Old 17-06-2015, 04:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
Why don't you want Lynx? Reintroductions are happening in several areas

of Europe with no major problems, as far as I understand.

Larry

I don't want them because they won't confine themselves to eating deer.
They will be more than a nuisance with sheep.
Where do you live?

Old 17-06-2015, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
Why don't you want Lynx? Reintroductions are happening in several areas

of Europe with no major problems, as far as I understand.

Larry

I don't want them because they won't confine themselves to eating deer.
They will be more than a nuisance with sheep.
Where do you live?

Lynx are predominantly a woodland animal - where deer mainly live. And
it would seem deer are their prefered prey.

Very few sheep are grazed in woodlands. Undoubtably there would be some
predation on sheep but this can be dealt with as currently happens in
Scotland with Sea Eagles.

And as is the case with Sea Eagles (and Ospreys) the interest among many
people of seeing wild Lynx would create a significant tourist
attraction, providing financial boosts to local economies.

Larry
Old 21-06-2015, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Malcolm Ogilvie" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 May 2015 08:59:08 +0100 (BST),

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

There not room for lynxes (or wolves) to be reintroduced here and I just
wish people would stop banging on about it.
Yes once upon a time we had them, in the 17th century. i have enough
nuisance with foxes without lynxes or wolves being reintroduced.

You are factually wrong as regard lynx. There is ample room; whether
there is for wolves is more debatable, but the answer is "yes, with
reservations." Also, your implications are nonsense. Even the
wildest of foxes are naturally scavengers, and do not avoid humans;
neither lynx nor wolves are, and both do. Furthermore, there are
plenty of places where lynx come into contact with human habitation,
and there is essentially no problem.

So far, I have never seen anyone argue rationally against lynx;
every single one has used purely emotional fury. I could provide
some (weak and dubious) rational arguments against, but opponents
don't seem capable of even that.

Well said, Nick!

Tina, as usual one might say, puts emotion way ahead of facts,.

!!
the very idea of reintroducing lynxes here is crazy. If there is a deer
problem why cannot they be shot to reduce their numbers? I do like
venison.

Wild deer ARE culled by shooting, but doing it safely is a very slow,
time consuming, high-skill job, which means it's hugely expensive, not
very efficient, and poor shots may leave an injured animal to die slowly
of gangrene.

Lynx are faster, more efficient and work for free in all weather
conditions.

Janet