Old 19-07-2015, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default trees in the park

"stuart noble" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one
might expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this
case it would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too.
Anyone any ideas how one might get this information? TIA

You may find this of some help, scroll down...
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/press-...al-parks/trees

Thanks Bob. Very interesting, and strange that I didn't come across it when
searching the site.
One wonders what London would look like without its plane trees!

I suspect future generations will find out as they don't seem to plant large
trees anymore, it's all small stuff now.

I come from a generation that remember the huge Elms that dotted the
skyline, the lines of tall poplars, the Planes, sadly either gone or going.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-07-2015, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2015 10:49, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:08:09 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 19/07/2015 03:59, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 18/07/2015 9:56 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:41:03 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Wow! Thank you so much for posting those links. I'm not all that great
at identifying European trees and those links will be a great help to me
and make me observe the tree before I get near a computer.

I have the Collins Guide to British Trees but somehow it's never with me
when I come across an unfamiliar tree.
The Natural History Museum survey is interesting but records only one
tree in the whole of St.James Park! And now the survey is closed.
I hope it won't be long before a smartphone app emerges that tells you
what sort of tree you're standing next to. Technically doable but are
there enough arboriculturists?

What is needed is an application with the ability to recognise trees
from their visual appearance. It's an image recognition but that's a
long way off. Facial and number plate recognition are just a small
step.

Steve

I see there's an app called Treezilla produced by Open University. Have
been unable to complete the registration process though. Sigh
Old 19-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"stuart noble" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

We were informed the other day that Elms, which we have in a specific position more as bushes than trees, will only grow to 20 ft, then ............. :-(
Old 19-07-2015, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2015 11:41, stuart noble wrote:
Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

Post a photo. Worked for me

For trees, a distant shot, one of the trunk, and one of some
leaves/flowers would be good.

Andy
Old 19-07-2015, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2015 1:31 AM, stuart noble wrote:

I see there's an app called Treezilla produced by Open University. Have
been unable to complete the registration process though. Sigh

If you really want to know the identity of this tree, why don't you try
posting a description? Given the identifications made by some of the
members of this group over the years based on pretty vague descriptions,
I'm sure someone here will be enlighten you.

Old 20-07-2015, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2015 23:34, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 20/07/2015 1:31 AM, stuart noble wrote:

I see there's an app called Treezilla produced by Open University. Have
been unable to complete the registration process though. Sigh

If you really want to know the identity of this tree, why don't you try
posting a description? Given the identifications made by some of the
members of this group over the years based on pretty vague descriptions,
I'm sure someone here will be enlighten you.

It's not this particular tree I'm interested in but the lack of
accessible information about trees in general, especially in the London
royal parks.
There probably aren't too many trees in flower (white) at the moment
that have such a sweet scent. Bunches of small white, bell-like flowers.
What really bugs me is I didn't take a picture, particularly as the
phone has gps! Now of course I can't remember the exact location and it
won't be in flower next time I'm there.
Old 20-07-2015, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message

It's not this particular tree I'm interested in but the lack of accessible information
about trees in general, especially in the London royal parks.
There probably aren't too many trees in flower (white) at the moment that have such a
sweet scent. Bunches of small white, bell-like flowers.

Try Halesia carolina

Phil

Old 21-07-2015, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2015 20:36, stuart noble wrote:
Indian Bean Tree (Catalpa bignonioides) apparently. Just had
confirmation from the Royal Parks Dept. If we were Japanese there would
be a festival celebrating the arrival of its blossom!
Thanks to all who offered advice

Ours isn't even thinking about flowering and last year the wind blew
all the blossom off so we got no beans. I'm wondering if we should give
up on it - a windy hillside isn't right for it.

Andy

Old 31-07-2015, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing the
names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been around for
ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment which everyone
was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might expect there to
be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it would mostly be
plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any ideas how one might
get this information? TIA

You could buy yourself a book about trees? remember books?

Old 31-07-2015, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2015 18:03, Christina Websell wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing the
names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been around for
ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment which everyone
was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might expect there to
be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it would mostly be
plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any ideas how one might
get this information? TIA

You could buy yourself a book about trees? remember books?

I have the Collins guide, but I don't take it (or my camera) everywhere
I go.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/08/2015 07:49, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:14:45 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 31/07/2015 18:03, Christina Websell wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing the
names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been around for
ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment which everyone
was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might expect there to
be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it would mostly be
plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any ideas how one might
get this information? TIA

You could buy yourself a book about trees? remember books?

I have the Collins guide, but I don't take it (or my camera) everywhere
I go.

You could take leaves home and look them up.

Yes, then there might be a 50% chance of identifying the tree! :-)

As the various parks depts already have this information, I am puzzled
as to why this isn't made available, digitally or otherwise, to the public

Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

with the right book.
--