Old 03-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Registered User

Default Will it work?

In 2008 the Isle of Wight Council said that Shanklin Theatre would close. A Trust and a 'Friends of Shanklin Theatre' was formed and on April 23rd 2010 we took over the running of Shanklin Theatre. The whole building was neglected and since then a lot of work has been done by the very many volunteers, who in 2012, were awarded 'The Queens Award for Voluntary Services' and we have had visits of Royalty.

One of the things being done is making the place look nice with flowers here there and everywhere, especially on the front and this is where my question comes in. If you look at the photos in

Theatre Balcony Flower Troughs Summer 2015 | Your free online photo album with MyAlbum.co.uk!

you will see troughs of flowers. But some troughs are empty because they come behind the SHANKLIN THEATRE sign.

Question. Could those empty troughs be used as compost bins for the deadheading and weeds. They are concrete and do have a drainage hole in them.

Make our own compost. Layer of weeds flower heads, layer of earth from the other troughs, another layer of weeds etc and build one trough up as the earthy one is emptied then start on that one.

Technical question. My bins at home get compost worms from the soil? Would I have to introduce them to these bins as they are so high off the ground?

(Not really a plug, but if you are visiting the Isle of Wight, put Shanklin Theatre on you programme. You won't be disappointed with the show "Best of the West End) Shanklin Theatre

.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mike crowe" wrote

album with MyAlbum.co.uk!' (http://tinyurl.com/nvx6uw7)

you will see troughs of flowers. But some troughs are empty because they
come behind the SHANKLIN THEATRE sign.

Question. Could those empty troughs be used as compost bins for the
deadheading and weeds. They are concrete and do have a drainage hole in
them.

Make our own compost. Layer of weeds flower heads, layer of earth from
the other troughs, another layer of weeds etc and build one trough up as
the earthy one is emptied then start on that one.

Technical question. My bins at home get compost worms from the soil?
Would I have to introduce them to these bins as they are so high off the
ground?

The problem might be that when plants rot they make lots of smelly and
staining brown liquid which will drip out of the troughs onto whatever they
are on. Looking at the photo that may be the patrons on a wet evening!

How about taller plants to rise above the name board?

Yes you would need to introduce worms once the compost has started to rot
down (available from any coarse angling shop). But in that position I'm not
convinced it's a good idea.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/15 07:58, mike crowe wrote:

you will see troughs of flowers. But some troughs are empty because they
come behind the SHANKLIN THEATRE sign.

Question. Could those empty troughs be used as compost bins for the
deadheading and weeds. They are concrete and do have a drainage hole in
them.

Any chance of getting some volunteers to lift the troughs onto some
bricks so that the top is at the same height as the sign?

--

Jeff
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 03/08/15 07:58, mike crowe wrote:

you will see troughs of flowers. But some troughs are empty because they
come behind the SHANKLIN THEATRE sign.

Question. Could those empty troughs be used as compost bins for the
deadheading and weeds. They are concrete and do have a drainage hole in
them.

Any chance of getting some volunteers to lift the troughs onto some
bricks so that the top is at the same height as the sign?

--

Jeff
In actual fact Jeff we don't want the troughs behind the sign used for flowers for two reasons. One, the flowers may flop over and cover the SHANKLIN THEATRE sign and two, access has to be made at the back of the sign right along for maintenance and if they are planted up AND lifted, then access would be impossible. The sign is lit from within!

However, we are doing a 'Wilfred Pickles' and have started the empty trough with a little layer of weeds we took off the other troughs today.

Thanks folks.

.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
How Did Stonehenge Work? Matthew Montchalin Plant Science 5 26-04-2003 01:26 PM
New algae treatment, will require some plumbing work K30a Ponds 1 29-03-2003 03:20 AM
Fence Post Protector does it work? has anybody used it? dp Gardening 7 12-02-2003 05:25 PM
Will this work? John Foote Lawns 0 16-11-2002 05:09 PM