Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

On 03/05/15 15:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well, whatever. I do not want to be meeting lynx, bears or wolves when I
go walking. I am very grateful this country has none left and I like it
that way...

You do know that roe deer are more dangerous to humans than either
lynx or wolves, don't you? And that cattle are more dangerous than
even bears?

Sorry but that is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well, whatever. I do not want to be meeting lynx, bears or wolves when I
go walking. I am very grateful this country has none left and I like it
that way...

You do know that roe deer are more dangerous to humans than either
lynx or wolves, don't you? And that cattle are more dangerous than
even bears?

Sorry but that is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard.

Look it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/15 17:00, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well, whatever. I do not want to be meeting lynx, bears or wolves when I
go walking. I am very grateful this country has none left and I like it
that way...

You do know that roe deer are more dangerous to humans than either
lynx or wolves, don't you? And that cattle are more dangerous than
even bears?

Sorry but that is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard.

Look it up.

I don't need to.

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

I'll be buggered if I'm going to walk in a field full of bears!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The latter see EVERYTHING as prey!

I can't but think that you had been chosen for staticstical purposes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Michael

Unable. Over and out. Ω

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article u,
Michael Uplawski wrote:
The latter see EVERYTHING as prey!

I can't but think that you had been chosen for staticstical purposes.

Nice one :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Fuschia wrote:

(Larry Stoter) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in
some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the
Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Lynx are without doubt lovely creatures.
But if there is an excessive deer population, wouldn't it be better
for humans to eat them rather than import wild animals to do the job?

Venison is delicious and much more healthy than most farm animals.

and culling by a trained marksman is surely more humane that being
chased, brought down and gored to death by a lynx.

I don't see the need for the re-introduction of species that have died
out from the UK, just because they used to be around decades or
centuries ago. Move on!

They didn't "die out" it is believed they were hunted to extinction for
their fur. They are native to this country and, like the beaver, I see no
reason not to get them back.

As for a marksman kill being a more humane death what on earth has that to
do with anything? You would have all the carnivores starve to death because
what they do is not humane? Yes a lot of deer are shot including in the
Royal Parks but they have bred alarmingly in the UK without natural
predators and we now see Muntjak, for example everywhere, including urban
gardens.

I presume by your comment you disagree with the reintroduction of the Great
Bustard, and the Beaver etc.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I'll be buggered if I'm going to walk in a field full of bears!

Your posterior is quite safe. Bears are neither grazers nor social
animals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:04:34 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

Bulls tend to be the other way around.

And a lot of people not from an agricultural background do not realise
a farmer can have certain breeds of Bull in a field with a public
right of way across it if the Bull is accompanied by Cows.
The Breeds that are prohibited and listed here
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-...sponsibilities
are all dairy breeds. Those small sweet looking Jerseys and Guernseys
can be the most ferocious of them all.

G.Harman
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

Bulls tend to be the other way around.

And a lot of people not from an agricultural background do not realise
a farmer can have certain breeds of Bull in a field with a public
right of way across it if the Bull is accompanied by Cows.
The Breeds that are prohibited and listed here
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-...sponsibilities
are all dairy breeds. Those small sweet looking Jerseys and Guernseys
can be the most ferocious of them all.

Right. I am also very cautious about Highland, because they are
often left to be a lot more feral than most cattle. But all that
means is not walking through the middle of a herd, or otherwise
being an idiot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

They didn't "die out" it is believed they were hunted to extinction for
their fur. They are native to this country and, like the beaver, I see no
reason not to get them back.

You've not read the posts by Shazzbat, MN and myself on that topic,
just preceding yours, then.

I have. I rely on more authoritative sources, like Yalden.

As for a marksman kill being a more humane death what on earth has that to
do with anything? You would have all the carnivores starve to death because
what they do is not humane?

Of course not, but if lynx aren't re-introduced here in the first
place, they won't be killing to stay alive, will they.

And more deer will die of grangrene and starvation. Predation is
more humane. Even if the hunters intended to, they could not track
down sick and injured deer without hunting them with dogs.

I presume by your comment you disagree with the reintroduction of the Great
Bustard, and the Beaver etc.

Not particularly. I'm neutral about it. But they are benign compared
to the lynx.

You seem to be confusing the Eurasian lynx with a sabretoothed tiger.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

Bulls tend to be the other way around.

And a lot of people not from an agricultural background do not realise
a farmer can have certain breeds of Bull in a field with a public
right of way across it if the Bull is accompanied by Cows.
The Breeds that are prohibited and listed here
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-...sponsibilities
are all dairy breeds. Those small sweet looking Jerseys and Guernseys
can be the most ferocious of them all.

Right. I am also very cautious about Highland, because they are
often left to be a lot more feral than most cattle. But all that
means is not walking through the middle of a herd, or otherwise
being an idiot.

One aspect of Highlands' "feral" nature is that the cows don't keep
their calves at foot (as other farm breeds do). Highlands hide their
calf in rough undergrowth and though the mother may be a considerable
distance from it, she is guarding it and will attack without warning if
she perceives it to be threatened; for instance by a human walking close
to the hidden calf or even just between it and her. Our farm neighbour
who raised them, used to ask us to keep off the moor during calving, for
our own safety.

Janet
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

Bulls tend to be the other way around.

And a lot of people not from an agricultural background do not realise
a farmer can have certain breeds of Bull in a field with a public
right of way across it if the Bull is accompanied by Cows.
The Breeds that are prohibited and listed here
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-...sponsibilities
are all dairy breeds. Those small sweet looking Jerseys and Guernseys
can be the most ferocious of them all.

I suppose the dairy bull does not get handled twice a day like the cows
(unless the milkmaid is not looking too hard!). I've heard it said dairy
cows are less freaked by humans due to the constant handling.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/15 19:46, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
wrote:

I regularly walk around cows and I know what they are like (and yes,
they can sometimes freak and charge, moreso beef cattle than dairy stock).

Bulls tend to be the other way around.

And a lot of people not from an agricultural background do not realise
a farmer can have certain breeds of Bull in a field with a public
right of way across it if the Bull is accompanied by Cows.
The Breeds that are prohibited and listed here
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-...sponsibilities
are all dairy breeds. Those small sweet looking Jerseys and Guernseys
can be the most ferocious of them all.

Right. I am also very cautious about Highland, because they are
often left to be a lot more feral than most cattle. But all that
means is not walking through the middle of a herd, or otherwise
being an idiot.

While certainly not wanting to make light of the dangers
of cattle (or hippos), there are many free-range highland
cattle that coexist with walkers, golfers and cars on
Minchinhampton Common.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerzzz/9248644430/
http://www.stroudlife.co.uk/images/l...6599-large.jpg

I can still visualise a cow with hooves skittering on asphalt
as it zigzagged through a row of cars at a junction - after it
suddenly realised the rest of the herd had just disappeared
over the brow of the hill

Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

Right. I am also very cautious about Highland, because they are
often left to be a lot more feral than most cattle. But all that
means is not walking through the middle of a herd, or otherwise
being an idiot.

While certainly not wanting to make light of the dangers
of cattle (or hippos), there are many free-range highland
cattle that coexist with walkers, golfers and cars on
Minchinhampton Common.

I said cautious, not panicky - unlike certain posters on this thread!
Also, the places where I encounter them tend to be ones where they
are not used to walkers, so a bit of extra care is indicated.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I presume by your comment you disagree with the reintroduction of the Great
Bustard, and the Beaver etc.

Not particularly. I'm neutral about it. But they are benign compared
to the lynx.

You seem to be confusing the Eurasian lynx with a sabretoothed tiger.

You've completely lost me there. The lynx is carnivorous. The beaver
is herbivorous, the bustard's diet is green plant material and insects
in more or less equal amounts. So they're more benign than the lynx.
What's the sabre-toothed tiger got to do with it?

Read King Solomon's Ring by Konrad Lorenz. If you do so, you will
see why benign and carnivorous are not even remotely antonyms.
But I suspect that you are dearly attached to your prejudices.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.