Old 23-06-2015, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimmer/brush cutter for under low trees - is there such a thing?

We have an orchard with quite a lot of trees, the apple trees in
particular have low spreading branches.

I am looking for some sort of strimmer/brush cutter that is easy to
manoeuvre under the low braches. It's possible but not easy with a
standard strimmer because they're designed to work at a spcific angle.

I used to have a Bosch electric strimmer with wheels which helped a
bit but the wheels were really too small for the rough ground and it
still suffered from needing to be kept at the right angle to do its
job properly.

What I want is a small (but tough) trimmer with wheels, a sort of mini
rotary mower I suppose. Are there any such things out there?

There is the Black & Decker ST5530CM 3 in 1 String Trimmer & City
Mower but that still looks as if the handle can't be hinged down to
get under trees.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-06-2015, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
On 23/06/2015 12:01, wrote:
We have an orchard with quite a lot of trees, the apple trees in
particular have low spreading branches.

I am looking for some sort of strimmer/brush cutter that is easy to
manoeuvre under the low braches. It's possible but not easy with a
standard strimmer because they're designed to work at a spcific angle.

I used to have a Bosch electric strimmer with wheels which helped a
bit but the wheels were really too small for the rough ground and it
still suffered from needing to be kept at the right angle to do its
job properly.

What I want is a small (but tough) trimmer with wheels, a sort of mini
rotary mower I suppose. Are there any such things out there?

There is the Black & Decker ST5530CM 3 in 1 String Trimmer & City
Mower but that still looks as if the handle can't be hinged down to
get under trees.

If the branches are that low then when you have fruit they will probably
be on the ground.
I would gradually remove all branches below 3ft or 4 ft.

Yes, I realise that's the 'proper' way to do things and we do try and
get rid of the low branches. However there are other places where I
want to strim under low branches as well as the orchard - and I need
to deal with the existing situation in the orchard.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-06-2015, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:01:50 +0100, wrote:

I am looking for some sort of strimmer/brush cutter that is easy to
manoeuvre under the low braches.

Why not use a hover mower?

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...

We have an orchard with quite a lot of trees, the apple trees in
particular have low spreading branches.

I am looking for some sort of strimmer/brush cutter that is easy to
manoeuvre under the low braches. It's possible but not easy with a
standard strimmer because they're designed to work at a spcific angle.

I used to have a Bosch electric strimmer with wheels which helped a
bit but the wheels were really too small for the rough ground and it
still suffered from needing to be kept at the right angle to do its
job properly.

What I want is a small (but tough) trimmer with wheels, a sort of mini
rotary mower I suppose. Are there any such things out there?

There is the Black & Decker ST5530CM 3 in 1 String Trimmer & City
Mower but that still looks as if the handle can't be hinged down to
get under trees.

This is what you want but I suspect they aren't the prices you want.
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcutt...owers--Regards. Bob Hobden.Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK

Old 23-06-2015, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

wrote in message ...

[...]

That should be...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcutt...trimmer-mowers

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-06-2015, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
What I want is a small (but tough) trimmer with wheels, a sort of mini
rotary mower I suppose. Are there any such things out there?

There is the Black & Decker ST5530CM 3 in 1 String Trimmer & City
Mower but that still looks as if the handle can't be hinged down to
get under trees.

This is what you want but I suspect they aren't the prices you want.
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcutt...owers--Regards.
Bob Hobden.Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK

Not quite, they don't go flat enough to get under low trees. I have a
scissor bar mower to do the job the above machines do. Does a better
job IMHO too, and no cutting cord to replace.

I want something as light as a 300 or 400 watt strimmer which can lie
flat on the ground and still trim as intended and which has something
to keep it at the right distance from the ground.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 24-06-2015, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
scissor bar mower to do the job the above machines do. Does a better

'sickle bar' is what I meant!

--
Chris Green
·
Old 24-06-2015, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 5:48:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Well, that is the sort of thing you need. The handlebars are adjustable, you can lower them if needed or buy models that the front cutter extends out much further than the engine cowl, giving reach.

Unfortunately you sound a lot like most customers I met in the industry. You want a cheap domestic throwaway product to do a commercial job. Just because they may not be a business here, it is the use that defines commercial and domestic.

I worked for a manufacturer, but used to do a few shows, to support the dealers and keep up to date, with customers and competitor products. It would never cease to amaze me the amount of people, who would have large houses with say a third of an acre, and want to get away a £50 Flymo.

I used to tell them no, they would persist and say surely if you took your time, you could use it. At which point I would say, Yes sir, and, you could drive London to Aberdeen and back each day (time/traffic permitting) in a Mini, but I wouldn't recommend it. Because a) It is going to be very uncomfortable and b) You'll be buying another one soon, because it isn't built to do that.

Might I suggest, a pair of shears and a quality pair of knee pads.

Old 24-06-2015, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:

This is what you want but I suspect they aren't the prices you want.
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcutt...owers--Regards.
Bob Hobden.Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Trimmer-charger/dp/B00NMJ2OF0

This could be closer to what you want, but you might have to be
inventive to get the handle angle right for your needs.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the [un]helpful comments. I already have:-

A kubota diesel lawn mower
An Iseki TU318F tractor with hydraulic lift and some tools
A viking sickle bar mower
Two or three strimmers of various makes.

I'm not expecting to spend £50 and get the perfect answer! OK?

--
Chris Green
·
Old 25-06-2015, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:

This is what you want but I suspect they aren't the prices you want.
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcutt...owers--Regards.

Bob Hobden.Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Trimmer-charger/dp/B00NMJ2OF0

This could be closer to what you want, but you might have to be
inventive to get the handle angle right for your needs.

Yes, it could well be, does anyone have any experience of actually
using something like this?

--
Chris Green
·