.

Can anybody identify the plant and ascertain if it needs something special? I guess I could then get some litmus paper and correct the acidity if necessary.

--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2015 13:41, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
[...]

I've been trying to find out what your plant is and the nearest I can
get to it is Calathea rufibarba. There is a good pic at the link below.

http://www.wellgrowhorti.com/Picture...0Rufibarba.jpg

As far as I can tell (*if* this is indeed your plant), it shouldn't need
a special compost type. It is tropical though, so I've no idea how
you've got away with watering it with cold water for so long. Tepid
water would be better. It can tolerate some bright light, folding its
leaves if it's too bright, but prefers a slightly shadier spot.
The fact that you have over-potted it (just the next size pot up would
have been better) in chilly compost *and* compounded that by giving it a
cold drink is quite enough to make it feel poorly. Then to stick the
poor thing in a bright window above a radiator before its roots have had
chance to recover, was simply adding insult to injury.

The reason over-potting is so different to the wild situation (with
boundless soil) is that the pot holds on to water in a way that the
ground rarely does, so the potted plant is left sitting in a soggy sump,
usually meaning that the roots can't breathe.

It would probably help if you could pot your plant down one size, but
certainly watering with tepid water would be much kinder, as would
keeping it somewhere slightly shadier (not dark) until it recovers.

Hoping the id is a match and, if so, that this has been some help.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London