Old 18-07-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default trees in the park

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA
Old 18-07-2015, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2015 12:56, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:41:03 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Thanks, but kind of irrelevant to the question
Old 18-07-2015, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Thanks, but kind of irrelevant to the question

You want to know what the trees are. Chris gave you two sites to help
you!
Old 18-07-2015, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Thanks, but kind of irrelevant to the question

You want to know what the trees are. Chris gave you two sites to help
you!

The Royal Parks Dept presumably know what the trees are. My question was
whether such information is available to the public. Why would it not
be? Perhaps it's a state secret
Old 18-07-2015, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

To me it looks like you need a sort of Google Earth with tree name.
I've just tried zooming in to St.James Park and it is possible to see
individual trees. Perhaps somebody should start labeling them. Have a
look at St.James Park and tell us which tree you want to know about?
Someone in this group may be able to recognise and identify it from
above.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 18-07-2015, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2015 16:08, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Thanks, but kind of irrelevant to the question

Irrelevant???

You asked for "a plan of such things online".

You were directed to the online results of The Urban Tree Survey, which
identifies individual trees and mapped their location.

Janet.

Actually I was not directed to the Urban Tree Survey but to the link
below it, which is another "identify this tree" guide. However the
survey sounds interesting, so thanks for mentioning it.
My initial point remains though. Somewhere there must exist a plan
showing at least the well established trees in the Royal Parks, and this
would be of great interest to visitors. The Trees of London site
http://www.londontrees.co.uk

is very informative, but doesn't include any of the main parks.

Old 18-07-2015, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking the trouble to zoom. As it happens the little Google
car has been along all the paths in the park, so some decent images may
yet be available in Street View. A fascinating virtual tour of the park.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing the
names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been around for
ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment which everyone
was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might expect there to be
a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it would mostly be plane,
but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any ideas how one might get
this information? TIA

You may find this of some help, scroll down...
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/press-...al-parks/trees

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-07-2015, 03:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Wow! Thank you so much for posting those links. I'm not all that great
at identifying European trees and those links will be a great help to me
and make me observe the tree before I get near a computer.

Old 19-07-2015, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2015 22:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one
might expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this
case it would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too.
Anyone any ideas how one might get this information? TIA

You may find this of some help, scroll down...
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/press-...al-parks/trees

Thanks Bob. Very interesting, and strange that I didn't come across it
when searching the site.
One wonders what London would look like without its plane trees!
Old 19-07-2015, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Wow! Thank you so much for posting those links. I'm not all that great
at identifying European trees and those links will be a great help to me
and make me observe the tree before I get near a computer.

I have the Collins Guide to British Trees but somehow it's never with me
when I come across an unfamiliar tree.
The Natural History Museum survey is interesting but records only one
tree in the whole of St.James Park! And now the survey is closed.
I hope it won't be long before a smartphone app emerges that tells you
what sort of tree you're standing next to. Technically doable but are
there enough arboriculturists?
Old 19-07-2015, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What is needed is an application with the ability to recognise trees
from their visual appearance. It's an image recognition but that's a
long way off. Facial and number plate recognition are just a small
step.

Steve

Old 19-07-2015, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:44:25 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

On 18/07/2015 22:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one
might expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this
case it would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too.
Anyone any ideas how one might get this information? TIA

You may find this of some help, scroll down...
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/press-...-on-the-royal-

parks/trees

Thanks Bob. Very interesting, and strange that I didn't come across it
when searching the site.
One wonders what London would look like without its plane trees!

Have you tried the forestry commission? Just an idea, not guaranteed to
be a good one.

The royalparks site has errors that I noticed at a glance. They call
Nyssa sylvatica (I just killed one, hence the interest) a "tulip tree"
but in fact it is called a Black Tupelo, or Blackgum. Also they claim
Acer saccharinum is used for syrup, confusing it with Acer saccharum, a
common mistake. In actuality it's a poor syrup tree. /pendant mode.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 19-07-2015, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

stuart noble wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

[...]

Well don't hang about too long. :-)

Email the Royal Parks and put them straight.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.