Old 26-04-2015, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelions

My grass patch (I hesitate to call it a lawn ) is covered
this year with dandelions, which seem to have bedded themselves
down into the turf t below the level of the grass. This means
that they survive the fairly high mowing that I do at this time
of the year, although I do get the flowers mostly.

Anyone come across this, and apart from digging them out or
weed killers how can I stop it? I do not mind a few in amongst
all the other weeds and the occasional grass, but this year
they seem to have gone mad!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 27-04-2015, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

My grass patch (I hesitate to call it a lawn ) is covered
this year with dandelions, which seem to have bedded themselves
down into the turf t below the level of the grass. This means
that they survive the fairly high mowing that I do at this time
of the year, although I do get the flowers mostly.

Anyone come across this, and apart from digging them out or
weed killers how can I stop it? I do not mind a few in amongst
all the other weeds and the occasional grass, but this year
they seem to have gone mad!

I use an old large screwdriver with the blade sharpened and push that down
to cut the roots well down so I can pull the whole plant up. That way no
disturbance to the grass except improved airation.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-04-2015, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2015 08:36, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

My grass patch (I hesitate to call it a lawn ) is covered
this year with dandelions, which seem to have bedded themselves
down into the turf t below the level of the grass. This means
that they survive the fairly high mowing that I do at this time
of the year, although I do get the flowers mostly.

Anyone come across this, and apart from digging them out or
weed killers how can I stop it? I do not mind a few in amongst
all the other weeds and the occasional grass, but this year
they seem to have gone mad!

I use an old large screwdriver with the blade sharpened and push that
down to cut the roots well down so I can pull the whole plant up. That
way no disturbance to the grass except improved airation.

A 10 or 12" flat head screwdriver is perfect for this and the thick tap
root snaps with a satisfying crack when you ever it out. It is a mark of
honour to get as long a piece as possible out with the rossette.

A few are easily done in with a spot weeder. A lawn full of the things
then you may as well use weed and feed treatment against all invaders.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-04-2015, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
My grass patch (I hesitate to call it a lawn ) is covered
this year with dandelions, which seem to have bedded themselves
down into the turf t below the level of the grass. This means
that they survive the fairly high mowing that I do at this time
of the year, although I do get the flowers mostly.

Anyone come across this, and apart from digging them out or
weed killers how can I stop it? I do not mind a few in amongst
all the other weeds and the occasional grass, but this year
they seem to have gone mad!

I had this over 6 years ago.
The bloke next door said to poke a hole in the heart (middle) of the
Dandelion and pour some salt in. I did this and it worked a treat.
I've not had any Dandelions since.
Cheap and quick.

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM