Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT spiders

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:06:09 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:44:12 +0100, Broadback

wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each
morning.

They climb back up the waste pipe.

So how do they get past the trap?

They don't go past the trap when they are flushed, so once the tap is turned
off, they simply climb out of the waste and wait in the bath for 24 hours
for it to happen again, this is because they can't get out of the bath due
to the sides being too smooth.

If the OP wishes to get rid of them, simply scoop up on a piece of paper and
lob em out of the bathroom window, it only needs to be done once instead of
bathing them every day.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each
morning.

They climb back up the waste pipe.

So how do they get past the trap?

They don't go past the trap when they are flushed, so once the tap is turned
off, they simply climb out of the waste and wait in the bath for 24 hours
for it to happen again, this is because they can't get out of the bath due
to the sides being too smooth.

If the OP wishes to get rid of them, simply scoop up on a piece of paper and
lob em out of the bathroom window, it only needs to be done once instead of
bathing them every day.

But every one has been destroyed, yet they still keep coming. I assume
they come down from above and cannot get back. They certainly can't get
in through the waste pipe, as spiders cannot swim!!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each
morning.

They climb back up the waste pipe.

So how do they get past the trap?

They don't go past the trap when they are flushed, so once the tap is
turned off, they simply climb out of the waste and wait in the bath for 24
hours for it to happen again, this is because they can't get out of the
bath due to the sides being too smooth.

If the OP wishes to get rid of them, simply scoop up on a piece of paper
and lob em out of the bathroom window, it only needs to be done once
instead of bathing them every day.

The horrid scary ones that I've flushed down the plug hole never appear in
the bath again.
Ugggg!

Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank goodness
neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every morning there
are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all coming from? It
is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

It's spider breeding season. The boys are on the march after the girls.
Please do not flush them down the plughole, they will die if you do. Get
them in a towel and put them outside. I was once very afraid of spiders but
I've progressed to "scoop up in fluffy towel and flap outside"
I can't do the glass/cardboard thing. The minute the spider runs up the
glass, I drop it.

Tina

Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I just drape a mat over the edge of the bath so they can get in and out

---

Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

They don't get in through the waste pipe, these are spiders you already had
in your house which you don't know about until this time of year when they
are marching around looking for love and fall into the bath.
Don't flush them down the plughole, just get them out of the bath and put
them outside.
If I can do it, you can.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

So what do you think has happened to them? Have you killed them because
they look scary?
I have struggled with fear of spiders all my life but it's not their fault,
it's mine.
Try the fluffy towel approach. They don't deserve to die because I have an
unreasonable fear of them.
And it is unreasonable. I know that they cannot harm me but it makes no
difference about their scariness. The bigger they are, the worst the fear
gets.
But it's not their fault, so I try not to harm them.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2015 11:44, Broadback wrote:
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

look at this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGGX2k36YQ

Malcolm
Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have struggled with fear of spiders all my life but it's not their fault,
it's mine.

I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's an instinctive thing that's hard
wired into our brains from way back.
I've trained myself to pick them up by closing my hand over them. They
freeze and play dead, which makes it a whole lot easier. Dustpan and
brush works well too IME

---

Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Nicely said Christina! I hate them too. It's totally unreasonable I
know, but I try not to harm them. Two yers ago I bought from Amazon a
"Spider catcher" but so far I've not seen a spide in the house!
Garden spiders don't bother me, other than their webs which get me
when I walk down the garden.
Live and let live.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:33:11 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank goodness
neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every morning there
are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all coming from? It
is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

It's spider breeding season. The boys are on the march after the girls.
Please do not flush them down the plughole, they will die if you do. Get
them in a towel and put them outside. I was once very afraid of spiders but
I've progressed to "scoop up in fluffy towel and flap outside"
I can't do the glass/cardboard thing. The minute the spider runs up the
glass, I drop it.

Tina

I prefer the glass and card trick. with a towel, tissue etc I cannot
see where the spider is, with the glass I can.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

Don't flush the spiders away they have just fallen into the bath and
can't climb out. Catch them in a glass and put them out. Don't catch
them in your hand as some UK species pack a bite which you probably
won't feel but may react to. They can be quite dangerous. About ten
years ago my wife developed a large red swelling on her arm. The
doctor immediately diagnosed it as a spider bite. Apparently it's due
a spider that comes for Madeira spreading north over the warmer parts
of the UK. We live in Cheshire so it's definitely been around here for
over ten years.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM
Gardening & Spiders subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 14 15-11-2002 09:59 PM