Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

On 03/05/15 22:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

Right. I am also very cautious about Highland, because they are
often left to be a lot more feral than most cattle. But all that
means is not walking through the middle of a herd, or otherwise
being an idiot.

While certainly not wanting to make light of the dangers
of cattle (or hippos), there are many free-range highland
cattle that coexist with walkers, golfers and cars on
Minchinhampton Common.

I said cautious, not panicky - unlike certain posters on this thread!

Well excuse me for thinking reintroducing lynx, bears and wolves are a
crap idea...

Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well excuse me for thinking reintroducing lynx, bears and wolves are a
crap idea...

I would if you were - but you were merely reacting emotionally, and
not thinking. There are reasonable arguments against reintroductions
(weak ones in the case of lynx and wolves), but all the assertions
against have been irrational prejudice, picked up from fairy tales
and the likes of Daily Wail silly season articles.

It probably IS a bad idea to consider reintroducing bears, at least
unless some pretty massive other restoration projects are under way,
but everybody who has looked at the issues rationally has concluded
that reintroducing lynx and wolves would be practically risk-free
to humans (which is not to say that it would succeed).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/15 12:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well excuse me for thinking reintroducing lynx, bears and wolves are a
crap idea...

I would if you were - but you were merely reacting emotionally, and
not thinking.

So? I'm happy with the ecosystem in this country and I don't want anyone
introducing any new (by modern standards) predatory animals.

There are reasonable arguments against reintroductions
(weak ones in the case of lynx and wolves), but all the assertions
against have been irrational prejudice, picked up from fairy tales
and the likes of Daily Wail silly season articles.

It probably IS a bad idea to consider reintroducing bears, at least
unless some pretty massive other restoration projects are under way,
but everybody who has looked at the issues rationally has concluded
that reintroducing lynx and wolves would be practically risk-free
to humans (which is not to say that it would succeed).

Hmm let me see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._America#2010s

That might not be a high frequency of deaths, but I still do not want
the buggers in my country.

And I fancy my chances with a chasing cow better than a bear. At least
of I get over a fence or up a tree, I'm probably OK. The bear is not
going to stop.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2015 10:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
and culling by a trained marksman is surely more humane that being
chased, brought down and gored to death by a lynx.

Not sure about that.

A deer which is "winged" by the marksman is likely to die a lingering
death. A deer which has been caught by a lynx isn't likely to get away -
their defence is not to get caught in the first place.

Andy
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2015 20:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
Hmm. I would have thought a marksman with a high-velocity rifle would
achieve an instant kill, although I would agree that indiscriminate
shooting, with a shot-gun for instance, might well result in what you
suggest.

You've never done any hunting have you?

Suppose he's lined up for a clean shot to the heart, and just as he
pulls the trigger the deer moves. He doesn't kill it outright, and the
deer runs off - not at full speed, but still too fast to get another
hit. It won't happen often, but it does happen.

Andy

Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 May 2015 09:59:59 +0100, Fuschia
wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2015 08:30:52 +0100, (Larry Stoter) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in
some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the
Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Lynx are without doubt lovely creatures.
But if there is an excessive deer population, wouldn't it be better
for humans to eat them rather than import wild animals to do the job?

Venison is delicious and much more healthy than most farm animals.

and culling by a trained marksman is surely more humane that being
chased, brought down and gored to death by a lynx.

I don't see the need for the re-introduction of species that have died
out from the UK, just because they used to be around decades or
centuries ago. Move on!

Agree.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My evidence: "Britain: It was thought that the lynx had died out in
Britain either about 10,000 years ago, after the ice had retreated, or
about 4,000 years ago, during a cooler and wetter climate change.
However, carbon dating of lynx skulls taken from the National Museums
of Scotland and the Craven caves in North Yorkshire show they lived in
Britain between 80 and 425 AD". From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_lynx

There have been other reported occurrences of Lynx in the UK in the
last century or so, but they were all considered to have escaped from
captivity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_big_cats

I'm not saying you're wrong, but your evidence is....?

" Lynx in Britain were wiped out in the 17th century"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx

Steve

Good job too. We don't want wolves back either.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/05/15 08:30, Larry Stoter wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in
some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the
Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Larry Stoter

What happens when they start eating people's small dogs and other pets?

Does not seem like a great idea to me. The accidental reintroduction of
boar in the Forest of Dean has not gone too well either.

I think it's very bad idea to introduce lynx back and if that happens I
might have to get my gun out, which is not a good idea.
FGS, we do not need wolves and lynx back. there's not room for them now.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2015 21:58, Christina Websell wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

I don't see the need for the re-introduction of species that have died
out from the UK, just because they used to be around decades or
centuries ago. Move on!

Agree.

Tell that to all the folk making a mint from the ornithological
tourism in the Hebrides and West Highlands after the re-introduction
of the white tailed sea eagle.
--
Phil Cook
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry Stoter wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Larry Stoter

Whatever you think, proposals for the reintroduction of Lynx are in the
pipeline, see:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...P=share_btn_tw

Larry

Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Larry Stoter wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Whatever you think, proposals for the reintroduction of Lynx are in the
pipeline, see:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...P=share_btn_tw

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria of the ignorant, it is unlikely to
be in time to save many of the UK's woodland underplants and animals
(including birds and butterflies). I don't expect to live to see the
deer menace (and it IS an ecological menace) alleviated.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/15 12:02, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria of the ignorant, it is unlikely to
be in time to save many of the UK's woodland underplants and animals
(including birds and butterflies). I don't expect to live to see the
deer menace (and it IS an ecological menace) alleviated.

So let me get this straight - anyone who disagrees with you is
"hysterical" and "ignorant".

How patronising.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 May 2015 12:30:50 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/05/15 12:02, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria of the ignorant, it is unlikely to
be in time to save many of the UK's woodland underplants and animals
(including birds and butterflies). I don't expect to live to see the
deer menace (and it IS an ecological menace) alleviated.

So let me get this straight - anyone who disagrees with you is
"hysterical" and "ignorant".

How patronising.

No, just you.

You're special.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 12:30:50 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/05/15 12:02, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria of the ignorant, it is unlikely to
be in time to save many of the UK's woodland underplants and animals
(including birds and butterflies). I don't expect to live to see the
deer menace (and it IS an ecological menace) alleviated.

So let me get this straight - anyone who disagrees with you is
"hysterical" and "ignorant".

How patronising.

No, just you.

You're special.

In case anyone failed to notice, this was a forgery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.